WTB Smog legal Edelbrock Headers

Victor96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in California and looking for some old Smog legal Edelbrock Headers for 1996 GTS. I believe ****** and Borla also made them. I know there are better headers out there that are not smog legal,but I don't want to spend a lot of money
just to have them removed.

ViperDEN_Nick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as you keep the cats on headers shouldn't matter as far as emissions go...no?

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as you keep the cats on headers shouldn't matter as far as emissions go...no?

Nazifornia has a special set of "no gos" on a LOT of things and if it doesnt have that CARB (California Air Resources Board) sticker on it, its auto disqualified.

ViperDEN_Nick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh yes, forgot about that...moved out of CA almost 2 years ago and brain dumped most of their BS.

Best decision I've ever made

OP
OP
V

Victor96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's exactly why I'm looking for the old headers? They have a CARB number on them. When I got the car smogged las week the guy didn't even look at the headers. Makes me think that I can put a non CARB header and pass visual. Is there anyone who has put a non CARB header and still pass the emissions test in CA?

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you put the heat shields on over the manifolds they can not see the headers the smog techs are not allowed to remove any parts for inspection so go for the good stuff. signed a fellow Commiefornia

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's exactly why I'm looking for the old headers? They have a CARB number on them. When I got the car smogged las week the guy didn't even look at the headers. Makes me think that I can put a non CARB header and pass visual. Is there anyone who has put a non CARB header and still pass the emissions test in CA?
I have a set of Gibson headers on my Quad Cab and it came with a fancy CARB sticker with the EO number embossed on it. I put it on the radiator support. I bet the embossed sticker is a generic headers emissions exemption number that could be used 'generically' for your purposes..aka (not specifically associated with Gibson headers on a Dodge truck). Just need to get one of those fancy embossed stickers....

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WRONG...I checked the EO number (EO 411-5) for the truck and it is listed for Dodge truck headers and not a generic EO number...but Gibson does use that same EO number for their V-10 (non-SRT) truck headers...

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, what I currently have is stock.

You missed my point, but also answered a sub question that you dont have headers on there currently. I always play the "this person doesnt know what is stock on every vehicle unless they have a very comprehensive database" card for stuff like this. Hell, i put a custom 2.5" dual outlet exhaust on my 05 Neon and there were lines in the bumper cover that i cut out and placed the tips in the cutouts. The head of the dealership didnt know it wasnt stock looking at it. He thought it was an R/T exhaust lol.

Intrazel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Cali and have a good friend who owns a Smog Test Shop, you really don't need to worry about headers on your Viper GTS, they don't know how the stock ones look, they don't know jack**** about the car because they never see them, I have inside info, also I run Belanger headers and with the heat shields you can't even see them ! Don't worry your good, I can send you to my shop if your worried, PM me.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Victor, definitely shop dependent. Two years ago I had 2 shops say, "you have headers, where's the carb sticker?" Went to my local guy and no issue. This year went to another local shop, had no issues and he certainly saw those shinny belangers

if you put the heat shields on over the manifolds they can not see the headers the smog techs are not allowed to remove any parts for inspection so go for the good stuff. signed a fellow Commiefornia

Agreed! My problem was with a G4 is that the shield is part of the manifold, not like the G 1-3's.

If you can put the shields back on, you'll never have an issue with the visual.

OP
OP
V

Victor96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Victor, definitely shop dependent. Two years ago I had 2 shops say, "you have headers, where's the carb sticker?" Went to my local guy and no issue. This year went to another local shop, had no issues and he certainly saw those shinny belangers

Agreed! My problem was with a G4 is that the shield is part of the manifold, not like the G 1-3's.

If you can put the shields back on, you'll never have an issue with the visual.
What happened when the 2 shops asked for the CARB sticker? Where you able to leave and look for another shop or did they fail you?

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened when the 2 shops asked for the CARB sticker? Where you able to leave and look for another shop or did they fail you?

They said, no carb sticker, we can't smog. So just left, they won't fail you. Yes, then went to my regular shop and they had no issues.

I you have a viper or similar car, they will first open the hood, look for the emissions sticker under the hood, then look around. In one case the guy said you have headers, do you have a carb sticker or paperwork. The second shop spend 5 minutes looking under the hood, then said, you have headers and we can't find the carb sticker, do you know where it's at? Both wouldn't start testing and each told me without documentation, they wouldn't perform a smog test.

My advise is to find a local shop that doesn't care, there are plenty (I'm in South OC). From that day forward take all you cars there and even if there $20.00 more than other shops, make friends and stay loyal. good luck, Mike

OP
OP
V

Victor96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They said, no carb sticker, we can't smog. So just left, they won't fail you. Yes, then went to my regular shop and they had no issues.

I you have a viper or similar car, they will first open the hood, look for the emissions sticker under the hood, then look around. In one case the guy said you have headers, do you have a carb sticker or paperwork. The second shop spend 5 minutes looking under the hood, then said, you have headers and we can't find the carb sticker, do you know where it's at? Both wouldn't start testing and each told me without documentation, they wouldn't perform a smog test.

My advise is to find a local shop that doesn't care, there are plenty (I'm in South OC). From that day forward take all you cars there and even if there $20.00 more than other shops, make friends and stay loyal. good luck, Mike
The guy I took it took actually did the test. He then opened the the hood, and just commented that if I should get a cold air intake to make sure I have a CARB sticker. Don't think he even looked for headers, or perhaps he just saw the heat shields and moved onto looking for CAI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acmeinfolabs