Why did youbuy a Viper ??

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was fresh out of college when the blue/white GTS coupe came out in 96. Its been a personal goal of mine for a long time to get a blue/white coupe. I consider the Viper the best modern American musclecar on the road. The styling of the GTS and SRT-Coupe are timeless to me, both will always look good in my eyes.

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1991, I drove a 1988 Dodge Dakota, 3.9L V-6. My friend's dad hired me to deliver auto parts when I was in high school. Ever since then, I was a Chrysler fan. Then I helped out on a pit crew for a hydroplane (5.0L team). I always remember the Keith Black Hemi in the Grand Prix class that blew everyone away (when the blower belt held). So when Dodge came out with the Viper, I always wanted it. Then when they came out with the best color ever for a car, I had to have it (once I could afford it).

Nowadays, a lot has to do with the fact that everyone has a Vette. And I think it takes a special person to really "ride this horse".

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I's were certainly beyond cool, but when the '96 GTS came out I could'nt believe my eye's. The baddest car on the planet had been delivered by the car company I considered the purveyor of crap. I recall seeing my first B/W GTS across the street from a job I was working on in early '97. It was some execs car at a cosmetics factory. I would go over at lunch time and just stare at that car, I could only dream of owning such an incredible machine. I remember driving my '99 FRC Corvette home. It was a 100 mile ride home and I was so excited, but just before I got home I looked in my rear view mirror and their was an RT/10 closing in. The Viper was so ominous looking as it went by, it was in another league.

Anyway........fast forward to 2004 and the new Z-06 was on the horizon, and I wanted one. I went down to the local dealer to place an early deposit on one of these beasts. I knew Chevrolet was'nt going to get their butts beat again with this new model and I figured I should lock in some early pricing before everybody went crazy. The dealer was giving me their usual BS dialogue, about 30 secs into his story I cut him short and said good bye. It was at that point I knew what would be my next car........an ACR. Almost six years later, I still get a big smile on my face everytime the garage door opens and I see the Viper in its pit.

TNT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wanted one FOREVER Now I want a second one and the wife is claiming the original.....Whats better than a Viper.......Two of them

Wish list: 08/09 Venom Red Coupe

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my divorce freshly paid off I wanted something fun, rare and something that left no doubt that I could go faster than most anything that'd pull up beside me....then I found my ACR.

Regards,
Aaron

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Why did you buy a Viper ??

Let see, my first Viper I got in 99, a 1996 GTS was because my dad always wanted one which made me want one. My second, a 1999 RT10, was because I had sold my 96 a couple years earlier and was wanting the power back. And finally, my new (to me) 2006 SRT10 was because I haven't had a car with that much power again for quite some time and wanted the power back!

I've owned a ton of cars, but never any more then once, except a Viper.

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't pin it down to a specific "reason." The car is just so f'n bad a*** there's almost nothing cooler (at almost any price as well.) When I bought my first Viper I had not even driven it, or any others for that matter. I just KNEW that was what I wanted . . . period. I KNEW that I would not be disappointed. I was not. I could be rich as Bill Gates and have a car collection 10 times the size of Leno's and I would still have Vipers (at least 5-10 different vipers.) VIPERS JUST ROCK & RULE!!!!!!

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the Snake because it's honest - it does not try to appeal to everyone, or be something it's not. It's a relatively bare-bones, barely street-legal racing sports car (one of the few left that isn't a kit car, and the only one made here in the USA). Driven with any skill and common sense, it's actually a very forgiving car for its type, and the handling is predictable, and relatively benign. Steering is precise, braking is excellent, power is more than adequate-it's a driver's car that does not try to be anything more than that. It doesn't try to coddle you, insulate you from the road, or make you look better than you are. It does all that in a package that is still eye-catching, at a price ordinary mortals can hope to afford. It makes tree-hugging hippies angry, rice burners fearful, other sports car drivers envious, awe-struck teenagers quiet, and seems to have an aphrodisiac effect on women. What's not to like?:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The GREAT Gas mileage! 20mpg (us) while cruising at 100mph.

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never got over seeing a NEW 1997 GTS at the local Dodge Dealer.If not the best looking its one of the best looking cars in the world!!! Nothing compares. I was lucky enough to find the same color and year with LOW miles. I have a hard time driving it.Because I cant see it:drive: when Im driving.LOL

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:usa:i bought a viper to smash all the look at me dudes-- and they are soooooooooo differant..and so few-----------

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine, because I already have a 2008 Z06 and wanted an equal in a roadster...how can you even consider anything else with a Z06 next to it?

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1 It's AMERICAN made! :2tu:

#2 There are 800 billion corvettes on the road.

#3 It is F****N fast and exotic.

#4 Mustangs are for boys, Corvettes are for girls, Vipers are for men.

#5 I could afford it.

#6 A buddy has one. Once I rode in it, I knew I had to have one.

#7 You dont mistake it for a corvette.

#8 No ***** package.

#9 Chicks dig it.

#10 I never thought I would own one.

:usa:

Vettes are for girls? You obviously have NO clue - only a narrow minded fanboy would say something as stupid as that...I own an 08 Z06 and an 08 Gen IV roadster (in fact, it's the fastest stock production Vert ever and you can see its slips on this board - broke a world's record). Nice to be able to look at both and have trouble deciding which one I prefer to drive that day.:eater:

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to say anything bad about the Vettes. Enough trims to make most happy and comfy enough to drive daily. Affordable too. But my wife said the vette reminds her of men in members only jackets going through their midlife crisis (she's in her 20s) - that tipped me over to Viper camp. Plus VCA is quite family friendly and has an excellent social calendar.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vette's are a dime a dozen. Go away or become a member and then argue about who's a Fanboy.
I don't need to be a VCA member to know clearly who the fanboys are around here. I'm glad I own both...and it's fanboys like you that just have no clue, as you probably believe the Viper's the only car on the planet. Get a clue. Vipers are hot, but they're NOT the only performance car around. Is that your winter driver too? Were you born with blinders on, or you just happier that way, Sh!tter?:rolleyes:

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOOKS GREAT!

No high HP Corvette convertibles

Minimal electronic systems (no electronic AC controls, traction controls, HUD, etc)

The engine looks great - not hidden under plastic covers

I had always wanted to buy a NEW convertible sports car - this is the first that is a clear step above my '69 Corvette convertible (admittedly modified)

I can still climb into and out of it!

Since I drive my car, the ONLY thing I'd really like to see is factory cruise control to avoid speeding tickets....

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nes Flash; Race City track in calgary. Stock Viper ACR sets new street tire record beating old record held by Hefner 1000hp Lambo Gallardo!!!

THAT's why I bougt a Viper.

What's a corvette?

Ted

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I don't need to be a VCA member to know clearly who the fanboys are around here. I'm glad I own both...and it's fanboys like you that just have no clue, as you probably believe the Viper's the only car on the planet. Get a clue. Vipers are hot, but they're NOT the only performance car around. Is that your winter driver too? Were you born with blinders on, or you just happier that way, Sh!tter?:rolleyes:

Whatever troll,
I actually don't have anything against Vette's. They are great for girls and easy to drive.

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a decision matrix to weigh components that are important to me in a car. These included the following:

Power, curb appeal, rev appeal, interior, seating arrangement, trackability, driving feel, and brakes.

I just looked back at the matrix and the Viper column wasn't even filled in! I think it blew away the competition (C5 Z06, C6 Z51, Lotus Elise and Porsche 996 NA Carrera) by looks and power alone.

Jersey Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why did you buy a Viper ??

I started off wanting the ZR1 Super Charged Vette but the 'Worlds Largets Corvette Dealer" (Kerbeck in Atlantic City) wanted 10K over MSRP. I already have 2 vettes in the garage and always liked Vipers (I have a brother with one) and I actually offered Kerbeck 118K (MSRP) cash for a good looking 09 ZR1. After a few weeks of no acceptance I started looking at Vipers on the internet and came accross my 09 SRT10 Roadster (Venom Red/Silver Stripes) at a dealer in South Dakota. I made a deal and in June had it trucked to NJ. It is my first convertible I have ever owned and I am loving it. I have to tell you I have driven it almost exclusively since delivery, only been out in the Vette's maybe 4 times. I have owned vettes since 1996 and now 13 years later have happily entered the world of Vipers. What a difference, you see vettes daily and Vipers less often than rainbows! People photograph it while your driving, kids cant help but comment. Must say though that there is a brotherhood mentality with vette owners, almost all of them will wave to another vette as we pass by each other. Guess I don't know if Viper guys do that because I have only seen one other one on the road in my 1100 miles this summer. P.S. Kerbeck called about 3 weeks after the Viper was delivered, so I swung by and looked at their ZR1 again and happily informed them I had a new Viper in the stable, and used the 30K I saved towards the detached garage I have now added (with lift). I have 6 vehicles under roof with a slot for a 7th if I get another lift.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave