09 first drive

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, after nearly two months of waiting, I finally got to drive my 09 coupe for the first time. Needless to say, the car did not disappoint. I noticed some differences right off the bat from driving my 05 convertible. First, the clutch seemed to grab much higher than the 05. Also, the throws from gear to gear seem much shorter (and I thought the 05 was good anyways). Keeping it under 4,000 RPM was def very hard because I wanted to punch it soooo bad it wasn’t even funny. On the highway I noticed the gas pedal seemed to have less of a range than the 05, but it could just be my imagination. The car seemed to ride a lot smoother as well. I do have the corsa exhaust on this car, and didn't on my 05. Boy what a difference. Not only do they look a lot better than the stock, but the sound is awesome. Not to louad, but a really good rumble. Perfect on the highway when cruising, and doesn't have a weak sound like the 05 did. It was a great driving experience to say the least, even though I never pushed the car, it was still fun. I really wanted to see the difference in torque, so will try to put on the miles as fast as I can to break it in. I would be interested in hearing anyone comments who has driven the gen 3 and gen 4, comparing the launch speed from a slow roll in first or second gear. That is what I am really looking forward to, nothing like the feeling of getting thrown back in your seat…

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Lou! Glad you were able to get your new gorgeous BEAST out!!! As one who had the '05 and now the '08...we can attest to the different clutch feel (you get used to it quick), quicker acceleration, smoother ride (PS2's this time, no runflats), launches quicker...but we're still breaking ours in also...tho to tell the truth, we do not baby the car. Haven't had it out yet this year, can't wait! SNOWING as I write this back to ya. :(
ENJOY!!! See you later this year....juli

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without being able to reach the "inside" cam, you are missing what will make you smile the most. Post again after your break in allows you to reach 4,000 rpm.:devgrin:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice! Enjoy the car. I could only imagine how hard it was not to drive the car for two months! That anticipation can do numbers on people. Hope to see you out this season!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice! Enjoy the car. I could only imagine how hard it was not to drive the car for two months! That anticipation can do numbers on people. Hope to see you out this season!!

TWO months??? Try almost FIVE months...first time ever we haven't been able to drive the car since beginning of November...worst winter in some time. Not speaking for Lou, but I know he hadn't driven his old one or this one for months either. Flurrying today as I write this...ugh...:crazy2:. Spring has sprung? Whereabouts? :dunno::dunno: Enjoy where you can! :drive::drive: ~juli

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my 09 about 2 months-I have had every Gen and still have an 06.

It is the best driving Viper I have had but can't tell the huge difference others have. I had to get used to the clutch--first Viper I have stalled. Still don't get the Nav--like t$ts on a bull.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have had all the gens and the 08-09 is the best overall,the 03-06 after 5000 rpms felt like it didnt have any more power but the 08 just keeps pulling.my 06 felt stronger at take off but 08 is far the best viper made and fastest,enjoy her in good health do your first oil change at about 500 miles.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an '06 which I traded on a new '08 on December 30th. Both Coupes

Pretty much everything you said I noticed as well - smoother ride, shorter shifts, less range with the gas pedal too.

I only managed to put 108 miles on my new '08 before I dropped it off at my local Dodge Dealer for State Inspection/Emissions, when the 'Viper tech' took it for a Road Test and Wrecked it!

Click here for Full Story if you care:
Dodge Dealer Wrecks My '08 - And They'll Be Getting Me a New One - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum

Anyway, not trying to HiJack. One thing I can tell ya is you are gonna l-o-v-e the feeling when you mash the gas! At about ~4,300rpms, it feels like you're pounding the bottle!:omg::D

Just be ready, because the rear end IS going to kick out sideways on you!:nana:

I can't wait to get my replacement '08/'09. Hopefully soon!

viperpalmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And don't forget the nice latch release to open the trunk!

