Winching a GTS on a trailer

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the garage I had my viper stored in for the winter just got broken into.:( Now I need to get my car out of there. I have found an enclosed lowered trailer with a winch.

My question is, where do I attach the winch to in order to winch it into the trailer?
Any pics would be greatly appreciated.
Again, I have a GTS if that helps.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its easist just to drive the car onto the trailer unless of course your trailer has no side door to get out. A couple of the Viper vendors sell a really useful tow hook that uses the factory bolts in the center of the frame inside the front facia. It takes only minutes to secure. Try Archer Racing, Snake Oyl or PartsRack. Its less than 50 bucks and can be painted to match your car. Mine came in yellow.

OP
OP
B

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The problem is I'm up in Calgary, Alberta and I am moving the car this Saturday so I just won't have the time to order the hooks. It's also just really a one time thing because of having to move the car to a new storage unit. I'm just wondering if there is a place on the front end to wrap the tie around and winch it in without bending anything?
Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot, the trailer doesn't have a side door so I don't want to drive it in and have to climb out a window.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We could ship you tow-rings in 1-2 days. That said. S/H will be more than the rings.

Answer: URGENT: There is one RIGHT way to do this, 1-2 decent ways, and several VERY WRONG ways.

Whatever you do, DON'T PULL, HOOK TO, OR YANK THE SUSPENSION ARMS !!!!

Look at the left and right front frame rails. The front-to-back main sections that the suspension mounts to. These rails each have a slanted, small oval hole, about 2.5" x 1.5". It is about 18" or from the front of the main frame. (Much easier to see /inspect the same holes in the rear, so you know what you are looking for.)

Any tow company or local wrecker will have D-hooks, J-hooks, T-hooks etc. hopefully with a strap (preferred) and maybe a chain (ok but care underneath painted fascia)

Put a hook in each oval hole, and bring the strap (chain? - protect the fascia underneath) forward, and connect the winch cable to the strap's center. Hopefully it will have a floating or fixed ring. Tighten cable til taut. Then be sure the gear is N and the E-brake off or dragging lightly if no driver. Some 'driving' will likley be needed, and be SURE the car has chocks handy as it is 'coasting" in. It can take off rolling forward as the load shifts if no driver aboard. No driver aboard, be sure E-brake is dragging lightly.

Good Luck. report back.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was gonna say exactly what JonB said. those hooks are cheap and easy. dont do it any other way

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Jon. That makes me feel much more comfortable knowing what to do now!

You are welcome. GTS control arms are aluminum, so DONT use anything to pull em up an incline....if steeper angle or any abrupt stop-start could bend the arms.

GEN 1 A-arms can be pulled with less risk, but just "DONT pull your A-arms" to be safe

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about some wheel chalks,4 pairs of soft new clean gloves and 4 guys willing to help.:D
Measure how where we want the wheels at and put front chalks down. have a chalk for the rear if you get tired to stop and any point of rolling back. get some 2x6 peices to ease the angle of approach.
Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32