08 Viper faster than FGT

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
while perusing the ford gt forum yesterday someone posted that he had driven the new Viper and from seat of the pants feel he felt it was faster than a stock FGT.

He Said it felt quicker 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile but could not say about road course or top speed. He said in the 1/4 it should trap at around 130mph.
I'm anxious for knowledge before I order and this helps a little though don't know how dependable that info is.

eagles

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
while perusing the ford gt forum yesterday someone posted that he had driven the new Viper and from seat of the pants feel he felt it was faster than a stock FGT.

He Said it felt quicker 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile but could not say about road course or top speed. He said in the 1/4 it should trap at around 130mph.
I'm anxious for knowledge before I order and this helps a little though don't know how dependable that info is.

eagles

Just order. This car will not dissappoint. I too saw that thread. Check my sig.:D

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
road course should be quicker considering with only 510 hp(lol) it was very evenly matched if not equal. remember when the '08 comes out the GT will have been out of production for nearly several years already

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I learned this weekend that two weeks ago the 08 Viper was tested on the VIR Grand Course. Evidently the car was not available for the magazines initial test, but it smoked the current C6 Z06 by over a second on the course. The grand course includes elements of the north, south, and full course at VIR and has several sections that do not lend themselves to high horse power cars.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd guess that the 08 Viper will trap at about 130 mph.

My 01 GTS (heads / cam / headers, etc) traps at about 130.

Dan

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Ford GT will always have a slight advantage in turning due to the mid engine mount and lighter weight. The Vipers only real positive in the turns is it has wider rear wheels that give it a slightly better lateral skid than the Ford GT.
Ford cheated they used a supercharger. Without the supercharger the Viper would be the faster car.
As for the 2008, with 600hp you will definately be faster in the straights but taking corners is going to be the same as the Gen III vipers.

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that Ford cheated by using forced induction. It was just a different design approach.

BMW and Porsche could both say that Dodge cheated by using an 8 Liter V10 as opposed to their 5 Liter V10's to create 500 and 600 hp cars. It is all in the design.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
supercharger is cheating, come on, no excuses...

BTW, the Ford GT was underrated, they are making close to 600HP stock:

Ford GT Dyno

I think it will be a very close run between the GT and 08 Viper....

The Ford GT will always have a slight advantage in turning due to the mid engine mount and lighter weight. The Vipers only real positive in the turns is it has wider rear wheels that give it a slightly better lateral skid than the Ford GT.
Ford cheated they used a supercharger. Without the supercharger the Viper would be the faster car.
As for the 2008, with 600hp you will definately be faster in the straights but taking corners is going to be the same as the Gen III vipers.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want to beat all the stockers, just add a supercharger to your Viper. End of competition!

Ted

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
and, or put another $65K in upgrades so their both $150k cars and then compare them.

I have never dragged an FGT, but I have a LOT of hot-laps in one, thanks to a generous local Ford dealer sponsor who provides me one for a PACE CAR ! The Ford is faster.

I have also done some Pace-N-Chase in my SRT-C whilst my (better driver) buddy drove the FGT. Short Version: FGT will out brake and out corner me, hands down, with ME driving it! More s with gary at the wheel. Our lap times are respectably close, due to my faster straighaway speeds....I can pull a car length on him...but he goes in deeper and gets me every lap.

The FGT is indeed a faster lapping car, stock-stock. For +65K it oughta be?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and, or put another $65K in upgrades so their both $150k cars and then compare them.

How about put enough money into the car to make it sellable for the same amount and not just cost the same amount, that should do away with the ricer excuses.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moot point IMO since you'd be hard pressed to find any of the 3-4000 FGT owners to do a few laps balls out with a Viper on their bumper.

Ford, you built a great car and I love it, but you really dropped the ball by planning its demise before the first one was even built.

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Moot point IMO since you'd be hard pressed to find any of the 3-4000 FGT owners to do a few laps balls out with a Viper on their bumper.

Ford, you built a great car and I love it, but you really dropped the ball by planning its demise before the first one was even built.

There is a guy with a yellow/black stripe FGT that runs pretty often at summit point. Essentially stock with a Borla exhaust. I only had the pleasure of being in the same run group one time and we were relatively even but never got close enough to make any real comparison.

Just like all the other comparisons, these are useless once you get to a certain level of car. At that time all that really matters is the driver's skill.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a guy with a yellow/black stripe FGT that runs pretty often at summit point. Essentially stock with a Borla exhaust. I only had the pleasure of being in the same run group one time and we were relatively even but never got close enough to make any real comparison.

Just like all the other comparisons, these are useless once you get to a certain level of car. At that time all that really matters is the driver's skill.

And who's willing to beat harder on their car.
I've always driven mine at about 85%-90% on track. I drive it there and need to drive it back home again.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you read the Road & Track Sept. '06 cover "World Superpowers" America vs. Europe it covered a test including C6 Z06, Ford GT, Viper SRT-10(vert) vs. Ferrari F430 F!, Lambo Gallardo, Porsche 911 TT on an FIA track in Europe.

Lap times as follows

F430........1:17.4 1st place
Gallardo....1:17.8 2nd place
911 TT.....1:20.0
Z06..........1:19.5 tie 3rd
SRT-10.....1:19.5 tie 3rd
F-GT........1:19.8

All very close. That was an SRT-10 with 90 less HP. I think that would have certianly pushed the viper up to a clear 3rd no problem and possibly into 1st or 2nd place.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So true. I've seen a race prepared VW Rabbit with an instructor level driver **** up Vipers at Gingerman. A skilled driver with a much lesser car can easily beat up on a less skilled Viper driver. Pushing the go pedal on the straights is only one small part of the exercise.

And who's willing to beat harder on their car.
I've always driven mine at about 85%-90% on track. I drive it there and need to drive it back home again.

That would be us. 500 mile drive to the track....500 miles to get home. I might even go with 80%. As long as you have fun, make your eyes big, heart pound a little, and finish with the shiny side up........you've had a successful day and done more with your car than 95% of Viper owners.

As for the 08 Viper.........it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a factory SC package waiting in the 09 wings for the Blue Devil.........or whatever else may come along.

Steve

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you read the Road & Track Sept. '06 cover "World Superpowers" America vs. Europe it covered a test including C6 Z06, Ford GT, Viper SRT-10(vert) vs. Ferrari F430 F!, Lambo Gallardo, Porsche 911 TT on an FIA track in Europe.

Lap times as follows

911 TT.....1:20.0
Z06..........1:19.5 tie 3rd
SRT-10.....1:19.5 tie 3rd
F-GT........1:19.8

All very close. That was an SRT-10 with 90 less HP. I think that would have certianly pushed the viper up to a clear 3rd no problem and possibly into 1st or 2nd place.

Not bad for a 2003 Dodge convertible;) :headbang:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you never see those times quoted over at the Vette forums.
Guess you just ignore the close real ones, and only use the Internet desk racing times.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score

...and those cost HOW much more?

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By experience I can tell you that stock to stock with two equal drivers, a 06 viper coupe will outrun a FGT from 20 to 130. We shut it down at 130 so the top end might be a different story. Both of us agreed it was a no fault, no edge race. The torque of the viper really shoots it ahead. So I would bet alot of money on the 08 viper running off and leaving the FGT stock vs stock

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

those arent actually any faster on equal tires, these numbers are from the infamous test were the italian cars were on corsas.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Better yet, wouldn't it be great if there was a road racing version of PINKS on the Speed Channel ... stock vs. stock, I'll bet none of the other, more expensive, makes would show up to put their registrations up against an '08 Viper.

I can almost see it now ... the 'Walk Away' music plays while the tearful Lambo owner watches the '08 Viper owner haul his car onto the back of a flatbed

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The '08 has PS2 tires, which corner far better than the '06s run flats. The '08 has a Quaff style rear end so it will accelerate far better out of the corner. What are you basing your cornering claims on?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang