who's has used "low profile spring caps?"

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: who\'s has used

I have them but have not installed them yet. I have 18 inch wheels and the rear sits lower but with a larger gap. Not sure what to do.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: who\'s has used \"low profile spring caps?\"

Anybody use PartsRack.com “Low Profile Spring Caps”? I think I’d like to lower the SRT/10 about a 1/2 inch without spending a lot of money. Has anybody’s done this?

We have sold 15 sets. No complaints, several "thank yous," and NO photos.

These caps lower each corner by .625"

Cheap and effective.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey John B.
Do you need to realign the car after there put on?
And can wanna-be Viper techs install them themselves?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the answer to alignment is yes. I have them as well, also uninstalled. I have a track day this week after which I will install them. I will install the rear first as the rear wheel gap is larger with 18" tires.

Any problem in dropping only the rear?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We've been through this before. No complaints? Everytime an 'inexpensive' way to lower the SRT-10 thread is posted, eventually someone chimes in to say thier rear shocks blew out due to limited travel. Then some moneybags chime in to say way don't you cheap ******** just buy $5000 worth of Motons?

'Cause I'm cheap!

That said, I just ordered a set.....

Sounds like the 15 sets haven't been installed yet.

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since I just put a set of CCW's on my '04 about a month ago I had the spring caps put in about two weeks ago on the rear coilovers only since it looks like a 4x4 in the back. I was going to install them myself but unlike the instructions tell you I don't see any way you can install them without taking the coilovers off the car. Kudos to South West alignment in Houston - they do excellent work and as I thought they had to take the coilovers off to put the caps in. I did get an alignment as well, which is highly recommended. Unfortunatley, after all that I think it was a waste of time and $$. After they set it back on the ground I could barely tell it had been lowered, maybe, and I mean maybe a 1/4" at best. I couldn't stand it any longer so I ordered a set of KW's, they arrived yesterday and I'm getting them put on tomorrow!

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: who\'s has used \"low profile spring caps?\"

Anybody use PartsRack.com “Low Profile Spring Caps”? I think I’d like to lower the SRT/10 about a 1/2 inch without spending a lot of money. Has anybody’s done this?

I bought these and had them installed by Eddie Martin on my 06. It's a subtle lowering, but you lose some of the extra space in the wheel well - which was my intention. The car simply looks better - although you don't really notice that it's lowered, as it is not slammed. I did have the car realigned.

It's an inexpensive way to make the car look better, IMHO.
I am happy with the purchase.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Jim, I think that's all I'm looking for and I don't want to have to deal with the nose scrapping all the time like on the GTS.

Did you measure before and after and did it lower a 1/2 inch?

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Jim, I think that's all I'm looking for and I don't want to have to deal with the nose scrapping all the time like on the GTS.

Did you measure before and after and did it lower a 1/2 inch?

I did not measure, but I believe the estimate of 5/8 inch lowering is accurate simply from comparing the new caps to the old ones.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After installing these caps does one use the factory alignment specs or does Jon at Parts Rack supply new specs?

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After installing these caps does one use the factory alignment specs or does Jon at Parts Rack supply new specs?

I used factory specs for alignment and have had no problems at all.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My Gen II Northwind lowered coil caps dropped the car height 3/4 or an inch, which was a good compromise between the stock height (huge wheel well gaps) and lowered springs, which leave zero ground clearance for driveways and speed bumps.

I did have the car realigned afterwards, but it only needed minor tweaking.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Guys.
Jon, how about giving us your input on this product, that you sell, as far as the alignment specs are concerned before I buy it.

Robbie

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just had the caps installed on a spare set of coil overs I have and noticed something. The fronts are fine but the rears are contacting the the radius on the spring cap and not the flat. I will take a pic and add it after lunch (yes I just received the order).

I am a little concerned about installing them now given this situation (the last thing I want is to have the cap fracture and leaving my ass end dragging).

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

498100_2191-med.jpg

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure. I may try mounting them later today and see what they look like.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron,
This may be a problem area. Can you post a picture of the spring after you install it along with pictures of the car before and after.
Thanks,
Robbie

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Need some advice for a spring compressor that can compress the springs while installed in vehicle. After reviewing what it takes to remove the rear shocks I gave up and am looking for an easier solution. I was not able to remove the shock (I did take out both mounts). The manual indicates that you need to remove both calipers, the brake rotor and the lower control arm in order to replace the shock. That is more than I wanted to do tonight.

Suggestions?

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same here. I'm going to try and rent a spring compressor, and install them myself. I thought maybe an auto part store would rent them.

2005 Silver SRT/10

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a spring compressor but it is way too big to fit in with the shock installed.

All it needs to do is compress it a half inch or so to slide out one cap and insert the other.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could you put some steel hose clamps around the spring when it's compressed?

If it's that much of a pain, I'll let Dodge do it.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your best bet is to go to a midus shop or tire shop and let them change over the spring/shock assembly that you take out of the car. Then all you need to do is put the new assemblies back in. Believe me, you will thank me for this one. You can really get yourself hurt messing with cheapo spring compressors.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Update:

After getting the wheel off and re-compressing the shock, I new the hose clamp idea was crazy.
So I just bought a spring compressor and that doesn't do it. The spring compressor grabs most of the springs, but the few it can't grab, keeps the cap from being removed. WTH

Has anybody actually done it this way. With a spring compressor.

Frustrating.

2005 Silver SRT/10

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Refusing to be beat. I went at it again, and wrench down on the spring compressors as much as I dare with "made in China" quality spring compressors. Still a no-go. Large rubber gasket also needs to be gotten around.

I don't think it can be done with the shocks on the car. If so, please tell me how. I give up......again.......I think.

2005 Silver SRT/10

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe it's harder with the SRT-10, but when I installed my lowered coil caps I just used two nylon ratchet straps, one on each side of the coil, and then I jacked the car up and took the wheels off one by one.

As the suspension expanded there was enough room to pull out the slotted stock coil caps around the shock struts.

Then the thinner lowered caps easily slipped in.

Then I put the wheel back on, lowered the car and removed the straps.

Seeing that I hadn't done this before, it took about 2 hours to do all 4 coils. It took some wrestling to get the old caps out, but it certainly wasn't impossible.
And I didn't have to use a spring compressor, or pull the shocks or disassemble the brakes at all. :cool:

But again maybe it's different for the SRT-10. :p

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe it's harder with the SRT-10, but when I installed my lowered coil caps I just used two nylon ratchet straps, one on each side of the coil, and then I jacked the car up and took the wheels off one by one.

As the suspension expanded there was enough room to pull out the slotted stock coil caps around the shock struts.

Then the thinner lowered caps easily slipped in.

Then I put the wheel back on, lowered the car and removed the straps.

Seeing that I hadn't done this before, it took about 2 hours to do all 4 coils. It took some wrestling to get the old caps out, but it certainly wasn't impossible.
And I didn't have to use a spring compressor, or pull the shocks or disassemble the brakes at all.

But again maybe it's different for the SRT-10.

I may give it a go. Again.

2005 Silver SRT/10