why 2010

xlr8ion

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When 2011 cars are coming out from other manufactures why not skip 2010 yr???I know its the last yr but who wants a yr old car the day its delivered??

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been like this with Vipers for several years. We all can only hope to see a 2011 .... even if it comes off the line by Christmas (2011).

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When 2011 cars are coming out from other manufactures why not skip 2010 yr???I know its the last yr but who wants a yr old car the day its delivered??

Well, look at it this way. Those other manufacturers are not bringing out 2011 cars. They can't be because it's still 2010. They don't know what year it is.

If I bought a 2010 Viper I would not think it is a year old, with the depreciation that goes with it. It wouldn't even cross my mind.

Bob

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oct was supposed to be the next year car introduction. Selling the car 6 month earlier is just a marketing scam. It has nothing to do with reality. Interesting that you got sucked into it.

It just means that Toyota and GM are calling everyone stupid. Manufacture date on your 2011 GM could be Jan 2010?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many companies will release a model year very early if it is a significant model change, and differentiate it from the previous model.

The 10 Viper is correctly classified as a continuation of the current model, and all production will be completed in the 2010 year. Calling it a 2011 would be misleading.

On the other hand, when the next generation Viper is released, I would expect the model year to be pushed out, to signify the significant changes incorporated in the production.

Viper has skipped model years in the past (07) to signify significant driveline changes.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By Federal Law a vehicle model year can only have "one" January 1 in its model year. In the United States, for regulation purposes, government authorities allow cars of a given model year to be sold starting on January 2 of the previous calendar year. Clear as mud? It means that you can come out with a 2011 model AFTER Jan. 1, 2010 and have a maximum manufacturing period from Jan. 2, 2010 until Dec.31, 2011. This gives the vehicle only "one" Jan 1 date in its manufacture. This is usually done by a manufacturer for a model year where there has been significant change and gives the manufacturer an extended model year to roll it out. Another way to look at it is: If the manufacturer came out with a 2011 ON Jan 1, 2010 the 2011 model would have to end by Dec. 2010 since the vehicle had its Jan 1 date already.