Would you support a V8 Viper?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if a V-8 Viper is needed right now or even another Dodge sports car with a V-8 in these economic times and Chrysler still recovering from bankrupcy. I think the iconic V-10 is secure for now and should remain the Halo car with no internal competition from other cars that would be considered similar. Dodge has hit the nail on the head with the Challenger and the new Charger promises to deliver on it's heritage. Let the current lineup play out for now till everyone can get back on track.

Bruce

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with this statement.

Anything 03 and up is a SRT## not a Viper. If I am not mistaken they lost the Viper name in 03 anyway, didn't they?

what are you talking about????

Viper RT10
Viper GTS
Viper SRT10
Viper SRT10 coupe

so a GTS isnt a viper either it's a GTS by this logic:rolleyes:

They are all Vipers ...Wich you prfer depends on your idea of styling and often times your wallet. But make no mistake..When I pull up in my 2003 no one yells..wow a srt10...LOL they say viper..

Just like the big letters that say Viper on each side

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say NO... I like being able to say that every Viper ever built is a Top Gun car... Let them build the Firepower if they want a V8 powered higher volume mass produced sports car...

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can make 600+ Hp with a V8 NA I see them every day. So Although V10's are Viper special. I could live with it. 700 hp 8000rpm would be even better.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id be all over a light weight 600 hp V8. I love the sound of a V8. The V10 still sounds like crap to me but thats just personal preference. I love my V10 but wouldnt complain at all if they had a big torque V8 in there.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V10 at 650 HP would be sweet...V8...If I wanted that I would be driveing a vette....

I guess it all just depends...I dont want to see a v8 viper but what if...
The V8 version was 550 HP and 75K while the V10 version was 650 HP and 100K...

The 550 HP V8 would compete with the Z06's and other bad a$$ rides while the 650 HP version would Dominate ZR1's and other supercars...

As long as you were still paying atleaste 75K for the V8 version then the car would still remain very rare....

They have made it nio secret that the car is gonna be more expensive..75K for the V8 and 100K for the v10 and i wouldnt have a problem with it..

say 4 K units a year for the V8 and 1500 units a year for the v10 and you still are looking at less than 6K per year..Still a very rare car...

If they went the 30K a year V8 route at only 55K with 500 HP I would have to disown the brand

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is total dreaming, but if they must do a V8, then differentiate the V8 car from the V10 similar to what Porsche does (in a sense).

Design a separate Viper model, which could be a twin-turbo (or single) MID-ENGINE V8, still hand-built, still limited production, but maybe can use many of the same parts to offset cost/save money.

This would continue the mystique of Viper being a unique performance machine, without compromising the original V10 Viper and at the same time could maybe expand the market.

Just a thought!:headbang:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really can't see how a V8 would make sense from a cost perspective for the same reason that you don't see cars with roll up windows. It's just cheaper to give everyone powere windows or maunual in the cheapest cars but not both in the same model. Also... isn't it true that while the V10 is larger it's actually less complex... If anything they should put some R&D into the heads and cam(s) and offer a more upscale 700hp NA car...

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck and Plum said they would support a V-8 as long as it had an automatic transmission for smooth shifts an ease of use. In addition, traction control, stability control, launch control, and other controls would be absolutely necessary. They both explained that the 2012 should be made for family outings and general use.

Rev

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say make them all 4 cylinders with hybrid electric motors. I know the environmental impact is twice that of an International CTX, but we want to stop Global Warming......

A V8 Viper will just make it another Vette or Mustang. Keep it exclusive or forget it.

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with this statement.

Anything 03 and up is a SRT## not a Viper. If I am not mistaken they lost the Viper name in 03 anyway, didn't they?

Twister this a 100% accurate statement. The name was changed to SRT in '03. However, the public continued to call it a Viper and they reverted to placing the Viper label on it. The intention was to abandon the "Viper" moniker, but it didn't take. Look at the side sill of your '03, and you see "SRT-10", not "Viper", on it.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got two V-8's in my boat ,because one wouldn't cut it :rolaugh:
Now , a 16 cyl Viper would be cool :lmao:
A V-8 is nice ,especially in the new Porsche 918 !

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe certain crowds gravitate towards a Viper, just as those for a luxury sports car. The reason for the Viper's exclusivity is not because of its price but of its appeal to drivers who emphasize performance over creature comforts. The luxury sports car crowd does not gather and talk about cars and aftermarket modifications, just as the Viper crowd will find the luxury-driven attitude of the luxury sports car owners a purely consumer one.

I've always considered the stick-shift mandate of the Viper part of its exclusivity, hence my commitment to learn it dead or alive. If Chrysler/Fiat's goal is to broaden the Viper's appeal and increase sales, they will incorporate a Tiptronic-type paddle shift transmission, and that will draw in the luxury sports car drivers inadvertently, which will in turn drive away the ******** Viper enthusiasts and turn the Viper into something else.

Just my 2-cents.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The next Gen Viper MUST do 200 mph (MY definition of a Supercar) and 3 sec 0-60, 10 sec 1/4 mile. If necessary, make it a twin turbocharged V8 with 850 HP (those who think that is for lux drivers, think of the last time you saw an F40 roll into a car show and the crowd that gathered...if you've ever been lucky enough to experience that). Go with ground effects not big wings (we can do this without it looking like a Ferrari or Vette). And while you are at it, get rid of the posh padded seats, stereo (if the motor ain't worth listening to, then get a new motor), A/C, cruise, nav, (these last two are way more 'posh' than a V8 or DCT) in other words...all the BS that the '******* cruisers' love so much. Haha...just my 2c. ;)

Last edited:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The next Gen Viper MUST do 200 mph (MY definition of a Supercar) and 3 sec 0-60, 10 sec 1/4 mile. If necessary, make it a twin turbocharged V8 with 750 HP like the F40, get rid of the padded seats, steel frame, stereo, A/C, cruise, nav, all the BS that the ******* cruisers love so much. Haha...

They could do it easily if shedding a lot of weight. Example ;
my friend's Noble M400 tops out at 187mph with only a puny 3.0L
425HP V-6 & twin Garrett turbos.Car weighs 2350 lbs !The Rossion [ Noble's replacement ] could be had with 600HP ,do the math.:2tu:

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The next Gen Viper MUST do 200 mph (MY definition of a Supercar) and 3 sec 0-60, 10 sec 1/4 mile. If necessary, make it a twin turbocharged V8 with 850 HP (those who think that is for lux drivers, think of the last time you saw an F40 roll into a car show and the crowd that gathered...if you've ever been lucky enough to experience that). Go with ground effects not big wings (we can do this without it looking like a Ferrari or Vette). And while you are at it, get rid of the posh padded seats, stereo, A/C, cruise, nav, all the BS that the '******* cruisers' love so much. Haha...just my 2c. ;)
Bah... you had to go buy that POS ACR to barely get around VIR ;) Sure the Viper could do more with differeng powertrain configurations, but IMO the V10 makes the car... kind of like the V8 makes the Vette and a flat-6 makes a 911.

You probably don't recognize this screename, but you may recognize the cars :) See ya at the track :drive:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Wezbad1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would support a V8 version of the Viper as long as they keep it at a low production, High HP somewhat affordable supercar. I will not support a Highend version that also offers a lowend version of the car.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No! No V8 Viper!:mad:

but this one is okay.:D I've always liked this one!

You must be registered for see images attach

--RS

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, the Viper isn't and never should be about luxury or family outings...leave that for the Vette crowd. If you want to take your whole family in something fast and sporty, then get a top of the line Mustang.

The family Viper, 4-seater, automatic, power seats, GPS and full-feature surround sound...hey why not a sunroof and 10 cupholders while we're at it!

Can you say CORVETTE?????

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would I support a V-8 option for a Viper?

I would support it, I just would'nt buy it. ;)

I would buy the V-10 model and let someone else buy the junior varsity V-8 version, to keep production volume up and assure a future for the car.

That said, the V-8 might actually outhandle the V-10 because of the weight savings up front. And also be eligible for ALMS GT-2 category of racing.:D

If I did buy the V-8 version I would have to give it to my teenage daughter.:lmao:

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEVER!!!!!!

A lower model viper would turn the viper into a corvette. Can't let that happen, If you want a V8 get the chalenger or charger.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only see you in the paddock...my rear view mirror isn't clear enough to see that far back! LOL. Why aren't you at Nat's?
Panoz has a broken crank... snapped it at the UTCC so it's waiting for a new motor, and I just finished the TTA Z06 so no trips out west for me this year.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they only offered a V8 it would make the value of existing Vipers jump up more so than if they discontinued the car alltogether...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's no different than Ferrari putting a V8 in one of their cars as opposed to the legendary V12. How are those V8's doing in the Ferraris by the way? I love my V10, but I wouldn't freak out if they put in an 8.

I have to disagree, it is VERY different. Ferrari is a brand, and they offer different MODELS, with a different purpose. The Viper is a MODEL, any sub-models added will result in dilution of the model.

IMHO, if they bring out a V8 car, it CANNOT be called the VIPER. If they need to do something like the "Firepower" again, that makes sense...

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree V10 is what separated Viper from the pact. Shelby was against it from the beginning, but the public demanded it once they read about and saw it at the shows, and Lutz, Gale et al gave the gearheads what they wanted. I have had 7 Vipers and when you pop the hood it "grabs " folks.

Having said that--here comes some heresy--the V10 in my Vipers and the V10 in my M5 sound lack crap out of the factory. Gen 4 is the best of the lot as far as sound without having to go to Corsa or somewhere, and it is still marginal at best .

The V8s in my Ford GT and CTS-V (ZR1 motor) sound and perform wonderfully, and if you go aftermarket exhaust on those there is a sound unlike anything I have ever heard in the V10 (firing order issue ) .

Don't get me wrong, the V10s have been workhorses--bulletproof raw power motors, but if Fiat wants to drop a more sophisticated V8 in a car they call Viper, as long as the numbers make sense , I am fine with it. Time moves on.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After all the comments,i have changed my mind. Keep the Viper and it's trademark V-10 beast image. It is what it is. Don't see why Chrysler couldn't build a smaller ,cheaper but powerful new sports car though. Hell,they used to make a bunch of fast muscle cars and it worked for them then. With technology,a new kind of musclecar could be built that would even satisfy the go greener's ,but please don't screw around with the Viper's engine . I say we need more muscle and different designs that would bring back the thrill to America's muscle freaks. Their are a lot of us out there who are becoming disenchanted with what is available now. Nothing will ever replace the Viper.Either build a real Viper or something else cool and call it something else.