Why is the dealership giving me warranty issues???

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, let me appoligize for this being a really long post, but I'm very frustrated.

About 100 miles into owning my viper I noticed the paint on the passenger side around the exhaust flaking off. I called the Dealer and they said to bring it in, they would have to take some pictures and would have to send them to dodge for warranty approval.

Problem wasn't really getting worse, so finally got around to taking it in with 800 miles on it or so. They took the Pictures and told me to call back in two weeks, it would take a few weeks for them to hear back from Dodge.

Two weeks pass, I contact the dealership and they state, the picture of the VIN number didn't come out clear and they needed me to come back. Well, I wasn't about to drive 80 miles again, just to have them mess it up, so I call a closer dealership.

The car now has shy of 1500 miles on it and I took it in last Monday. The paint on the exhaust has gotten really bad and now is working it's way up the blue paint, not just the black.

In addition to that, I notice my Drivers Window being off track. After shutting the door, it would roll up over the roof and scratched the paint. In order to get it into the shop, I would hold the window in so it would roll up the track. However, I also noticed when I droped the car off that the window had been off track for some time and was smashing the paint just inside the window.

So I drop the car off at the new dealership and the service guy calls me back and says. "Dodge isn't going to cover the Window under warranty, because the door was open/shut improperly. And the piece that's broken goes all the way into the door and it's going to be very expensive to fix". I respond, how do you open or shut a door improperly. He said that the door was being open/closed by the triangle in front of the door. I proceed to call the guy an idiot, and that nobody in their right mind opens a door there. I threaten to get an attorney involved and hang up. He proceeds to call me back 20 minutes later and states that he agrees and that doesn't make sense, he went and looked at the car with the service manager, he will take some pictures and send it to Dodge. Said he would call me back next Tuesday.

So today, I call him at 4pm because I haven't heard anything. I was really busy, so couldn't probe him too much, but ask him what's going on. He said he hasn't heard anything back yet, but the car is at the body shop getting estimates. Aftere the call, I got to thinking, is he getting an estimate for me to pay or Dodge? The first dealership said dodge would respond with how much they'd pay.... So I call back and of course he's gone for the day.

So they've now had my car for a week and the car is in the same shape today as it was when I droped it off.

What is going on? Why am I getting the run around about fixing my car. Both problems are obviously warranty issues.

Anybody have some insight?

Jason

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off sorry to here about your problems and you being with out your car. Next YES you are are getting the run around!! I have had most all of the problems that can/ have gone wrong with the car and have had no questions asked just treated with great respect from my local dealer (Palmen Motors). Maybe Chuck Tator or Woodhouse can Chime in but there is only one way to open the door?!?!?!?! As for the paint I am assuming stock exhaust? Sounds like its loose or not set right from the factory, moving back when it heats up and cooking the paint which should be a warranty issue. Again sorry to here you troubles but hang in there.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but while Dodge built a heck of a car in the Viper, many of their dealerships are garbage. I had an experience with a Dodge dealer here in VA years ago that made me swear I'd never own another Dodge, ever. If it wasn't for the Viper, I still wouldn't own a Dodge.

I might suggest you read your warranty documentation carefully and look for any loopholes they may try to use to get out of paying for the repairs. Quoting their own documents to them stating that the faulty workmanship *IS* covered is the best way to deflate their case, IMO. And if you're going to threaten the intervention of a lawyer, be prepared to follow through, but you may have a tough time finding a lawyer who wants to fight that battle.

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had warranty issues with local dealership in fresno (Lithia dodge) over a brake booster for my srt-10, WHAT a bunch of moooooorons. dodge customer service or GOODWILL center wasnt any better (no goodwill to be found).

seem like alot of other complaints out there as well, smoooth move dc.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had warranty issues with local dealership in fresno (Lithia dodge) over a brake booster for my srt-10, WHAT a bunch of moooooorons. dodge customer service or GOODWILL center wasnt any better (no goodwill to be found).

seem like alot of other complaints out there as well, smoooth move dc.

A lot of us have had bad experiences with a Dodge dealership over our Vipers at some point, which is a shame. I was out of town one time in Savannah, GA and had a coolant leak issue. I got ripped off by Savannah Dodge and their "Viper tech" so bad, I would pay a $500 wrecker bill to tow the car back home before it EVER went back to those guys again. And yes, Dodge customer service is as helpful as a holey umbrella in a hurricane.

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not stock exhaust, it's the corsa exhaust. The exhaust sits in the same spot on both sides hot and cold. The peeling is coming up from above the exhaust. I wish I would have snaped a picture prior to taking it in. It looks the exact same as someone elses Viper who posted on the boards a few months back, but I can't seem to find that post now :(

It is very frustrating to spend this much money on a car and get the run around about simple issues.

Y2K, I'm at work now, but I will shoot you the VIN and dealer when I get home!

Thanks all!
Jason

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The window issue seems cut and dried in your favor, but the Corsa may be a problem as far as the paint goes. Hope it works out well. Good luck!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know its about 2 1/2 hrs away(worth the trip) but Dick Scott Dodge in Plymouth, Michigan will take great care of you and your car. Rod the service manager is a real stand-up Viper guy. Also I suggest if you plan on keeping the car(more than the 3 yr bumper to bumper) for a long time than you should buy the Dodge extended warranty(do not buy aftermarket ONLY Dodge backed MaxCare). Rod will also get you a great price on one if you choose to buy it. BTW my extended warranty has already damn near paid for itself already!!!

Dick Scott Dodge
Rod 734-451-3535

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MOST dodge dealers are just absolute crap. thank god we have tator dodge here in the NY area.

maybe chuck can give you a little guidance. call him

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not stock exhaust, it's the corsa exhaust. The exhaust sits in the same spot on both sides hot and cold. The peeling is coming up from above the exhaust. I wish I would have snaped a picture prior to taking it in. It looks the exact same as someone elses Viper who posted on the boards a few months back, but I can't seem to find that post now :(

It is very frustrating to spend this much money on a car and get the run around about simple issues.

Y2K, I'm at work now, but I will shoot you the VIN and dealer when I get home!

Thanks all!
Jason

Doubt you'll have any luck getting Dodge to fix the sil paint issue. You'll have to go after the shop that did the Corsa installation. If it isn't secured properly (tack welded), the tips will eventually move.

Dodge shouldn't be able weasel its way out of fixing the window problem.

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dealership actually contacted me today and told me that all the repairs had been approved by Dodge. He said that the Window part is a special order part and would take several days to come in. After it comes in, they'll get the car fixed and sent to the body shop.

So I have my fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly from here.

Exhaust was installed by Woodhouse and looking at the Paxton they installed, I'm sure it was done perfectly. The work Woodhouse did for me was top notch!

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem with my paint around the Corsa exhaust. I have been talking to Mark at Woodhouse about it. We are trying to figure out why it is doing this. I also have Paxton. I'm not going to drive it anymore until I can get it fixed. I'm wonding if I paint it again if the problem will still be there.

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my fingers crossed they are covering the side paint, from talking to the guy everything is going to be ok. But he's never specifically mentioned the side exhaust only the window, so we'll see.

I wouldn't have minded if I had to repaint the black part. However, I do mind now because it took dodge FOREVER to get back to me and the problem got worse and is now into the Blue paint, which is going to cost MUCH more to fix.

Jason

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had problems with the flat paint surrounding the exhaust opening after installing the corsa track. Not sure why it happened. Chuck did mine and adjusted it several times. Sometimes aftermarket parts are not 100% tested or just dont work as well as stock.

Here is a photo and my solution below...
9384DSC04018.JPG

Sidesill21.jpg

DSC06536.JPG

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same window problem with my 2006 coupe. Took it to dealer for some other work and they said they would look into it for me. Went back after the Viper and they said no problem and they had made the necessary adjustments on door and offered to fix the small scratches in body shop. The chips were so small I touched them up myself.

But get this-they had checked the 6 spoke wheels and I got a call from some one in sales saying their was some damage(believe me it was just curb rash) on one wheel and in the future I would have some problems and a hard time getting it balance. He proceeded to tell me the price of a new rim. After I questioned this and told him it was just curb rash I talked to the service manager and the manager said the wheel would balance out ok. He proceeded to tell me the sales person got a % of rim sale.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What dealerships are you using in the "capitol city "??? Columbus has always had some problems in having Viper techs and their training processes....just curious...thanks

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the sidesills are aluminum i simply stripped the paint with a gel paint remover and polished with wet sand paper. I started at 800 and finished at 1500. Nothing else.

I love the look for a black car since I wasnt thrilled about the flat black on the exhaust on a black car. the look is a nice add on to the polished them between the wheels, interior and roll hoops.

If you want further details just let me know.