Your thoughts.... Buying a 06 or 09 viper

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive caught the bug, I need a Viper.

I have been looking for a few weeks now, I have a couple 06 coupes that I like and I have a few 09 cars that have really good purchase deals.

I always mod my cars, suspension, programmers, wheels and tires, CAI, exhaust stuff like that.

Does the 09 have the potential to modify? is there enough product out there to address these areas or is the 06 a better or easier car to modify?

Any thoughts on this would be great, thanks.

MB

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Theres some good deals on some 08' snakes that can save ya some money over an 09', then you can spend the money you saved and buy the mods. Mods are available, you just gotta search a little... Then take it to a good tunner... good luck

escapedan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently purchased a '06 coupe (First Edition) with 16k miles primarily for autocross and track day events. Given the cost savings, I am extremely happy. Some things I have learned and you might want to consider (aside from the obvious stuff) - the 06 has a hydraloc differential versus the 08+ has a viscoloc. The newer diff is a substantial improvement over the older one and you will likely have to replace the hydraloc if you abuse it (and if you are like me, you will). Good news, there are lots of aftermarket options and vendors on this site that can help you when that time comes. I understand the shocks on the 06 are prone to leaking a bit as well and you will likely want to upgrade those in time. You will need to keep an eye on the tires on the 06 ones as they might be the run-flats and those are not a very "safe" option. I think most folks change to the PS2's or equivalent.

As I stated, I am extremely happy with my 2006 - easily the best car I have ever owned. If you are not used to Vipers, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest taking a couple of driver school days at the closest track so you can properly acclimate yourself to the horsepower, lack of traction control, and capabilities of this car. Good luck and happy hunting!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both. I would go with 09--better car, better sound out of factory, IMO--nicer looking hood than 06. The tweaks to tranny/motor are worth it but (and I in the minority) I don't think they drive that differently. I find the NAV on the 09 somewhat worthless.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ive caught the bug, I need a Viper.

MB

HI, My name is MB and I'm now addicted to Vipers ..........

It is a good sickness to have - welcome to the club. As far as your decision, it really comes down to the cash difference and how hard you want to drive your Viper. The '06 is easier to mod right now because the 08/09 have the cam in cam and the fact that Dodge really locked down the computer. The 08/09 does have significant advantages with the better engine, trans, and rear end. You could also get 0% on a new '09.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Theres some good deals on some 08' snakes that can save ya some money over an 09', then you can spend the money you saved and buy the mods. Mods are available, you just gotta search a little... Then take it to a good tunner... good luck

Ive been looking for an 08, cant find any but weird colors. If you have any links to some for sale please pass it along. thanks much

MB

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently purchased a '06 coupe (First Edition) with 16k miles primarily for autocross and track day events. Given the cost savings, I am extremely happy. Some things I have learned and you might want to consider (aside from the obvious stuff) - the 06 has a hydraloc differential versus the 08+ has a viscoloc. The newer diff is a substantial improvement over the older one and you will likely have to replace the hydraloc if you abuse it (and if you are like me, you will). Good news, there are lots of aftermarket options and vendors on this site that can help you when that time comes. I understand the shocks on the 06 are prone to leaking a bit as well and you will likely want to upgrade those in time. You will need to keep an eye on the tires on the 06 ones as they might be the run-flats and those are not a very "safe" option. I think most folks change to the PS2's or equivalent.

As I stated, I am extremely happy with my 2006 - easily the best car I have ever owned. If you are not used to Vipers, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest taking a couple of driver school days at the closest track so you can properly acclimate yourself to the horsepower, lack of traction control, and capabilities of this car. Good luck and happy hunting!

Good to hear your happy with your 06. Most of the issues you mention would be things I would change anyway so these may not really be a issue for me if I go with 06 ownership.

Im good on the Driving / Horsepower aspect ( I think) although getting whatever I purchase to the track sounds like fun.

I have both. I would go with 09--better car, better sound out of factory, IMO--nicer looking hood than 06. The tweaks to tranny/motor are worth it but (and I in the minority) I don't think they drive that differently. I find the NAV on the 09 somewhat worthless.

The 09 im looking at does not have nav so no issue there. If I do a 06 I was thinking I would change to a 08 hood and make an exhaust system for it as well, so these would not be issues.....

HI, My name is MB and I'm now addicted to Vipers ..........

It is a good sickness to have - welcome to the club. As far as your decision, it really comes down to the cash difference and how hard you want to drive your Viper. The '06 is easier to mod right now because the 08/09 have the cam in cam and the fact that Dodge really locked down the computer. The 08/09 does have significant advantages with the better engine, trans, and rear end. You could also get 0% on a new '09.

Good Luck!

Hey , thanks. I hope to be " in " the club soon, almost there.

So whats faster on the street a 06 with exhaust, tune and intake or a stock 09?

Thanks MB

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been looking for an 08, cant find any but weird colors. If you have any links to some for sale please pass it along. thanks much

What colors are you looking for or dismissing ?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Site sponser BUHLER has a LOADED WHIE BLUE STRIPE Vert ready to roll at a GREAT PRICE.

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What colors are you looking for or dismissing ?

All white is my first choice, would take black stripes. looking at at a white 09 with grey stripes now.

Would look at red if it was a great deal.

Not into the yellow, green blue colors as all my projects are white and red. Cool colors all the same just not for me as I am trying to keep this one matching the other rides.

MB

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So whats faster on the street a 06 with exhaust, tune and intake or a stock 09?

Thanks MB

A 08 Viper comes stock with 600hp vs. a 06 Viper with 500 hp. I don't think an exhaust/tune/intake 06 is going to come anywhere close to a stock 08. My 08 dyno'd 560whp stock, and is quite a handful for most modded C6's, and non-cam Z06's as long as they aren't on spray. The modded 06 Viper's I've played with, didn't have a chance. Besides, all that extra power, a better transmission, and a full factory warranty for a stock 09 is an unbelievable bargain. I too started looking at buying a 03 convertible, talked myself to an 06 vert to get the blue, then to a coupe, and then to a brand spanking new 08 coupe. You won't regret the 09 one bit. :2tu:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think the 0% financing will work if you plan on Canadian importation. Also that will kill the warranty but as you are modding the car anyways...

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 FE Coupe and an 08 Bright Blue Vert. The 06 has Random Tech cats and Corsa exhaust plus a Paxton. 646 rwhp. The 06 is faster than my 08 but the 08 Vert is my car of choice for cruising. The 06 being the obvious choice for track stuff and the coupe is simply better looking. Put the 08 hood on my 06 and it makes a huge difference in appearance. Also put an aftermarket Kenwood KVT 819DVD with sub in the 06. Can watch my favorite movie on the flip out DVD screen. Great mod for those really long trips.

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A 08 Viper comes stock with 600hp vs. a 06 Viper with 500 hp. I don't think an exhaust/tune/intake 06 is going to come anywhere close to a stock 08. My 08 dyno'd 560whp stock, and is quite a handful for most modded C6's, and non-cam Z06's as long as they aren't on spray. The modded 06 Viper's I've played with, didn't have a chance. Besides, all that extra power, a better transmission, and a full factory warranty for a stock 09 is an unbelievable bargain. I too started looking at buying a 03 convertible, talked myself to an 06 vert to get the blue, then to a coupe, and then to a brand spanking new 08 coupe. You won't regret the 09 one bit. :2tu:

Yes, like you I started looking at the 03 -04 cars, seems like a a good way to try a Viper...... then the 06's and now likely a 09. It looks like most feel that the ride and performance is worth the extra $$

Thanks MB

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont think the 0% financing will work if you plan on Canadian importation. Also that will kill the warranty but as you are modding the car anyways...

No financing..... cash purchase this time. I have a bit of an issue with a 90G car and no warranty but buying CDN is just way to much $$ for the same car??

I did find a nice blue / black ACR, waiting to get some numbers on it, but its not white......

MB

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 06 FE Coupe and an 08 Bright Blue Vert. The 06 has Random Tech cats and Corsa exhaust plus a Paxton. 646 rwhp. The 06 is faster than my 08 but the 08 Vert is my car of choice for cruising. The 06 being the obvious choice for track stuff and the coupe is simply better looking. Put the 08 hood on my 06 and it makes a huge difference in appearance. Also put an aftermarket Kenwood KVT 819DVD with sub in the 06. Can watch my favorite movie on the flip out DVD screen. Great mod for those really long trips.

Sounds like the 06 runs strong, must be fun. if I do buy a 06 there will be a 08 hood on it asap for sure, I agree they look way better IMO.

MB

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 08 and had an 03 with a Paxton. If I was looking to modify a Viper, I'd look for a nice 03-06 and send it to Woodhouse for a Paxton and 3.55 gear. Great bang for the buck. You really can't modify a Gen 4.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About a year ago I was in the same position as you. I only wanted a no stripes coupe. I figured as a first Viper, an 06 would be the way to go, plus a lot less money. After 3 to 4 months of research, talking to other Viper owners that track their cars, local chapter president, etc, I started looking at Gen IV's.

Here is how I figured it. To get an upgraded rear end, better posi, stronger half shafts, nearly 100 more hp, better Michelin tires, better trans, lighter 6 spoke rims, electric fan upgrade and full warranty was worth the $20k or so difference I was looking at. To get all those upgrades would have cost way over $20k (and no warranty) if you have someone else do the installs on Gen III.

Getting to break in a zero mileage 2009 Viper....priceless:)

I agree that the Navi is probably the worse I have ever seen. Also, the 3.07 rear gear is stupid, but it needs to be upgraded in Gen III too IMHO.

Go with the 2009, you're going to love the beast.

Cheers,
George

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand everything George says but there is nothing quite like the rush you get with a Paxton. My 03 (with Paxton, Motons, 3.55, Corsa, flywheel, oil pan, tune....) with 20k miles sold for $40k. I've seen similar cars for sale......just a thought.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the market for an ACR and may sell my 08 coupe if the price is right. I have posted the car for sale in the classifieds. It is pending approval.

Bruce

Last edited:

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Agree 100%. GEN IV the better buy, by far.

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im pretty much there now ........ a 09 that is Lots of owners here are saying the same thing as you have shared as your first hand experience. I have pics coming in of one 06 with just a few miles on it. Will check it out.

I have a few 09's now that I have been in contact with the selling dealers, seems there are some good deals out there once you start talking cash sale.

Time will tell, it wont be long now.

Thanks MB

About a year ago I was in the same position as you. I only wanted a no stripes coupe. I figured as a first Viper, an 06 would be the way to go, plus a lot less money. After 3 to 4 months of research, talking to other Viper owners that track their cars, local chapter president, etc, I started looking at Gen IV's.

Here is how I figured it. To get an upgraded rear end, better posi, stronger half shafts, nearly 100 more hp, better Michelin tires, better trans, lighter 6 spoke rims, electric fan upgrade and full warranty was worth the $20k or so difference I was looking at. To get all those upgrades would have cost way over $20k (and no warranty) if you have someone else do the installs on Gen III.

Getting to break in a zero mileage 2009 Viper....priceless:)

I agree that the Navi is probably the worse I have ever seen. Also, the 3.07 rear gear is stupid, but it needs to be upgraded in Gen III too IMHO.

Go with the 2009, you're going to love the beast.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand everything George says but there is nothing quite like the rush you get with a Paxton. My 03 (with Paxton, Motons, 3.55, Corsa, flywheel, oil pan, tune....) with 20k miles sold for $40k. I've seen similar cars for sale......just a thought.

I know what you mean. SC is the way to go, Ive done a few cars with Procharger and have always been impressed with the outcome.

In fact I'm building a 1000HP Procharged LS7 in a Colorado right now, just fired it a couple weeks ago for the first time.

MB

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the market for an ACR and may sell my 08 coupe if the price is right. I have posted the car for sale in the classifieds. It is pending approval.

Bruce

Hey Bruce, your car is beautiful. I just have a thing for red / white / black projects so I have a hard time adding blue in to the mix of vehicles.

Thanks and GLWS.

MB

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just saw a sweet RED ummm sort of RED one on ebay from a dealer.:dunno:

I think I know the one your speaking of......... Dont know the correct name for that color but im not a fan so I passed on that one. I think it also has the tan interior which is a little different.....

I think I now live on Ebay and the classified section here. I need ot just go buy a car so I can then catch up on my work.

MB

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought 08s had 600 HP at the fly wheel. How does yours get 560 RWHP? That is less than 7% drive line loss

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep...The 08's will dyno 540 on average and the 2003's will dyno 440 on average...Ocassionally some of them will get up as high as 560 and 460 respectively...

The 2003 handles quite well..It's just not gonna pull the same lap times because it is 100 rwhp down..

If your gonna add motons any way then id suggest a 2003...If your gonna go for good power then id suggest a 2003..

While a 540 rwhp 2008 Viper is simply amazing..They seem to max out right now around 610 rwhp with all the available bolt ons..

A 2003 will max out at 510 rwhp with all available bolt ons BUT....You can add a paxton supercharger for 640-680 rwhp..

2003 srt10=39

motons=5K

paton supercharger installed=9K

total investment is 53K and you have a 650 rwhp beaste that will eat all but the best on a road course...

thats the route I would go....