Who drives there Viper year round? Also mileage?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious about who drives there Viper every day rain or shine or at least 75% of the time. Im in California so we have better weather then some. But last week it rained so my Viper stayed in garage. But I saw Vette's, Porsches, etc all in the pouring rain. I know some just drive them and dont baby them. I wished sometimes I was in my Viper every day. Im anal about keeping it clean so I dont drive in rain, but Im getting close to giving in. Plus it might be fun to drive in the rain once in awhile. I like the loose feeling. :headbang:

But I always see Vipers for sale and they ony have 900 miles,2000 miles etc and they are 2-3 years old. I have 5K miles in about 4-5 months. And now while alot of your Vipers are stored, weather is good again the rest of this week here, so Im driving the Viper again. I didnt buy this car for resale so I guess miles dont matter, but whats the rough mileage on most of you guys SRT's. If I trade up in 3 years or so, Ill be selling a 2005 Viper with probably 30K plus miles. Just curious if that would scare most people away and they would spend a little more to but the 2005 with 10K miles. Thanks for you input.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is a weekend playtoy. I'd drive it to work every now and then at my old job, but now I work at an RV dealership that is not paved so I dont bring it here because it'd get filthy just pulling in and out of the parking lot. I dont drive my Viper in the rain because its hard to control on wet roads. I've been caught in the rain a few times and haven't died yet, but its nowhere as enjoyable when driving on dry roads with the sun out. I've put 16k on mine in 19 months. Its been on several trips to FL and numerous trips to Atlanta

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a black 05 and I drive mine quite a bit. Not everyday, but a lot and the only reason I hate getting cought in the rain is cleaning all the water spots. I have over 18000 miles on mine and it is still running great. No garage queen, DRIVE IT! Vipers are fun to drive period.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
104,000 miles but only when my work has covered parking. I don't like the Florida sun beating down on the Viper all day, every day.

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If youre buying a car for resale, the viper isn't the one to do it with. I bought mine because its relatively cheap for what you get. My 2004 black SRT (bought new) has about 21 000 KM on it, its in the shop alot for aftermarket stuff, and now I'm not even in the same city as it for half of the year. The weather in Vancouver is good only in the summer, otherwise it rains year round. I try not to drive it in the rain sometimes, simply because its a pain in the ass to clean, black gets dirty fast, and then it'll just rain again the next day... but I do it a lot anyways.

With the amount of money I put into it, there is no point on selling it. Whatever I would get out of it wouldn't nearly be worth it. Anything I could buy for that amount wouldn't compare to the viper at all, plus I customized it to my perfect car, and I would just have to do the same to whatever I get next cause I cant stand stock cars.

My point being pretty much what 05Viper said. Theres no point on garaging it and saving it. You bought it to drive it so do just that. Whenever or if I choose to get rid of the car, I can look back and say I used the car like it should have been used.

Nico

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been driving my supercharged 2004 every day for the past 3 months. I do enjoy it, rain or shine. Before that, it was a weekend toy...but sold the daily workhorse. Now I am not sure I would want to change back. As a daily driver, it works just fine. Tend to drive it slower, of course. Noticed that it idles rough after while unless you blow it out at least once a day. That keeps it smooth and happy. Have 13,300 miles...now adding about 750 miles a month.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven my GTS as my daily driver for the last year. It's got almost 29k miles on it at this point.

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive mine every day,I try not to drivr it in the rain,but have been got a few times.Few people ask why I drive it to work,I tell them its NO FUN LEAVING IT AT HOME.Its nice to see people that buys theses cars drives them. :2tu:

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got mine 1 month ago and have put 1709 miles on it. I purchased it to be a daily driver and a track warroir on the weekends.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the replies. Again, Im by no means looking to sell and make money on this car. But after 3-4 years when I decide maybe its time for a new one, I didnt want it to be worthless cause I have a ton of miles. Well I love driving it. It went from a rainy week here to the next 4-5 days of 60 degrees and clear skies. So I'll be in it till it rains and maybe a little rain driving eventually. So far I've driven it to Vegas for VOI9 and once to L.A, the rest around town and to work. So I know it can be driven daily, was just afraid to put too many miles on it. So screw it, I love driving it, Im going to DRIVE it. :)

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine all year around. In the winter I just take it easy due to traction.
As long as the roads are clean, meaning no salt and grit(stone dust) I will drive it. :2tu:

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 2006 coupe Ive put 3800 in 4 months. Do not drive it in bad weather.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not Gen 3, but if a crude Gen 1 can do 11 month/yr daily driver service in upstate NY (rain, a little snow accidentally, puddles, a little road grit from the salt trucks) and reach 85,000 miles without a problem, you can get there, too. :D

Dodge doesn't have a car-that-can't-see-rain division. :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
IF YOU GET CAUGHT with WET FEET..... try to drive 1 or 2 gears ABOVE where you would drive in the dry. You can even launch in 2nd, no problem. But newer Pilot Sports or PS2s are VERY managable wet, if you are careful w/ the gas.

We recieved over 11 FEET of rain last year.....18" so far in November alone.

I have put over 50,000 miles on each of 3 Vipers, and about 50k more on several others in total. If I parked em for rain, I would not get to drive them, but I do TRY to stay dry, and park dry. That said, I TRY NOT to drive em on track when wet. I have a Stealth TT, GTS Blue/white for that ! Great rain-snow-ice car.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've put 15K miles on my GTS this year, it has 35K miles on it now.

When I first got it, I would wash/polish it, sit in the house and go, gee I'd love to be driving it but I don't want to get it dirty and put the miles on it.

So I sat, looked at it.

Said F#@k it, grabbed the keys, been driving it ever since and I don't plan on stopping. I'm not saving the miles for the next guy.

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm retired and 55, I've had my 03 vert for 8 months and put 3K on it [14K total miles now]. It's not our only vehicle but I drive it most days because it's just so darn fun, never in snow or on salty streets and I avoid the rain because I don't want to clean it.
CB

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is really nice to see people drive their cars here. That other brand, the owners are affraid their car will turn into a pumkin or something. :nana: :nana: :nana:

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm retired and 55, I've had my 03 vert for 8 months and put 3K on it [14K total miles now]. It's not our only vehicle but I drive it most days because it's just so darn fun, never in snow or on salty streets and I avoid the rain because I don't want to clean it.
CB

I'm the same way. I drive mine as much as I can every nice day. I only drive 3 miles to my business so I never rack up too many miles on any vehicle. I do plan to hibernate the Viper during the winter. I'm feel very lucky the my 6 year old son has acquired the carnut gene and is obsessed cars- especially with the Viper. He likes to go out to the garage and wax the Viper. Now if I could only get my wife to do that I would have it made. Jim

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Illinois and when the weather is nice, I drive it! It is had many modifications from Prefix and is a 03 vert with 4900 miles.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove mine for almost a year as a daily driver. Racked up 15,000 that year. Had the car for 3.5 years now and have 41,000 on it now. LOVE every mile!!!

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is my daily driver too. Its lowered with 19/20" HRE's and i still use it ever day. Rain or shine. Although its not as fun to use in the rain, i do it anyway, and we have some VERY bad rain storms here in the summer in Florida. I do not think anyone is as anal as me with cars. It still looks brand new. I wash it at least once a week and spend about 3-4 hours doing so. Try to zaino it once every 2 months with about 2 coats of Zaino. Never brought food or drinks in the car and no one smokes. My car still looks better then some brand new ones at the dealer. On top of that i even bring it to car shows and it always looks like a garage queen there. Little do people know it is a daily driver.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daily drove my RT/10 for ~5 years, and put 80k miles on it.

Now daily driving my SRT-10, had it nearly a year, but 5 months overlapped with the RT/10 which I continued to drive, so I've only put ~7k miles on it.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, a higher mileage number then I expected. But I was hoping to hear this. Good to see so many driving there cars. Im slowly moving towards more and more driving, so that like one of the others said, I get to put the miles on it, not the next guy.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Who drives their Viper year round? Also mileage?

I just bought mine in July but I plan to drive it at least a few times every month. No need for any Battery Tender here. I intend to keep the average annual miles at around 2,000 miles per year. I put more miles than that on my bicycle. Both of my toys are fun in their own way. ;)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Who drives their Viper year round? Also mileage?

I drive our test car all year long though I try to avoid rain and never take it out if there is a chance of snow here in New England. I put about 7500 miles on per year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC