Will I Notice Difference with T&D 1.7 RR's?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to decide what mods to do and in what order. I read alot about T&D 1.7 roller rockers and many guys/gals switching to them.

Is there any gain to doing the rockers/pushrods alone or do they only have an impact if done with cam change?:dunno:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your looking for power, I gotta ask.
Is there a reason you havnt done headers & a full 3" exhuast yet?

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definetly on the to do list! Yes they make more power 8 - 10 HP and really stabilize your valve train geometry (the V10 will rev nice & tight). The 1.7 ratio will make your camshaft also more aggressive by increasing your valve lift. A must to add to the Viper check off list especially if your going to track. It was good enough for the GTS-R's:usa:

Headers & high flow metal cats, Gear Ratio & Light Weight Flywheel should also be added to the list.

Toddy G.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I would start with headers and exhaust, then do RRs, especially with the 708 cam.

Toddy's recommendation are all good, in that order, with RRs between exhaust and gears.

What are your plans for the car - mods, HP, use, etc?

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Actually, I already have some light mods, S&B hi-flow air filters, Roe smooth tubes, and muffler delete (actually a Fitzgerald Perf with small bullet mufflers at the end of the pipes).

The quandry I have is the next mod I was planning to do was hi-flow cats. If I do them, they would be 2 1/2" and then, at some later date I decide to do headers, they would be 2 1/2" unless I want to discard the other stuff and change everything to 3"... thus wasting money. Don't think 3" is good with basically a stock, non-turbo/sc motor.

At best, I would be only doing light to moderate bolt ons.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rockers in and of themselves on a stock engine are useless IMO. On a 450 HP car you're not going to notice 8hp. You will notice a difference with Headers, Hi-flow cats and exhaust. Then you can decide if you want to add to rockers. If I were to do it over again, I'd spend the money on 3:55 gears first. Instant SOTP gain and fun. In the end, I stopped *****-footing with the filters and rockers and went to Greg Good for the really fun stuff custom cam, heads, etc. And none of my previous mods (headers, cats, exhaust, SCT software) went to waste but complimented each other. Figure out where you ultimately want to be with mods and plan your build incrementally over time so you're not wasting money.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1998? has a decent cam....and PCM.

I think that unless you have other "breathing" mods, the 1.7s are a waste of labor and money. Diminished returns vs value. 8-10 HP?! Big Whoop! FIRST do the things that make the car able to breath better: Cat-back,Cats, headers, ported intake, throttle-bodies. THEN do a 1.7 rr

Do you want to accelerate quicker? Stop faster? Cost-benefit ratio:

1 - Gears
2 - Flywheel
3 - Inatke-Exhaust
4 - Headers

ps.....all this talk about 'pushrods' is a double-edged sword. If you miss a shift and overrev the motor, the stock pushrods will simply bend, and sustain slight or maybe moderate damage. If you have herdened chromoly steel pushrods, and then have an overrev, you start poking big holes in expensive aluminum parts. But your pushrods survive!

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony/Jon!

Clearly I should stay on the track I've been following, which is to add slowly the things that I know will improve performance. I've done the basics, and will next do the hi-flow cats. Headers...maybe, but some of the other things listed may end up happening first...or depending on the family needs, maybe not at all.

For me, baby steps is the right way to go...never intending to do heavy mods to the car anyway.

Appreciate it!:2tu:

Peter

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do it all at once, headers, exhaust, roller rockers, SCT. you will really notice it if you do it all together. i did it piece by piece and the mods are hard to notice bit by bit.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do it all at once, headers, exhaust, roller rockers, SCT. you will really notice it if you do it all together. i did it piece by piece and the mods are hard to notice bit by bit.

I'm guessing there are many who don't have a pocketful of cash to do it all at once

I did Belanger headers and Belanger 3" exhaust 90K miles ago. Picked up about 30-35HP. I did it as much for the sound as the power pick up.

Next came the Fidanza flywheel 65K miles ago
Then I put a Unitrax 3.45 assembly in 63K miles ago.

IMO, these 3 above bolt on things increased the fun factor A LOT. Gears and flywheel contributing the most to the SOTP feel. As for the headers?...well that's what a Viper is supposed to sound like!!

Next came the Roe blower 41K miles ago
....and then the HR 1.7 RRs 32K miles ago. I can't say I noticed any difference with the RRs, but more air in and out across the entire RPM range has to make a little more power.

I figure the blower sealed the deal for adding a little more air in and out. Theorectically, I'm guessing the engine should run a tad cooler inside because of the slightly reduced pressure on the charged air.

Steve

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing there are many who don't have a pocketful of cash to do it all at once

I did Belanger headers and Belanger 3" exhaust 90K miles ago. Picked up about 30-35HP. I did it as much for the sound as the power pick up.

Next came the Fidanza flywheel 65K miles ago
Then I put a Unitrax 3.45 assembly in 63K miles ago.

IMO, these 3 above bolt on things increased the fun factor A LOT. Gears and flywheel contributing the most to the SOTP feel. As for the headers?...well that's what a Viper is supposed to sound like!!

Next came the Roe blower 41K miles ago
....and then the HR 1.7 RRs 32K miles ago. I can't say I noticed any difference with the RRs, but more air in and out across the entire RPM range has to make a little more power.

I figure the blower sealed the deal for adding a little more air in and out. Theorectically, I'm guessing the engine should run a tad cooler inside because of the slightly reduced pressure on the charged air.

Steve

that's why i did mine piece by piece was money. if i had to do it all over again i would have saved, and saved, and saved some more to do it all at once. i was a bit dissapointed when i did the mods little by little. it was noticeable but not the boost i really wanted. i think if it was done all at once and gain 50-60 hp at once instead of 10 or 15 hp at a time i would have liked it a lot more. just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well yes, it is a matter of priorites. The Viper, as much as I love having it, takes a "back seat" to my family. The difference is, the mods are something I want, not need. If there is maintenance needed, that always gets done.

I will keep in mind the type of mods mentioned above as I move slowly down this road.

Thanks again, all.:2tu:

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't notice the T&Ds with your mods. If you drag race a lot, you would see .1 sec difference in the 1/4. Which is not much for the price. A good complete exhaust system is your best bet. Muscle car sound & performance.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best bang for buck on vipers is a tune no single mod will get you the results a good tune will.

Also don't forget to tune after every major mod done, this includes rockers, headers, exhaust. If not you will never see the full potential of the mod being installed, and you are taking a risk with a computer that does not know how to adjust for your mods.