Who has a DLM Intercooler with there paxton?

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the DLM with my paxton, but not installed with zip ties, or even installed at all. Both are in boxes in my office awaiting install next week.

:)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gotta love being directed to those sign in pages when you don't have an account.

DrDJ

Ack... yeah, its because I left the session ID in place, I completely forgot it does that. It still only blocks that single link, you can still browse the catalog in any case. I just forgot to strip off the session ID- better to use session ID's than cookies, some people dont want to enable them.

Here is a link that should work;

Viper Specialty Performance

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHats the reason? It looks cheap...

The Viper Specialty one looks to be a way better product than the DLM one.

Joe

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe - mine is zip tied. As plum says there is a reason for it, Doug responded to a post and explained the rational for it when I questioned it. I don't remember the reason, but you can probably search here and find that post.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what Doug said about it

"The reason I utilize the zip ties instead of "fixed brackets" is because the front cooler is VERY fragile, you actually want it to move or break a zip tie, otherwise if we were to fasten it too securely, a good hard bump to the front end will indeed break the cooler. The cooler extends very close to the bottom of the belly pan; more surface area, but easier to bump.

If it would give you some piece of mind, I could attach fixed brackets to your unit (free of charge
smile.gif
) and get it right back to you asap. It would be my pleasure.

Also, make certain to fasten the lower bottom of the cooler to the Power Steering hose."

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss, thanks for the info, I was going to ask why my DLM Intercooler seems so loose and now I realize that I don't have the lower bottom, of the cooler, zip tied to the power steering hose........Thanks Again!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was the same way from Woodhouse install, and I thought it was kinda cheezy looking, however, I knew if Woodhouse did it that way, it was how it was supposed to be done.

Great question, now I know I am not alone :)

Jon

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
WHats the reason? It looks cheap...

The Viper Specialty one looks to be a way better product than the DLM one.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

The difference between the two is the build style. Ours use a full U-Channel upper and lower support plus end tanks, while DLM is a bare core with end tanks. The U-Channel version takes quite a bit longer to make, but at the same time we feel the increased strength and ability to directly mount it more than makes up the difference. It may cost more than DLM's, not sure- but there is no way in hell a hard bump will break our cooler.

We also offer a Billet Aluminum Intercooler Pump to complement the intercooler upgrade.

Last edited:
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hiss,

Your are correct! Our cooler wasn't designed to be a "bumper" or work as an "air-dam" in front of the radiator.

It's design makes it ideally "light weight" and ALLOWS ambient air to pass through to the vehicles radiator.

This is the same unit we use on our 1000hp cars - it's be proven to work and maintain reliability.

Should anyone not be appeased by the current DLM mounting system they have, I will offer to convert it to a "fixed mount unit" at no charge (of course against my better judgment :) )

Thanks for the input!
Doug[/FONT]

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done any actual testing with either of the "upgraded" intercooler/pump setups?

I've heard people say they notice a difference, but what exactly is the difference?

What are the air temps before and after the upgrade?

What are the boost levels before and after?

Was there an HP loss on the dyno between runs before, but not after the upgrade?

Any quantifiable results would be great.

Thanks in advance,
JB

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done any actual testing with either of the "upgraded" intercooler/pump setups?

I've heard people say they notice a difference, but what exactly is the difference?

What are the air temps before and after the upgrade?

What are the boost levels before and after?

Was there an HP loss on the dyno between runs before, but not after the upgrade?

Any quantifiable results would be great.

Thanks in advance,
JB

JB, the Paxton uses an air-to-water intercooler system, not a blow-through like some other forced induction setups. It basically is a coolant heat exchanger. Heated, compressed air is forced through an internal radiator within the intercooler, and the coolant in that radiator is heated and is pumped to the front mounted heat exchanger. If you have a larger surface area heat exchanger, the more efficient the system works. That is what these two options above are, just larger versions of the Paxton setup.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Paxton now offers a larger heat exchanger and water pump set-up for the package directly from them.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JB, the Paxton uses an air-to-water intercooler system, not a blow-through like some other forced induction setups. It basically is a coolant heat exchanger. Heated, compressed air is forced through an internal radiator within the intercooler, and the coolant in that radiator is heated and is pumped to the front mounted heat exchanger. If you have a larger surface area heat exchanger, the more efficient the system works. That is what these two options above are, just larger versions of the Paxton setup.

I completely understand HOW it works. What I'm trying to determine is how WELL it works.

I was hoping maybe somebody had some air inlet temps from before the upgrade and then some air inlet temps after the upgrade.

I want to know what the difference is in charge air temps with the DLM vs the stock setup.

If you use the stock setup (with smaller heat exchanger and smaller pump), is the temp 5 degrees higher? 20 degrees higher? 50 degrees higher?

If you run a stock setup back to back on the dyno, how much RWHP do you lose between pulls? How much RWHP do you lose between pulls with the DLM setup?

That's what I'm really looking for....a way to quantify the benefits of the DLM (or any other aftermarket heat exchanger/pump) upgrade.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i wonder where they got THAT idea from.....

Its not really a new idea by any means... Not any newer than the larger intercooler or simple radiator for that matter in any of the performance car markets. Paxton simply worked with what they had at the time.

While I am not aware of Paxton offering a larger IC/Pump, I havent asked either. Guess I will make a point on that next time I do and find out what the deal is. As it always seems to work though, I highly doubt it holds a candle to the aftermarket offerings...

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnny I would also love to hear those questions on the DLM cooler. I have one on my car and notice less heat soak, but no facts yet. Maybe Doug can tells us some facts?

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a couple of boosted runs with the stock Paxton cooler the car's power just lays down due to heat soak. With the DLM cooler you can get 6 to 8 boosted runs in before that occurs.

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Too-well said.

With DLM's larger cooler installed we decided to try this theory out at the track in Bradenton Dec 06. I made 3 back to back runs. The starting line was left open so I can immediately get in my 3 quick runs. I used 19 Pirellis for the comparison. My times were as follows--- 10.43, 10.40 & 10.45.

Exactly what Doug told me occured. The larger cooler gave me efficiency & consistency I needed for my driving style. Now after 27,000 miles I have not had a single problem with any of the mods Doug has done for me. His knowledge & expertise of Vipers is second to none.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont have any technical data, but as Richie said, I've heard many post that with the DLM cooler they didnt notice a power drop between runs. My buddy ILLSMOQ said he would notice after car got hot or a few spirited runs on freeway that the car felt like it loss 50hp. Now with the DLM cooler he doesnt notice heat soak and doesnt notice a power loss.

So I ordered one to be installed with my Paxton, its not that expensive, its noticeably bigger and actually felt a hair lighter as I held them both in my hands. To me its cheap insurance to have a little more power at my hands on hot days.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
doug is working on a cooler for my GEN2 as we speak, when i get it back, id be glad to take an infrared thermometer and take some readings and post them. i have no before info though.

and damn my cooler better be bolted down !!!...:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang