Wheel hop.......

softuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an 06 & the wheel hop is the worst I've ever experienced.I had a CTS-V & they were famous for their wheel hop,but this is much worse. It's so bad that when it starts it knocks the tranny out of gear:crazy2:

I'm not talking about dropping the clutch in 1st gear,I haven't done that once in this car. I'm talking about at the top of 1st gear,a split second before you would shift,the rears break loose & the car does its best Peter Rabbit impersonation.

Is this normal? If not,any help would be appreciated....I don't want to break something & it sounds like the driveshaft is coming thru the floorboard.

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an 06 & the wheel hop is the worst I've ever experienced.I had a CTS-V & they were famous for their wheel hop,but this is much worse. It's so bad that when it starts it knocks the tranny out of gear:crazy2:

I'm not talking about dropping the clutch in 1st gear,I haven't done that once in this car. I'm talking about at the top of 1st gear,a split second before you would shift,the rears break loose & the car does its best Peter Rabbit impersonation.

Is this normal? If not,any help would be appreciated....I don't want to break something & it sounds like the driveshaft is coming thru the floorboard.
Runflats strike again
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/599061-fix-wheel-hop.html

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change out the motor mounts and transmission mount for harder ones and your problem will be gone. You do not need to go to the expense of Moton Shocks unless you want to. I have no wheel hop in my 2003 after changing the motor mounts and transmission mount running my tires at 34 psi, front and 30 psi, rear cold inflation.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but welcome to the club.......2003w/ 10k miles . I just order wheels and the pirelli p-zeros so i'm hoping to get rid of some of it. When the wheels come in (5-weeks) I post back the progress. Its the roll-in when I'm in 1st gear that really ticks me off

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Were the tires heated up or cold when the wheel hop occurred?

Either way its still a bad problem that 90% of vipers have. Sure in some circumstances it will be more prone to wheel hop but mine will wheel hop in the RAIN:mad: It will do the same on a warm day (warm road) or a cold day with a cold road., I will be thrilled if my new tires stop my wheel hop

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper world.

You can limit or eliminate wheel hop by:

1 - Picking a smooth road to acellerate *******
2 - Warm roads and warm tires will offer much better traction
3 - Getting some stickier tires. PS2's are good, Toyos are better, Kumhos are way better
4 - New motor mounts will help - stiffer ones are better (from Woodhouse)
5 - Lighter wheels will help too
6 - Motons will help but really aren't necessary if you do the above

Dan

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On our highly modified cars we change to a non runflat tire, change to a shock with adjustable rebound dampening and install a Quaife differential. This seems to do the job with 800rwhp.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc
310-841-6996

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either way its still a bad problem that 90% of vipers have. Sure in some circumstances it will be more prone to wheel hop but mine will wheel hop in the RAIN:mad: It will do the same on a warm day (warm road) or a cold day with a cold road., I will be thrilled if my new tires stop my wheel hop

In my experience, the temperature of the road surface has far less of an effect than the temperature of the tires with respect to wheel hop. It takes a few miles to heat up the tires properly regardless of the type of tires being used. If the tires are not properly heated up, wheel hop is almost inevitable.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On our highly modified cars we change to a non runflat tire, change to a shock with adjustable rebound dampening and install a Quaife differential. This seems to do the job with 800rwhp.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc
310-841-6996

what kind of shocks would u suggest?
details?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an 06 & the wheel hop is the worst I've ever experienced.I had a CTS-V & they were famous for their wheel hop,......

So have you ordered; mounts/motons/kw's or a quaife yet? Mounts made the biggest difference in my opinion..start with those. Contrary to what some have said, the added vibrations are minimal.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So have you ordered; mounts/motons/kw's or a quaife yet? Mounts made the biggest difference in my opinion..start with those. Contrary to what some have said, the added vibrations are minimal.

That's good info to know - Thanks!

I definitely want to reduce hop.:omg:

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What he said and :

Initially the vibrations from the mounts is significant. BUT after a couple hundred miles it actually subsides quite a bit.

And it does help with lots of things including hop, shifter feel, if you have headers they're a double bonus your tubes will last a lot longer.

Cheap and easy to install on a Gen III.

A quaife and the right tires make a huge difference also.

Last edited:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change out the motor mounts and transmission mount for harder ones and your problem will be gone. You do not need to go to the expense of Moton Shocks unless you want to. I have no wheel hop in my 2003 after changing the motor mounts and transmission mount running my tires at 34 psi, front and 30 psi, rear cold inflation.

Also forgot to add that I changed from run flats to Michelin PS 2 tires. These changes worked for me a minimal expense compared to springs and shocks. the only downfall is more vibration felt at the steering wheel from the harder mounts. The upside is that if you are running RT Cats then this will eliminate the RT Cat mount from being ripped out.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I ask where you purchased your mounts?
Thanks
Sal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi