05 and 06 possible recall coming

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heard on the radio that the 05 and 06 might have an issue with the rear ends or suspension, several accidents have occured bu no recall has been issued ..........yet. caught me off gaurd when they said it so I didn't get all the info, anybody else hear it?:omg:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard on the radio that the 05 and 06 might have an issue with the rear ends or suspension, several accidents have occured bu no recall has been issued ..........yet. caught me off gaurd when they said it so I didn't get all the info, anybody else hear it?:omg:
This is just an investigation, standard procedure when safety related complaint and injury have been filed. Doubtful there will be a recall as a result, especially since these parts are the same in Gen 4 as well.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you might be jumping the gun a bit on this one...the Feds are looking into a couple reported incidents where the knuckle that provides the attachment point for the rear toe link cracked. An investigation does not mean a recall in any way, shape, or form, and the issue has been discussed at length in other threads.

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Autos Dodge Viper suspension problem may lead to federal recall
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating a suspension issue affecting about 2,500 Dodge Viper supercars. The agency says a rear suspension connector could come loose, with two crashes and one injury reportedly caused by the problem. Investigators will determine if the problem merits a recall.

sounded like the lady on the radio read this word for word..........

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the type of accidents and pics posted on this forum I sure hope there is a recall. There should be no need for aftermarket brackets that need to be installed in the event of it cracking. It should not even be a concern to Viper owners. Sooner or later if nothing is done someone will die because of this.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering if Chrysler will resist this because a similar suspension part is used in Gen IV and Gen V Vipers. Also, it is unclear on why these suspension components failed. It is possible the bits were damaged during trailering or during servicing, which might lead to a service advisory but no recall.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering if Chrysler will resist this because a similar suspension part is used in Gen IV and Gen V Vipers. Also, it is unclear on why these suspension components failed. It is possible the bits were damaged during trailering or during servicing, which might lead to a service advisory but no recall.
The gen V is completely different concerning the rear suspension.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gen V is completely different concerning the rear suspension.

The toe link has been moved from behind the arms to the front of the arms, but I'm not sure if that would cure the issue in the complaint, if there is an issue at all. The rest is very pretty similar as it looks to me?

2009:
You must be registered for see images

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2009-dodge-viper-srt-10-suspension-walkaround.html

2013:
You must be registered for see images

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2013-srt-viper-gts-suspension-walkaround.html

I am assuming the complaint in the OP's post is similar to this:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/660606-Rear-wheel-breaks-off!!!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no doubt that the rear knuckle is basically made out of glass. Unfortunately I have broken several....:crazy2:

I can say from personal experience, any impact to the rear wheel/axle will will damage the knuckle. It's that simple.....:dunno:

For the last year or so, I have been using a bracket that braces the the knuckle's "wing" to the main hub. It is similar to SO's but thicker and a little bigger.
NO PROBLEMS SO FAR...

Mine was built by the fabricator that built my roll cage.

( Sorry for the dirty suspension photos....)
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler corp should remake the rear knuckle assembly with harden steel or a tungsten alloy, there no reason for the knuckle to break and support bracket is stronger than the knuckle.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you'd quit hitting stuff, then you wouldn't have a problem! ;)

My sentiments exactly:2tu:

So you've never run over a tall or rough rumble strip on track? How about a curb...????

That's all it takes....

BTW....Bet your car ins. is really cheap. Especially since you've never had an accident, fender bender or any type of
automotive mishap...;)

But seriously, this IS a problem. It would be great if we could say that we won't hit anything. Truth of the matter is, the more you drive, the risk of a problem increases...

Last edited:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good, maybe this will fix the knock in my rear end whenever I go over the curb out of my driveway.

Same thing happening to my 2009. Found it to be a loose sway bar link bolt. Honestly, it felt tight when I tried to tighten it, but another quarter turn and the same knock going up and down driveways went away....that was 3 years ago.

Good luck,
George

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wouldn't this problem affect the earlier gen 3's as well? I'd think the 03's and 04's would be included the same way the gen 4's might be due to similar/identical design.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do think the rear knuckle does have a possible breakage issue, but the overall all subject matter of what is actually failing on the road is very vague. At first I thought people were having issues with A-arms, then it sounded like toe links and now knuckles.

I think the biggest concern is cars that are just driving on the road, not doing anything crazy and the "widget" breaks and causes the car to go in the ditch. With all the miles put on the Gen 3/4's after all these years, you'd think we'd be able to document at least one breakage that didn't end up in an accident. Hopefully they get this figured out soon.

Cheers,
George

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't this problem affect the earlier gen 3's as well? I'd think the 03's and 04's would be included the same way the gen 4's might be due to similar/identical design.

Yes...it would affect all Vipers from 2003-2010, and possibly the 2013s depending on whether or not the rear knuckle is the old design just flipped.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My insurance is 700 bucks a year, not sure if this is cheap or not. If I have an accident or hit a curb, I have my car checked and fixed instead of telling myself nothing could possibly happen but this is just me... There are a few Vipers out there with relatively high mileage, I think we would see these Vipers dropping wheels left and right if a defective part was at fault.
So you've never run over a tall or rough rumble strip on track? How about a curb...????

That's all it takes....

BTW....Bet your car ins. is really cheap. Especially since you've never had an accident, fender bender or any type of
automotive mishap...;)

But seriously, this IS a problem. It would be great if we could say that we won't hit anything. Truth of the matter is, the more you drive, the risk of a problem increases...

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The knock ain't coming from that. The knuckle is either broken or not. No in between on that one.
Something else is making the noise.

What do you mean by something else?? There are an awful lot of parts in the rear half of the car, and the sound is coming from the rear. It has to be something back there.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonna need a good inspection-- so many things can knock in the suspension. I had a knock from a bad shock-- and it wasn't even a leaker! You will have to pull the rear wheels and check everything out for loose hardware as a start. Some parts such as ball joints and shocks may not have any visible signs of defects (or be loose to movement by hand), unfortunately. Sometimes just getting out the torque specs and a wrench and going over the fasteners involved with the rear suspension will find the culprit.

The lower rear shock mount on the control arm has a rubber bushing with a steel sleeve and that has been known to go south on occasion. Sway bar end links are a good one to check out as well. Overall, if there's nothing you can easily detect this could require a shop's help and some $$$.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do you mean by something else?? There are an awful lot of parts in the rear half of the car, and the sound is coming from the rear. It has to be something back there.

He's talking specifically about a broken knuckle. This is cast aluminum part - it doesn't bend nor flex. If it is still fully intact and not broken in any way, then it must be something else causing the noise you're hearing.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Keep in mind there were two reported , not 200, and with all the track time , etc. one has to wonder if this is even an issue. There seems to be some concern about when the problem occurred and whether it was actually caused by said accident. We , as a group, should be the last ones to be speculating on such a tiny number, especially when this is only an investigation -- definitely not a recall.

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if it is 2 or 200 it should not matter, especially if you are one of the 2, plus since it is such an iconic "super" car I would nip this "issue" quick especially since the number of effected cars is so small, if they want people to spend over 100K on a new one then they need to take care of the older ones too, or why take the chance, plenty of other choices out there for 100k with no issues

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte