08 Goes 11.13 today at OSW!!

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but why does the rear end gear ratio make any difference when standing start acceleration on a stock Viper is already traction limited?

And what is the difference between "stock" and "bone stock." If a car is modified from OE, it isn't stock. Period.

Performance Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is saying that if he has to shift to 5th gear...thats a waste of time in a huge way just before crossing the traps at the end of the drag strip.

If you can wind it out in the power band while crossing the "finish line" your doing nice work.;)

The ZO6 hits 60 mph in first gear. If you had to shift to second to do that there is time lost and it takes more of it to hit 60.
Go to Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030 or Comp Cams web site.
Punch in your tire diameter, desired trap speed and walah. It spits out what gears you need to run. Kinda easy:) It will also tell you what gears you need to run specific cam profiles. Use a big cam and lousy gear ratio = a dog! it gets much deeper than this but it's the basics. Being traction limited is always a drama. Its getting it to launch from a stand still that takes talent and much practice. Once your hooked up bring on the power.

Last edited:

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Way to go Keith, next time you rent the track let me know, I will definitely come out. And for all the ZO6 lovers on this board, I am sure there is some Vette site you can spend your time on. I have been to a lot of tracks and have yet to see a new ZO6 "stock" run in the low 11s, much less a 10.90. Mostly they are banging out high 11s and low low 12s, at least the ones I have seen.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually Jamie beat Rangers time. So you have Jamie, Ranger, then you have about 10-15 others on there fast list from 11.1-11.3 1/4 mile times, bone stock. I love the Viper, but face it, the Z06 beats it with two equal drivers on equal tracks. Mostly due to gearing, weight and the fact that the Z06 holds its peak power for like 1000 rpms or something like that.
Mike, time to change your signature...u got like 6 million rear wheel horses now!:guitar:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bone stock the Gen 4 Viper and Vette Z are different cars. The Viper kills the Vette as a race car. The Vette is better in a straight line in the 1/4 mile w/ a FEW drivers. Most drivers (all the rags drivers) get better times in the Viper than the Vette in the 1/4 mile..including Danika Patrick, see Motor Trend (ok, I cannot believe I used that). The Vette comes w/ a 3:42 rear end...so changing the Viper to a 3:33 rear end, while not stock, is putting the Gen 4 closer to the Vettes make up for straight line racing. So what if one or two drivers can get better times in the Z than the Viper in the 1/4. The rest of America cannot get those times. The mag drivers cannot get those times, and if u change out the gas guzzler tax avoiding rear end...you will kill the Z in just about every race.

Jamie Furman is badass...so is Tiger Woods. But people like that are exceptionally rare, and your chance of coming across them in a race is equally as rare.

Last edited:

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually Jamie beat Rangers time. So you have Jamie, Ranger, then you have about 10-15 others on there fast list from 11.1-11.3 1/4 mile times, bone stock. I love the Viper, but face it, the Z06 beats it with two equal drivers on equal tracks. Mostly due to gearing, weight and the fact that the Z06 holds its peak power for like 1000 rpms or something like that.

Chill out dude, it took a while for the Z06 to get to the 11.2 range, and Ranger lives at the strip.

Combine less Vipers being sold to less guys that are pro "stock" drag racers with vipers and it may take a while.

Far to early to be crying defeat.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here comes that old rivalry of what people consider stock:

"Stock 08 Convertible with 3.33 Unitrax gears, Quaife rear, and A6 Hoosiers."

I would say the 'with' part eliminates the 'stock' part.

In any case, no 'power adders' certainly, and thats a great time. Congrats.

My sentiments exactly.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chill out dude, it took a while for the Z06 to get to the 11.2 range, and Ranger lives at the strip.

Combine less Vipers being sold to less guys that are pro "stock" drag racers with vipers and it may take a while.

Far to early to be crying defeat.

This has been debated for years. At any rate, the Gen 3 was around for 3 years, NO low 11's or 10 sec runs STOCK. Sure there may be great drivers that just happen to drive a Vette rather then a Viper. Sure every time Ive been at drag strip, I see Z06's run 11.8-12.2's. Sure we can debate for hours. Its pontless.... Until a Viper beats the Vette, stock for stcok, your wrong.
Thank you and have a nice day ..l..

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This has been debated for years. At any rate, the Gen 3 was around for 3 years, NO low 11's or 10 sec runs STOCK. Sure there may be great drivers that just happen to drive a Vette rather then a Viper. Sure every time Ive been at drag strip, I see Z06's run 11.8-12.2's. Sure we can debate for hours. Its pontless.... Until a Viper beats the Vette, stock for stcok, your wrong.

Any comparison I have seen with an '08 Viper and C6Z has the Viper on top by .1 to .3...same driver, same track. Do you have other info?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any comparison I have seen with an '08 Viper and C6Z has the Viper on top by .1 to .3...same driver, same track. Do you have other info?

I dont compare magazines, we all know they can be biased, good or bad. Im still just looking to the many ,many vids and timeslips posted of stock Z06's running low,low 11's.

Again, I could care less, I drive a Viper, I wanted a Viper, not a Vette. But I'll give credit where credit is due. Others also point to the Viper being a track car, not a drag car. Thats fine, its a hell of a track car, especially the new ACR. But definatley isnt the fastest drag car compared to the Vette, at least not yet.....

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score

How do we know that both Ranger's, or Jaime's cars were 100 percent bonestock??:)
Besides, My friend who owns a C6Z, can only muster mid 11's. And he has all the boltons on his car. Which dynoed at 493rwhp. So go figure.;)

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont compare magazines, we all know they can be biased, good or bad. Im still just looking to the many ,many vids and timeslips posted of stock Z06's running low,low 11's.

Again, I could care less, I drive a Viper, I wanted a Viper, not a Vette. But I'll give credit where credit is due. Others also point to the Viper being a track car, not a drag car. Thats fine, its a hell of a track car, especially the new ACR. But definatley isnt the fastest drag car compared to the Vette, at least not yet.....

The only comparison is same day, same driver, same track..the rest is BS. That being said...I have owned 3 c6z's...8 Gen 3 Vipers, and 1 '08 Coupe. I can tell you without a doubt that the 08 Viper is faster in all aspects than the c6z. Not by alot, but enough. My gut tells me .4 in the 1320. The fastest I turned in my Z's were 11.6. I believe I can burn about an 11.2 in this '08. Will know soon.

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More pride, *** Jamie!!!! when you are getting these 10's in your BONE STOCK Z06, what are your revs at launch ?!?!?!?!?

I guarantee the guy running in the low 11's in the Viper is not Launching even close to what you are in order to get into the 10's !!!!

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More pride, *** Jamie!!!! when you are getting these 10's in your BONE STOCK Z06, what are your revs at launch ?!?!?!?!?

I guarantee the guy running in the low 11's in the Viper is not Launching even close to what you are in order to get into the 10's !!!!

I didn't say more pride someone else did! I don't have pride in my vocabulary when it comes to cars, I like all makes and I own all makes, no pride involved. I don't buy a car and say its the fastest because I own it and act like every other brand *****! I buy it because I like it. Thats why I bought my Ford GT and my Z06 and thats why I am buying a New ACR! The fastest one will be the one that runs the best time, not the one I want to be the fastest because I want it to be. Someone asked to see my timeslips for the Z06, heres one bone stock and one with DR's. Also someone asked how do they know my car is stock? Well you don't but if you show up at the tracks where I race I will show you, we can hook up a laptop and check it out for yourself, and if you bring your Viper we can line up and I will show you how a stocker runs! Fast One, on another note, the 08 Viper that ran 11.13 with gears and tires had a better 60' than my 10 second runs so I guess that kills you theory about which car is launching harder!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, do you think you have a chance to break those times in the ACR, or will the aero slow you down? Will you pull the wing & splitter off? jc

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only comparison is same day, same driver, same track..the rest is BS. That being said...I have owned 3 c6z's...8 Gen 3 Vipers, and 1 '08 Coupe. I can tell you without a doubt that the 08 Viper is faster in all aspects than the c6z. Not by alot, but enough. My gut tells me .4 in the 1320. The fastest I turned in my Z's were 11.6. I believe I can burn about an 11.2 in this '08. Will know soon.
Absolute Fact about comparisons! I think you can run 11.2.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, do you think you have a chance to break those times in the ACR, or will the aero slow you down? Will you pull the wing & splitter off? jc

I haven't drove a new 08 Viper yet but I hope I can beat the time of the Z06 when I run in the same conditions as I ran the Z06 in, with 600 hp I hope to go faster but with the weight and gearing I don't know if its possible? I agree with snakeplisken that to compare times the most accurately you need to run in similar conditions, but I don't agree it has to be the same track, same day, same driver etc because that just never happens. I will say this also, when I read somewhere someone has run a better time than me with the same equipment I don't start looking for excuses and reasons why he went faster like weather, track elevation etc. I just assume that he and his cars are as fast or faster than mine and if we ever meet up on the same track I will find out for sure, because as you will surely find out there is always someone that is going to go faster. Also unfortunately I think most people want to believe whatever they own is the fastest whether it is or not and if they don't own it then it *****! In the real world that is not the case and most of the guys that post that kind of talk have never even been on a racetrack and probably never will be on one. As far as the Viper being faster than the Z06 maybe it is? I hope so because I am hoping to buy a faster car than the ones I have now, not a slower one! Anyone who owns a C6Z06 and can only get 11.6 out of it needs some practice driving it and I don't think that person can give a good comparison of the Z06 and Viper when he is not able to get the most out of each car. The guys that are fast in the Z06 and there are many of them, run 11.3's and better bone stock, my first pass ever in a C6Z06 was a friends brand new 06 with about 200 miles on it and I ran 11.31 at 128mph, it was late August and about 96 degrees outside and traction was very limited 2.02 60'. Thats when I knew I was going to own a Z06!

Last edited:

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, I stand corrected. I apologize. You must have one of those ringer production cars that everything comes together just right AND you must be a great driver. That is really impressive. Here in Phoenix, I have yet to see a stock Z06 run even close to your time, even in Winter. I do not run my car at the strip,just not my bag( no turns), but go along with a friend who also has an 06'. It just seems that the only guys talking trash about running faster than his Viper are the Rice Boys and the New Vette Guys. Some times you are just thinking, CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!!! I have yet to see anyone actually run what they claim as totally stock. My friend runs an extra set of tires so he isn't actually BONE STOCK. He is running in the low 11's, but I think he is kind of in your situation with the above average skill in the 1/4 mile quick shifts. Most Z06 guys are running in the high 11's if not low 12's. I apologize, again.

OP
OP
M

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Jamie and Fast1,
I just looked at Underground Weather and that explains a lot! The ZO6 is very fast but track conditions are also very important. Here is the history for that afternoon.

2:02 PM46.4 °F / 8.0 °C 8.6 °F / -13.0 °C 22%30.29 in / 1025.6 hPa 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers SSW8.1 mph / 13.0 km/h / 3.6 m/s - N/A Clear2:23 PM46.4 °F / 8.0 °C 10.4 °F / -12.0 °C 23%30.28 in / 1025.3 hPa 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers SSW4.6 mph / 7.4 km/h / 2.1 m/s - N/A Clear2:44 PM46.4 °F / 8.0 °C 10.4 °F / -12.0 °C 23%30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers South5.8 mph / 9.3 km/h / 2.6 m/s - N/A Clear3:05 PM46.4 °F / 8.0 °C 10.4 °F / -12.0 °C 23%30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers SSW3.5 mph / 5.6 km/h / 1.5 m/s - N/A Clear

2:45 in the afternoon it was only 46 degrees, 23% humidity, with a 30.27 barometer which is GREAT track conditions. Wish we had that down here sometime.

My 11.13 run was in 72 degree weather with a similar barometer. Humidty was about 60% so that wasn't bad. Not whining, just making a comparison. It was also only my second time at the track with this car and its not my daily driver so I don't get any practice on the street.

Jamie,
GREAT JOB driving that ZO6!! :2tu:
Having driven both I think the Viper will run the same times as the ZO6 with some practice and similar track conditins. However, I think you will find that due to the increased weight and lower gear its a REAL challenge. Put the 3.45 gears in the Viper and then run them. Both cars are extremely fast and a BLAST to drive. You will love your new ACR when it arrives. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have Belanger headers and Corsa exhaust coming so we can do some comparison runs soon.

Lets have fun running and keep setting records!!

Keith

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, I stand corrected. I apologize. You must have one of those ringer production cars that everything comes together just right AND you must be a great driver. That is really impressive. Here in Phoenix, I have yet to see a stock Z06 run even close to your time, even in Winter. I do not run my car at the strip,just not my bag( no turns), but go along with a friend who also has an 06'. It just seems that the only guys talking trash about running faster than his Viper are the Rice Boys and the New Vette Guys. Some times you are just thinking, CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!!! I have yet to see anyone actually run what they claim as totally stock. My friend runs an extra set of tires so he isn't actually BONE STOCK. He is running in the low 11's, but I think he is kind of in your situation with the above average skill in the 1/4 mile quick shifts. Most Z06 guys are running in the high 11's if not low 12's. I apologize, again.

No need to apologize! I am not hung up on the Z06 its just one of my cars, but its undeniable the C6Z06 is one of the all time bad ass cars and its hard for any vehicle to beat a Z06 with a good driver unless they have a modified car. Fast 1 I was actually just out in your neck of the woods, I just got back from the Bob Bondurant Road Racing School in Phoenix where I took the 4 day Gran Prix Road Racing course in March as I am tired of Drag Racing cars myself. I used to race motorcycles and I think I am a pretty good driver so I got my SCCA License at Bondurant and now I am ready to give that a try!
I had done a few DE's in the past but I need more than that and if I am going to spend a whole day at the track I want to spend it on the track racing, not waiting in the staging lanes to make 3, 11 sec passes all day long:dunno:.
I am now trying to figure out how to actually enter and race a car and when I do I will be able to give the Viper and Vette a grade on an actual racetrack and not just 1/4 mile of asphalt because I also agree there is way more to a car than how fast it runs the 1/4 mile.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't say more pride someone else did! I don't have pride in my vocabulary when it comes to cars, I like all makes and I own all makes, no pride involved. I don't buy a car and say its the fastest because I own it and act like every other brand *****! I buy it because I like it. Thats why I bought my Ford GT and my Z06 and thats why I am buying a New ACR! The fastest one will be the one that runs the best time, not the one I want to be the fastest because I want it to be. Someone asked to see my timeslips for the Z06, heres one bone stock and one with DR's. Also someone asked how do they know my car is stock? Well you don't but if you show up at the tracks where I race I will show you, we can hook up a laptop and check it out for yourself, and if you bring your Viper we can line up and I will show you how a stocker runs! Fast One, on another note, the 08 Viper that ran 11.13 with gears and tires had a better 60' than my 10 second runs so I guess that kills you theory about which car is launching harder!

Quit trying to blanket yourself with the "I am buying a new ACR". Your runs have been questioned even by members over on the corvetteforums to. Get real dude.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, since you love the Z06 so much, did you at least show it some love and get it a real paint job? You didn't leave it as is, with that rustoleum can quality, orange peel, did you? Heck, if GM isn't going to show their flagship some love, I sure hope their consumers do.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I love fast cars, but all this my Z06 this and my Viper that is getting OLD! Give it a rest already! If you can run low 9s in a stone stock Z06 good for you!

miamispd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Keith: Congratulations. Very impressive. Car looks gorgeous.

Jorge

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, I can't believe some of what I'm reading. Especially from experienced drag racers. Track prep, elevation, weather, car break in, etc... all play a huge factor. The one behind the steering wheel is the biggest. Not to mention the amount of runs/times at the track. Of course there is going to be some abnormally low C6 Z06 times by now. The car has been out for years, and has probably made hundreds of passes at every 1/4 track in the country. And we are going to base some of the first runs of the Viper against the FASTEST time EVER for a stock Z06? LOL!!! :rolaugh::rolaugh: That is plain hysterical/ridiculous and clearly shows blind brand loyal in anyone who claims superiority based on this.... Think about it....

The only test that has any validity or logic in determining which car is faster (stock vs. stock) is same day/same driver/same track. And EVERY EVERY EVERY test I've read CLEARLY shows the '08 Viper being a FASTER and QUICKER car in the 1/4 mile. Some by small margins, some by moderate. But FASTER/QUICKER in every test. Period. Point me to one test that says otherwise. Motortrend? Car & Driver? Road & Track? Edmunds? Any? The reality is you can't, because the Viper has shown to be a faster car in every one. Not only at the 1/4 mile track, but the road course as well. I know that's tough to hear for some 'blinded by brand loyalty' Z06 lovers, but those are the facts. Like it or not.

Last edited:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets also keep in mind that the Viper is a bit underrated at 600hp. It has about 620+, which is over 100hp more than a Z06. The 1/4 mile is simply too short of a run to show the power advantage of the Viper, given the Z06's lighter weight and lower gearing. On a highway roll or a run up to 150mph or more, there would be a clearer advantage for the Viper. To sum it up, the Z06 is fairly close to the Viper in performance, albeit with cheaper parts, poor construction, milk toast appearance, boring interior, horrible paint, etc. Denying it is fairly close in performance is not realistic. Denying that it is not in the same league as a Viper is the result of a creative imagination and can lead to serious alcoholism.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone is going to break Jamie's Z06 time in a Viper, it is likely to be Jamie. I would think that you all would welcome him to the board and the VCA with open arms! I can't wait to see him do it! I find it very interesting that he has chosen the ACR as his weapon of choice. Coincidentally, a few of the tuners (RSI and UGR) have as well. Should be interesting to see what the draggers do with a road course car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21