Whine in 3.55 differentail in an 08

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swapped the stock rear for a 3.55, the standard design. I noticed a whine immediately, over the Balanger headers so it must be significant. My wife noticed it immediately. I don't want to mention vendor because everyone tries to do good work so its nobody's fault. The weather has been figid, wet or icy so the new diff was not abused.

The whine is heard when on engine braking or with no torque on the diff. It seems to get louder as the car gets warm, but as I said its been cold and I didn't do any extended driving.

Before I ship it back I wanted to see if anyone else noticed this. Could it be the extra torque on the transmission with engine braking? Any other suggestion? Thanks.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/621426-aero-kit-our-2008-viper.html

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id bet it was the install over the parts. who installed it ? did you break it in correctly ?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gears are not set up properly in the diff as it should be as normal(sounding ) as the stock3.07

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id bet it was the install over the parts. who installed it ? did you break it in correctly ?

It was installed by a very good shop, but not a Viper shop. What could be wrong with the install? I'll ask the shop to check. Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive seen very good shops do it wrong. was it a trans shop ?

doesnt need to be viper specific by any means, just a shop that knows gears

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I swapped the stock rear for a 3.55, the standard design. I noticed a whine immediately, over the Balanger headers so it must be significant. .....The whine is heard when on engine braking or with no torque on the diff. It seems to get louder as the car gets warm, but as I said its been cold and I didn't do any extended driving.......

Before I ship it back I wanted to see if anyone else noticed this. Could it be the extra torque on the transmission with engine braking?

Definitely a SETUP issue .... requires a re-do. NOT the 'extra torque' The 2008-09 is far more difficult to swap/set up than 92-06. WAY-MORE TECHNICAL and CHALLENGING. Many shops who attempt an 08-09 bugger their first one. Even some BIG names.

Cannot ID you...Your profile is blank..... Unitrax does all PartsRack swap-out setups....but even Unitrax, (who has done WAY more Viper diffs than anyone) can make a rare, rare setup mistake. Good news is, they / we will make it right.... if its one of ours. Its WINTER! Park it and git-r-done

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More than likely one of the bearings is shot and the gears need to be set up. When the Dodge dealer swapped my gears in my 06' out for 3.55s, it immediately had that whinning problem. I picked it up, drove around the block and took it right back. They happily replaced the bearing and re-set the gears. 1500 miles since and absolutley no whinning or problems.

Now, I just need to swap the whole thing for a Quafie with 3.55 gears. I should have just done that in the first place. Oh well!

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a SETUP issue .... requires a re-do. NOT the 'extra torque' The 2008-09 is far more difficult to swap/set up than 92-06. WAY-MORE TECHNICAL and CHALLENGING. Many shops who attempt an 08-09 bugger their first one. Even some BIG names.

Cannot ID you...Your profile is blank..... Unitrax does all PartsRack swap-out setups....but even Unitrax, (who has done WAY more Viper diffs than anyone) can make a rare, rare setup mistake. Good news is, they / we will make it right.... if its one of ours. Its WINTER! Park it and git-r-done

X2 you need a re-do on the set up.

Shadowman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There would be no install issues that would cause this

The builder should share these same thoughts; whether under accel or decel matters little at this time because the lash and or the run pattern is off.

Takes care

Shadowman

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear gear sets are a bit of an art to set up. Takes some time, and some experience.

Set the lash a bit too loose, and the gears are weak.

Set the lash a bit too tight, and the gears are noisey.

Tight gears can tend to run a bit hot, so best to get them back into the shop for evaluation.

PS. How do you like the gear ratio?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am the supplier to the one person TexasSnake knows for setup. If you are interested in 07 gears, please send me 899,000,000,000 Shillings and I will get them right out the door.

I do know one person that can set up the '07's but you must first send a MoneyGram or Western Union to a P.O. Box...:lmao:

OP
OP
V

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear gear sets are a bit of an art to set up. Takes some time, and some experience.

Set the lash a bit too loose, and the gears are weak.

Set the lash a bit too tight, and the gears are noisey.

Tight gears can tend to run a bit hot, so best to get them back into the shop for evaluation.

PS. How do you like the gear ratio?

Thanks for the info. It has been cold and wet, so there is no traction to test the ratio. But I can say the car is more drivable, the shifting is more normal and I can use 6th gear.