Worth it to keep original tires in storage?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to original car parts. I've still got my original tires for my GTS in the garage in storage, and I'm trying to decide whether it would make sense to just recycle them or keep them. Believe it or not, I swapped them off the car when they still had about 90% of their tread left - and when I stuck them in the garage I thought "maybe someday it would be cool to return the car to 100% original condition." As an example of my hoarderism, I even pulled the original oil filter off the car right after I took delivery of the car and put it in a plastic bag for storage (it had factory writing on it, so I figured may as well preserve it).

What would you do? :) I don't think I'd ever sell my GTS, but there have been a few auctions I've gone to where I've looked at some cars that had some "really rare and impossible to find" original equipment item on it. I can't remember which car this was, but it was a muscle car that still had the original tires on it - and the way you could tell was the original tires had a special factory code stamped on them as opposed to the retail code. I remember people flipping out that the car still had the original tires and they were in perfect shape (at least appeared that way - wouldn't want to drive on them...). Maybe someday it would be cool to have one of those "holy crap, look at that" original parts available for the car...

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they aren't taking up space then keep them. If you do decide to ever take the car to Barrett-Jackson then they might be worth something to a bidder. I still have the OEM tires on my '01 RT/10 but can't wait to get them off the car so I can drive the thing this summer. PS2's are waiting to go on. I may keep the OEMS or sell them to someone.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the room...and it's all properly labled, why not? I guess you'd save 'em even if everyone told you not to bother!?!

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will keep mine. I actually kept the gas struts off the hatch of my GTS when I replaced those. Of course I still have the paper tag that came on the keys from the dealer.

Crazy? Yep. But I have room and have you seen what some original parts for midyear 'Vettes go for? I can always dream, right??

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a good idea to keep the take-offs, until you put over a hundred miles on the car.then they are as worthless as the car. LOL jk (I have a GTS and a set of orig wheels too...so I know your dilemna).

That being said, I recently took the HRE's off my TR for its 20th anniversary, and put the OEM wheels on for a change. I like the change, but not sure its worth holding on to them in the garage for 20 years! I guess if they are in storage, what's the big deal?

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're all of the same mindset as me, I suppose. Part of what goes through my mind is the absolute nightmare it was to try to find some 'truly original' parts for cars that I've restored. There are some things that are just plain impossible to find, and I know some people that will go to any length to find that original part that they've just gotta get to make the car perfect...

I remember thinking many times about how stupid someone was to throw out that original POC AM radio that some crazed restorer is now willing to pay $5000 for because it was some obscure option that nobody wanted...

2000 GTS Owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep them for sure! I still have my original battery even though it does not work i kept it,nothing is in the way! These are the muscle car's of the 60's and their only original once!!

SandViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agree, If you have the room keep them... If you don't want them sell them to me!

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was wondering the same. I got a garage full of parts from hood to exhaust to tires to shifters.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my OEMs off and went to 18s. They are stored in my "tire garage"......we have summer tires and winter studded tires here and I have 6 cars that I have at least 2 sets of tires for.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep em! I am the same mindset as you!

I also have my factory oil filter and every other part of the car. I even have a bag of factory seat lint! :lmao: (OK, that was a lie!LOL)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that's the degree that you go to, I wonder how many miles do you have on your car? If the car is high mileage and you put back OE parts I can't believe it would make much difference.

I don't plan on selling my car so I just drive it and replace whatever consumable parts it needs and go about my happy way.

Hey, do you still have the original oil that came in the engine???

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id say keep them but since everyone else is too. burn um up and dont worry about. they will say" most vipers come with original tires" ;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you decide to keep them it is important to keep oxygen and ozone from deteriorating the tire. It enters primarily through the scuffed area of the driven tire surface / contact patch.
Fanatics would silicone seal or armorall the tire completely.
They would put it in a black plastic garbage can drum liner.
They would use a shop-vac and **** all the air out of the liner, and seal tightly / zip tie etc.
They would store the tires in a cool dry area. Not a hot attic.

Tires stored in this fanatical way can emerge from hibernation after 10 years or so, and still be good to go for show-street. Maybe even longer.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you decide to keep them it is important to keep oxygen and ozone from deteriorating the tire. It enters primarily through the scuffed area of the driven tire surface / contact patch.
Fanatics would silicone seal or armorall the tire completely.
They would put it in a black plastic garbage can drum liner.
They would use a shop-vac and **** all the air out of the liner, and seal tightly / zip tie etc.
They would store the tires in a cool dry area. Not a hot attic.

Tires stored in this fanatical way can emerge from hibernation after 10 years or so, and still be good to go for show-street. Maybe even longer.

All great ideas, but one...

Armorall might have alcohol in it. Some years ago it did, but I have not checked lately. You'd be better off using Meguiars.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala