Witech Scan Tool

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a previous thread I explained that I had removed the air cleaner filter and the car set a CEL. It also seemed as though the pcm was limiting the power. I attached my scan tool and it showed the code set by the air filter removable. In addition, there was a second code that indicated the throttle control was limiting the power..

I removed both codes and the car seemed to run fine. As a check I had a local SRT dealer put his Witech scan tool on the car. Here is the strange part, he could not see the PCM history and therefore the two codes I had removed. The second interesting item was that he saw several chasis codes that I could not see with my scan tool.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im shocked you threw a code replacing the air filter.. I have never heard of that before. I replaced mine with a K&N and no code.Ive done it on all my cars since 1995 and never a code..
Only code Ive thrown was when I replaced my battery with a Braille lightweight racing battery..But that's just because for some reason when you disconnect the battery from a viper it throws a code... Just plugged in my handy scan tool and 3 seconds later code was deleted.. Gotta have a scan tool if you own a viper..saves allot of worry

Reaction score
He removed the filter entirely for the strip, that's why the condition arose.

Im shocked you threw a code replacing the air filter.. I have never heard of that before. I replaced mine with a K&N and no code.Ive done it on all my cars since 1995 and never a code..
Only code Ive thrown was when I replaced my battery with a Braille lightweight racing battery..But that's just because for some reason when you disconnect the battery from a viper it throws a code... Just plugged in my handy scan tool and 3 seconds later code was deleted.. Gotta have a scan tool if you own a viper..saves allot of worry

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Jack B....Congrats on your new ride!!

While I do not know just what scan tool you are using, I will say that some of mine have canceled codes/stored data just by reading the codes without selecting for the codes to be erased...especially so if looking at freeze frame data.

Given your level of knowledge about and experience with cars, racing, VIPERS, and your 2013 Viper...I would highly recommend that you consider getting a new wiTECH system...MUCH less expensive that a DRB III...and does a ton more in most cases. If you do...plan to use an inexpensive computer...64 bit, Windows7 (or above)...you will be amazed, and will love it !!!

They have FANTASTIC tech support !!!!

http://dcctools.com/en/witech/index.html

Best of luck !!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve is this system applicable to DRB III applications like the Gen II Viper. I watched the video, but it seemed to relate to Star systems and above.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Best answer...I don't know about most recent editions.

It did NOT cover our older cars in 2009 or 2010...BUT, with the 2012 and 2013 versions there is an on screen buttonj called "DRB III Emulator" which has some overlap...though I personally do not use it on our 96 through 03 Vipers because DRB III works well. I don't know if it does anything on older cars now...but it may do some left over DRB III functions on 2018-10 cars such as the TPMS.

I would take an OBD II (non CAN bus Viper...1996-2006) to a dealer and try the hookup using the 2013 wiTECH software version BEFORE ordering.

My 2012 version reads all I need on a 2006 Commander, 08 & 10 Vipers, and 2013 300C.

Sorry that I habve not experimented more.

UPDATE: It started to rain here...so I can't get any Gen II's out to really try this again. Tom Sessions has a recently updated wiTECH version, so he may try it later and report.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Window and door codes. I created those searching the pdc for switched power.

[NQwUOTE=ViperSmith;3202794]Out of curiosity, what were the chassis codes?[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will investigate

Hi, Jack B....Congrats on your new ride!!

While I do not know just what scan tool you are using, I will say that some of mine have canceled codes/stored data just by reading the codes without selecting for the codes to be erased...especially so if looking at freeze frame data.

Given your level of knowledge about and experience with cars, racing, VIPERS, and your 2013 Viper...I would highly recommend that you consider getting a new wiTECH system...MUCH less expensive that a DRB III...and does a ton more in most cases. If you do...plan to use an inexpensive computer...64 bit, Windows7 (or above)...you will be amazed, and will love it !!!

They have FANTASTIC tech support !!!!

http://dcctools.com/en/witech/index.html

Best of luck !!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Canfab, just tried my wiTECH (version 12.01.109 ) on our 99ACR...total loss, no connection. NOTE: my "DRB III Emulator"button is not activated...so, we will need more data from Mr. Sessions to answer your question with authority.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R