It amazes me it took this long to get that simple but priceless addition. It is nice to not have to take the keys out of the ignition everytime to get into the trunk because when you press the button on the fob the pure weight of the trunk lid closes itself.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my 09 about 2 months-I have had every Gen and still have an 06.

It is the best driving Viper I have had but can't tell the huge difference others have. I had to get used to the clutch--first Viper I have stalled. Still don't get the Nav--like t$ts on a bull.
Ditto on everything said here. +1

08ACRVTEN00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree this car kicks ass at 4000 rpm. I installed the Bellengar system and controller and it really made a difference - it is a fast car.

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the car out for the second time two days ago. Pushed it a tad more this time. Second gear was pulling hard backed it off at 4000 rpm's, and was feeling like it was just getting going. Going to have a blast in this car :) Sorry to hear about the car wreck hamerhead, any news on when you will be getting another? One thing I did notice is the oil pressure has not gotting below 75 psi yet, my other ran round 50. Is this common on the 09's?

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the car out for the second time two days ago. Pushed it a tad more this time. Second gear was pulling hard backed it off at 4000 rpm's, and was feeling like it was just getting going. Going to have a blast in this car :) Sorry to hear about the car wreck hamerhead, any news on when you will be getting another? One thing I did notice is the oil pressure has not gotting below 75 psi yet, my other ran round 50. Is this common on the 09's?

I should have a check next week - Then I start shopping! (again:rolleyes:)

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I did notice is the oil pressure has not gotting below 75 psi yet, my other ran round 50. Is this common on the 09's?

Yes.

I have almost 700 miles on my '09. Wonderful car but the more I drive it the more I'm starting to really dislike the fly by wire throttle. If anyone ever comes out with a way to retrofit a cable on the Gen4's, I'll be the first in line to buy it.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking at an '06 but with the drop we are seeing in prices, I am considering an '08. Thanks for the comparisons from actual experience. One thing that you didn't mention is that the '08 is said to have solved much of the sill and cabin heating that Gen 3 cars have suffered from. Any comments.....

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 05 was a vert, which I only drove once with the top up. However, with my limited experience in the 09, I can tell you it def feels like there is less cabin heat. Granted it has not been over 55 either when I had it out and it was only two times so far, but from everything I have heard it is less of an issue. I can tell you that the driving experience is substantially different in favor of the 09.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed the gas pedal seemed to have less of a range than the 05, but it could just be my imagination.

Not your imagination. Drive by wire is the biggest disappointment on the new Vipers. If I changed one thing it would be to go back to the cable but with the government pigeonholing auto manufacturer's creativity and our freedoms going back to the cable is not likely. Regardless the Viper is still the truest car on the market. Enjoy.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but with the government pigeonholing auto manufacturer's creativity and our freedoms going back to the cable is not likely.

What is it that the government has done or mandated that has required this hideous system? I've been trying to find an answer but have been unsuccessful. Every answer I've found has been that the main advantage of throttle by wire is that it allows the engine computer to integrate torque management with cruise control, traction control and stability control. Viper has none of those. :confused:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not your imagination. Drive by wire is the biggest disappointment on the new Vipers. If I changed one thing it would be to go back to the cable but with the government pigeonholing auto manufacturer's creativity and our freedoms going back to the cable is not likely. Regardless the Viper is still the truest car on the market. Enjoy.

Chuck... thought you said you didnt feel a difference after driving one?

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an 06 Vert and now have an 08 ACR. I live in Florida and the cabin heat in the 06 was unbearable. It was my biggest complaint about the car. Even with the A/C running at maximum, it still would be hot inside. Thank goodness that issue has been resolved in the 08. No heat issues at all. I don't have to have the A/C on full blast either.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes.

I have almost 700 miles on my '09. Wonderful car but the more I drive it the more I'm starting to really dislike the fly by wire throttle. If anyone ever comes out with a way to retrofit a cable on the Gen4's, I'll be the first in line to buy it.

I have spoken to a few Gen IV owners and they all reiterate the same. Didn't Mopar come out with software to lessen this issue??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang