Which is better for everyday driving? SRT-10 or GTS

cali-car-guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Im still in the market for the Viper. I had to pay for a surgery for my mom so it threw my dream off for a bit. Im back with a snakey vengeance though! So Im wondering if any of my "brothers in viper" can help me make the grand decision of which venomous beast I will attempt to tame. Can you guys help me with the pros and cons of daily driving an SRT-10 vs. a GTS?
My buddy owned a heavily modded GTS a couple years back taht gave him a ton of trouble. He warned me that they can be a handful at times. (I personally would attribute a big chunk of his troubles to the fact that the car was modded so hard) This friend tells me that Daily driving an SRT-10 coupe would be a lot better due to the fact that its a newer more modern interpretation. I of course love the GTS but I dont want something thats gonna be in the shop more than I will be behind the wheel of the dang thing. I wont have two cars so it is important that I make a rational decision.
Secondly...are there any mods that I should avoid having on the car since my intention is to daily drive it?
Thanks a lot guys!!

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I dont think either are bad as daily drivers. I think, as you stated, most of his problems were maybe because his was heavily modded. Just go with which one you like best. The Viper engines are damn near bullet proof. I personally wouldnt daily drive a turbo'd car, so thats the only mod I'd say to stay away from if youre going to daily drive it, but thats just me.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT 10 is clearly better stock to stock. 510 HP vs 450 HP. The seats provide more support. The brakes are far superior. The A/C is more powerful and fully adjustable. Access to the battery is easy. It is a royal pain in the Gen II. There are other favorable differences but these are my top five. If none of the foregoing is important to you, then it is a matter of looks.

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i don't know which is better as a dd, but i drove my '08 from houston to bryan, ohio and i was comfortable the whole time. i would feel totally comfortable with it as a dd if i had good rain tires.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All stock Vipers are relatively trouble free and low cost to operate compared to other exotics.

As in most cars the newer the better as far as reliability.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly would say it's a matter of looks for you. If you consider a Gen II GTS I would say get either an '01 or '02 since they will have ABS.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drive my GTS, it is a great daily driver if you add the cup holder ;)

OP
OP
C

cali-car-guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes actually I do!:) I guess thats a plus. I hear that vipers arent terribly complicated car to work on either. Is that true?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had convertibles as a kid, bad experiences the tops are expensive to replace and a pocket knife will turn the top into garbage. Easily to steal from. Convertibles are not as stiff as a hardtop and therefor don't handle as well. Gen 1, 3 and 4 are side exhaust (you know, right outside the window). Convertibles have 6cubic feet of cargo space. 2 tiny suitcases of 1 small suitcase, 1 or 2 golf bags. Noiseier.

The GTS has rear exit exhaust which not only quiets the noise from the pilot's seat, but mellows out the tone. The newer coupes and GTS are safer in a crash, allowed to go 1.5 seconds faster at the drag strip and don't need a rollbar until a higher class of race car. GTS is 4mph faster and if we were allowed to drive at 170mpg would probably get better mileage because of the aerodynamics. 12 cf of cargo space means that I can fit 2small suitcases on top of the gas tank behind the seats and 2 or 3 more suitcases in the trunk. Wife even bring a case of her shoes along on trips. The Gen 2 cars RT10 and GTS have Lumbar adjustments as there is a squeeze bulb that pumps up the seat. I like the GTS so much that I bought 2. I like superchargers so much that I have 2 Paxton and Roe. I have 50,000miles on my Roe supercharged GTS and although I have modified nearly everything, the only problem I have is the tune and that's because of where I live. I suspect that my problem is actually a loose connector in the 02 system. At 21,000 miles I understand that my 2000 Paxton ACR had an alarm problem before I bought it - that was fixed. AT the moment all I need to fix is the backup switch and the Paxton oil return line on the ACR.

I upgraded (read modified) brakes on both cars. Both cars are supercharged without problems. Both cars have Nitrous Oxide although only the ACR has used it. Both cars have superior exhaust systems (although stock headers on ACR). 01 GTS has a Macedo built engine and I removed the heads and ported them when a head gasket started to seep. Both cars have modified (Unitrax) axles. HID lights in 2001 GTS. Bluetooth stereo head unit in 01 and upgraded speakers (mods) in both. Both have better tires than original (Gen 3 runcraps the worst). Shifters have been changed in both cars (more mods). Lightweight VR1s on 2001 and comaprable stock ACR BBS wheels on 2000 ACR. Although ACR models came with double adjustable ($10,000) racing shocks, extra hp, race 5 pt. harnesses stock, and lightweight wheels they were stock so don't count as modifications? My 2000 has a Venom rear spoiler and one VCA member sent me a message stating that the spoiler would help maintain stability in a thunderstorm that sounded like a good story (which he didn't share). I installed a Roe Racing front fascia scoop for improved aerodynamics and cooling. I purchased a Venom spoiler for that car, however it's not painted yet. I plan to install a Roe Racing spoiler into the ACR to balance the rear Venom spoiler already on the car.

To each his own on good mods. Some people think that cruise control is good. They don't realise that in a powerful car like a Viper without other nannies like TC CC is exstremely dangerous. There are good tuners and bad tuners so it's not just the mods that are done that need to be considered good or bad but the instal must be considered good of bad. Everyone has different ideas.

If you're not used to 11 sec cars then a supercharger and/or Nitrous Oxide might kill you. If you normally drive an 11 sec street car and have experience in 9 sec cars you probably need a supercharger on your Viper.

My wife hates stripes and spoilers. MY cars have stripes and soon both will have spoilers. My wife thinks that a stock Viper is too loud and MY Vipers both have Corsa exhaust with the 01 GTS being very loud. PS1s came on the GTS while SRT10 came with Zero Pressure tires that I found to have no traction and dangerous with even 600rwhp. When JonB convinced me to buy PS2s I am now ready to finish the Nitrous Oxide instal in my 01 GTS because NOW there is traction even in second gear! With the exhaust changes both MY GTSs have cool sills and no Cabin heat problems. Both my modified GTSs get 20mpg with the more stock Paxton car getting a bit less than the Roe supercharged GTS.

I upgrade every car I buy. Government requiring Cats that cost 2mpg increases CO2 and CO emissions and hurts gas mileage. They aslo restrict the sound quality.

To mod or not to mod - it's your choice, but Cats, exhaust, air filters and tires NEED to be modified/upgraded for a Viper to be nice. Bluetooth is also a choice. No phone is best as it interferes with the joy of driving, but if you must ... Premier DEH790BT is an automatic handsfree, voice activated, ipod ready, sat radio ready, etc. modern high quality stereo unit. They also make ear clip-ons for those that like the full size earrings, lol. :)

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In Spring Viper Magazine the Lifestyles section has my story/explanation of the Ultimate Musclecar. Basically, mine is a highly modified, supercharged, loud extreme performance GTS while my wife's idea is a stock tiny braked ford Escape.

You must be registered for see images

Short explanation is Viper GTS = no hit Deer.
Little braked V6 Ford Escape = $7,000 damage hitting Deer at 40mph. Insurance only paid half.

Ted

Last edited:

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive both, buy the one you like best for the most reasons. I was in the exact position your in, and I went with an 01 GTS/ACR. Absolutely no regrets. I just found the SRT-10 "softer" and less viceral. The GTS's are a modern classic! I could daily drive my 01 without any issues if I wanted to, I'd just rather trash my truck or motorcycle on a daily basis and use the Viper for other times.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only compare the GTS with the '09 ACR, and of those two, the ACR is a bit more comfortable to drive around in (which surprised me). I still have a serious love affair with the GTS, though... I think if I were to get the 'ultimate' daily driver, I'd get an '08 or '09 Coupe. They seem to be the performance bargain of the century, and of the ones I've driven (and driven around in) they're really quite comfortable. My only real gripes with the GenIV as a daily driver are the stupid suede-like seats get hopelessly stained really easily (don't let your kids in the car, and don't get into and out of your car when doing oil changes unless you wash your hands really good and change your clothes...), the headroom stinks if you're tall, the side exhaust really doesn't sound all that great when your windows are open and you're driving next to a guardrail, and the gas tank needs to be bigger.

The nice thing about the '09s is you can still get them for 0% financing, get a 3-year warranty, and with 600 HP out of the box and a good suspension, there's no real 'need' to do a bunch of mods unless you have extra time and money on your hands.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drive both, buy the one you like best for the most reasons. I was in the exact position your in, and I went with an 01 GTS/ACR. Absolutely no regrets. I just found the SRT-10 "softer" and less viceral. The GTS's are a modern classic! I could daily drive my 01 without any issues if I wanted to, I'd just rather trash my truck or motorcycle on a daily basis and use the Viper for other times.

I agree with Olddude's wisdom.

Go to a VCA meeting and get a ride in both types. I suggest a modified car so that you don't lose anything if you buy an older Viper.

Ted

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the same spot you were in last Fall... I opted for the GTS since I like the looks better. Figured I could drive a GTS for some time and always move into an SRT down the road.

I personally would not drive a Viper daily because of all the idiots in parking lots and on the road. The car can take it, no problem... but getting in and out of the car would get old quick.

I see what kind of abuse my Acura takes and I just couldn't do that to my Viper. The seats in the GTS fit me better since I'm a bigger guy 260+ lbs and 50" jacket. The SRT seats push my shoulders too far forward, but it has more room in the footwells.

As long as you keep up the maintenance on the GTS or SRT, you will be fine. You asked about gas mileage?

Oh ****, just go buy a C6 Vette... much more comfortable, better gas mileage and easier to get in and out of.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth