'08 Coupe $2500 off MSRP

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Because that dealer is smart. History has shown that these cars especially not well optioned ones like that (basic rims and no nav)tend to SIT A LONG TIME. Better to discount it a little where they still make a good markup and see it go then have to accept taking 11k or more off it in a few months of sitting stale.

This of course was assuming the 08's had better wheel option(s) then that awful H pattern and a nav type unit like the RB1 was available too.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the 08s are stating to sell below msrp the 06 prices will even suffer imo.the market is soft on all makes of cars .

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those dealers are smart. There are still brand new 2006 Vipers with steep discounts still sitting on the lots, no reason to think these will sell any quicker once supply catches up with demand.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because that dealer is smart. History has shown that these cars especially not well optioned ones like that (basic rims and no nav)tend to SIT A LONG TIME. Better to discount it a little where they still make a good markup and see it go then have to accept taking 11k or more off it in a few months of sitting stale.

This of course was assuming the 08's had better wheel option(s) then that awful H pattern and a nav type unit like the RB1 was available too.

There are THREE other wheel options, and the H Spoke is NOT the base wheel. The 5 spoke is, the Razor is also optional and the black sidewinder is also available if you order ACR, and the RB1 Radio IS indeed on the option list.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the car is good deal.This car is not a base car---it's a Viper, not a Neon. It's got extra cost paint and optional wheels. And, it's got 600 horsepower! People need to realize that color and wheel choices are very personal choices---that's why it's great we have 8 colors and 3 different wheel choices, not including the Sidewinders, available from the factory for the 2008 model year. And that's not counting the ACR! :2tu:

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
huffines in plano said they would sell me one for $2000 over cost.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those dealers are smart. There are still brand new 2006 Vipers with steep discounts still sitting on the lots, no reason to think these will sell any quicker once supply catches up with demand.

I have seen two blue/silver new 06's. What other new ones do dealers have for sale? There is a brand new 06 with 50 miles on it for $69k on eBAY. $21k discount!

If that coupe was closer to Dallas it would already be in my garage!:2tu:

I was thinking the same thing, except GTS blue and the stock wheels.

huffines in plano said they would sell me one for $2000 over cost.

What is cost on a new Viper? I'd much prefer the 08 to the 06 if the cost wasn't TOO much more. Who did you talk to? Feel free to PM me.

BTW, anyone notice how the 08 is rated at 22mpg? I thought the new standards were supposed to LOWER the ratings, not raise them.

Jason

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the he!! is the New Jersey cost surcharge?? A kickback to the mafia?

NJsurcharge.jpg

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In California they have another sticker called the "Dealer Availability Cost" where they try to stick the buyer for another 10%. You can see an extreme example of one in Maurice's Vipers Buyers guide marked at $100,000 back in 92 for the original RT10's.
Most people know not even look at the second sticker but about 1 in 20 buyers pays the full MSRP plus the Dealer Availability Cost.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the he!! is the New Jersey cost surcharge?? A kickback to the mafia?

NJsurcharge.jpg

When dealers in NJ (all manufactures) do warrantee work they get reimbursed by the factory at MSRP for parts and labor. (vs. getting reimbursed at parts costs and labor at a rate below their established customer rate). The dealers were able to get this legislation passed in NJ, and this also applies in a couple of other states. So, some manufactures raise the dealer cost of the car to compensate for this additional anticipated expense.

Bottom line in NJ, MSRP is the same, dealer cost is slightly higher, dealer's in NJ make more on warrantee work then dealers in the surounding states.

OP
OP
V

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When dealers in NJ (all manufactures) do warrantee work they get reimbursed by the factory at MSRP for parts and labor. (vs. getting reimbursed at parts costs and labor at a rate below their established customer rate). The dealers were able to get this legislation passed in NJ, and this also applies in a couple of other states. So, some manufactures raise the dealer cost of the car to compensate for this additional anticipated expense.

Bottom line in NJ, MSRP is the same, dealer cost is slightly higher, dealer's in NJ make more on warrantee work then dealers in the surounding states.

Good explanation. Thanks!

SixFootSix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MSRP is a joke, the dealers get paid when they sell a car anyway...

Yeah, it is called hold back. This is how the big dealers can sell you cars at cost. The cost is what they paid up front, and does not include the hold back. I have a chevy dealer that will sell me any chevy in the state at cost. They just keep the hold back.
BL

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i heard grapevine chrylser has a green/coupe/stripes on showroom

Went by to look at it. They're asking $100,945 for this car that has stripes and the "H" wheels. No one approached me from the time I walked into the dealership for 6 minutes, until I came to the receptionist and asked if the salespeople were off for the holidays. Supposedly this is one or two Vipers that they will get. I do like the green a lot, and it really sets off the car. Exotic colors go great on exotic cars. Reminds me of the Lamborghini green, so I can't wait to see what the new blue and orange will look like.

Jason

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malu59RT - Thanks for the heads up on the insane pricing at Grapevine, you just saved me a two hour trip!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To find out information on the car maybe? I figured they got paid to help people out, not sit on their ass all day and show me where to sign on the dotted line. I sure as hell wouldn't drop $90k on a dealership that treated me like crap.

Jason

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malu59RT - Thanks for the heads up on the insane pricing at Grapevine, you just saved me a two hour trip!

You're welcome, I had to drive by it twice to figure out how to exit the freeway to get on the service road, lol. PM Bill P, as I'm sure he can get a better deal, and has the customer service to back it up.

Jason

Dealmaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To find out information on the car maybe? I figured they got paid to help people out, not sit on their ass all day and show me where to sign on the dotted line. I sure as hell wouldn't drop $90k on a dealership that treated me like crap.

Jason
Based on the fact that you don't appear to own a Viper, I guess that hasn't happened yet anyhow:rolleyes:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on the fact that you don't appear to own a Viper, I guess that hasn't happened yet anyhow:rolleyes:

If I owned a Viper, why would I go to a dealership to look at one? :rolleyes: I don't make purchases over night without doing research. If you do, I have a few things I'd like to sell you...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, anyone notice how the 08 is rated at 22mpg? I thought the new standards were supposed to LOWER the ratings, not raise them.

While the new standards did lower the ratings, if you read a lot about the 08s, the engine, etc. redesign provided a substantial increase to the MPG. So yes, prior cars did see a reduction, but this is a new design after the ratings changes, and therefore those ratings changes are not applicable because there isn't a before and after version to compare (e.g., like other cars which were in the midst of a several year model design from before and after the ratings changes).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang