Which would you chose, Supercharged GTS or Creampuff?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
new ...I mean 2001 no contest.
take the abs , the warranty and mod it the way you want it
also it is yellow fever!!!
but I am impartial
smile.gif

Reaction score
Consider this:
Take the fair market price of any good condition '96. Calculate the total cost to replicate the same mod's (considering these are the same mods that would be of interest to you), you'll find the cost would surpass the $70K mark.*

Now the 2001:
Sounds like a fair price, nice car, ABS and good color too.

*Take a ride in the blower car, I have a feeling it will help ease your decision ;)

Regards,
Doug

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Justin, You just sold a Viper! The agony of being without was too much eh? I had emailed you about your car a few times and you were kind enough to return very detailed info and pix. Even though I didn't buy it, you did sell it so good for you.
You already know what a viper is like. If comfort . abs, warranty, and you like the color of the 2001. Get it.
But you know how mods are. I planned on buying the car and just leaving it alone. Now it seems like I'm trying to modify a lot and it's costing $$. If you even think you want the awesome power of a sc, you may save a lot of money now.
Anyways welcome back.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough choice here! Warranty is always a concern, but you may never need it!
Have you thought about buying a used, slightly modded GTS, say in the mid $40's? Then doing the rest of the mods that you chose when you feel like it? Just another option!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Justyn,
I think Jamie might owe me one here.....

If you're thinking about a S/C car and buying Jamies, why don't I take you for a spin my S/C Viper.. Like Doug said,I think it will change your mind.... hehheh

Gerald

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would suggest taking a long look at the 96. If (and only if) you trust the car and what the previous owner told you about it then it would be cheaper in mods. Of course you would need to be prepared for a hefty repair cost if something breaks quickly.

If I were in your shoes I'd go with the yellow one, but that's just me.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is quite a simple decision, you can easily have the best of both worlds just...Supercharge the Creampuff.....now wasn't that painless
smile.gif

Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd get the yellow which has a warranty still. Ride the warranty out, then mod it if you feel like it...I stil think odge should put an on/off switch for the ABS like in the Ferrari F355.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple: If you want a stock Viper, get the creampuff. If you want a supercharged Viper get the 96. It would be silly (I think) to buy the creampuff and supercharge it as you will lose the warranty and the 96 will probably still be faster.
The creampuff will be easier to sell in a year but the 96 will probably lose less value in a year.

In other words....flip a coin!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen Jamie's car and you can't go wrong if you buy it - very clean, top notch condition.

However if it were me I'd go for the newer car. I don't know what the cost of mods are (Heffer SC is around $15k, wheels maybe $5k? possibly more)... but depending on the mileage, the car in stock form would probably be worth just around $50k, maybe a tad less... if you bought a clean 96 GTS I'd think you could do the mods yourself for that $70k number. If you could get it for less, I'd go with it... since the 96 already took a depreciation hit. But unless the '96 was cheaper than a brand new one, I'd go with the brand new one.

There is a big difference in feel between a '96 and a '01 - the '01 is much smoother and easier to drive, IMO.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie was thinking about selling his car a few months back and changed his mind and pulled the ad, to my surprise someone emailed me today. Socrates asked was it still for sale and I said I would consider it because the car has been sitting alot the last six months but after seeing this thread on the board I think he might be better off with a new car, although mine does have a full bumper to bumper warranty that I have used since the supercharger with no problem, but its not yellow.Like I said I really wasn't looking to sell it I was approached like I am all the time about selling it, but I am going to keep it, in fact I am thinking about going from 5psi to 10 psi to see what it will run with double the boost. Gerald your alright by me I don't care what Jamie says, but I do think you should take Socrates for a ride in that DLM car and let him feel what we feel everytime we go for a ride, and I guarantee his cost of admission will go up about 25k because theres just something about that boost.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLS:
Buy the 2001 Cream Puff and mod it yourself...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100%. I'd have to get the 2001 w/o a doubt!

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike I appreciate the compliment but your wrong about the numbers, superclean low mileage (4500)mile 96 gts bring in the mid to high 50's but you are right they already have taken the hit on depreciation, unfortunatly the newer cars still have a lot to lose, not to mention supercharge one of those and you really should change the pistons.My car also has a couple other things roll bar , halfshafts , roller rockers , and some little trim things from zero altitude besides the blower and wheels.
But let me give you a break down of numbers for my car these are not speculative they are real world.I paid more when I bought my car but lets say you can buy one like mine stock for 55k my trim and performance options are a little over 20k and my HRE wheels and pirelli tires cost 8500 dollars not 5k.So if you do the math that is about 84k not including any taxs and when you buy a car you have to pay them too.I paid 60k for my car when I bought it used so I have about 5k more around 90k.And check around I don't think you can do it cheaper than I did.Now I am really partial to the 96 gts as a matter of fact I sold my GTSR #43 to buy a 96 because I liked it so much and in my opinion and its only my opinion, but I think alot of people would agree the color combo on the 96 is the best of them all. Its really a moot point with my car because I am not going to sell it, I just wanted to let you know what it really costs and you can add 15 to 20k to that price for a new one.Oh yeah add about 1500 to that for the extended warranty I bought when I bought my car.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie,

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. There may be alot of '96 Vipers listed in the mid-high 50's, but no way do they sell for that IMO. There are 3 clean low-mile 2000 GTS's for sale below $60k, and a bunch of '99's, '98's, '97's for well below that price as well. There are also a "perfect" 14k mile 96 GTS listed in the high 40's. I don't think a clean '96 would sell in the mid-high 50's - more like $50k, MAYBE a little more for a 5 star car. I guess if someone wanted a specific car right now they might pay more for it, but if it were me I'd wait until a deal came along. Believe me, I know all about depreciation - I haggled with the insurance company for 5 months over the value of my '98 GTS.

As for the price of the mods - I was just commenting on the supercharger and wheels... like I said, I thought the wheels were more maybe - thanks for the correction.

I'm just saying that you can get a low-mile clean '96 GTS in perfect condition for $50k, and supercharge it for about $15k more ($65k), leaving $5k for wheels. My point was that for $70k, you could supercharge your own clean '96 GTS and have $5k left over for wheels. I am not saying your car isn't worth $70k or more than $70k, just that for $70k, you can supercharge a '96 and put on some wheels... of course your car has more mods too - and is certainly in pristine condition!

Don't take it the wrong way bud! If I had $70k to spend on another Viper, I'd buy your '96 in a heartbeat and I think anyone buying it would not go wrong with that car.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Mike I wasn't saying you were wrong about 50k 96 gts I am just saying I haven't seen any with only 4500 miles for less than 55k and most people are asking more, but than again I am not looking.I also agree you can buy a viper and supercharge it for 65k. I was just saying I have a little more than an average viper with a blower and that it cost me alot more, I think everything you said was right on the money for the most part.Now take my car out of the equation, I would definately buy a used 96 gts over a new one for 2 reasons. 1. like you stated they are about 15k to 20k cheaper and 2. They look the best and their the fastest and their the first of the legend, ok, ok maybe I am a little biased.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But if you buy a 96 you have to put up with that terrible rough idle and that loud NGR. And how can one live without power mirrors?!
smile.gif

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the S/C car has a warranty that can be serviced in your area,you'll be grining a bit larger.Otherwise a little laughing gas $for$ will do it to it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4