0w40 or 10w30?

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My oil cap says 10w30, but the viper tech said 0w40. Mobil1 oil is crap, so I was more inclined to do 10w30 since there is a wider selection of oils in that weight. I wouldn't mind using a heavier weight as the engine sure has a lot of valve noise and the heavier oil should help quiet that down.

I picked up the filter today - only $7. Amazing how cheap some of the parts are for this car. And to my surprise, you don't have to replace the drain plug/washer on each oil change. Not bad.

I'm going to do it tomorrow or this weekend and I'll take pics and write up a little how to when I'm done. Just incase anyone wants to see what's involved or the steps to change their oil themselves.

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crap huh, I would get another Tech if I were you. $7 you also got the WRONG filter...

The tech didn't tell me that, that is what I say from personal experience and from my oil tribologist who analyzes all of the oils in my car.

The oil filter listed for like $9.50 but apparently I was only charged $7. I'm sure it's the right filter, it's the same size.

- Anthony

Reaction score
There is a good reason that the oil was changed from 10-30 to the 0-40 Mobil 1, flow to the top of the engine on cold start when the motor needs it the most. Also the filter you SHOULD have is a 5037836AA just in case.

Sorry to come off as a ***** I read it wrong and ASSumed the Tech was of this opinion.

The tech didn't tell me that, that is what I say from personal experience and from my oil tribologist who analyzes all of the oils in my car.

The oil filter listed for like $9.50 but apparently I was only charged $7. I'm sure it's the right filter, it's the same size.

- Anthony

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

- Anthony

I choose my dates by their size, but am a little more picky than that on oil filters.

Any chance you can post the supporting data on your Mobil 1 analysis?

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I choose my dates by their size, but am a little more picky than that on oil filters.

If you guys want to give me the part number for the viper I will double check. But the parts guy looked it up in the system and that's the part number it gave him.

Any chance you can post the supporting data on your Mobil 1 analysis?

Mobil1 oils, especailly the 0w40 have a tendency to shear down to a 30 weight. I ran it for 4500 miles in my 2007 Audi RS 4 and it was pretty much shot in that time. It was all easy highway driving, too:

You must be registered for see images

The only Mobil1 oil that I use and is half decent anymore is their Mobil1 Racing 4T oil for the motorcycles.

I have a few more analysis' from other cars with Mobil1, but they aren't uploaded at the moment.

- Anthony

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a good reason that the oil was changed from 10-30 to the 0-40 Mobil 1, flow to the top of the engine on cold start when the motor needs it the most. Also the filter you SHOULD have is a 5037836AA just in case.

Thanks for the part number, I will double check.

If they want an easier pour when cold, they could have used a 5w40 as well, just mobil1 doesn't make one (other than for diesel truck applications which is a different detergent and additive pacakge). I wouldn't mind running some Lubro-Moly 5w40 in this engine, just I can't find it locally anymore.

Sorry to come off as a ***** I read it wrong and ASSumed the Tech was of this opinion.

No worries, I didn't think you came off as an ass. My post could have been written a bit clearer as well.

- Anthony

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mobil 1 10w30 is a pretty thin 30-weight anyways. At temperature, their 5w30 is actually a bit thicker. German Castrol (0w30) is thicker still.

According to the data, Mobil oils don't have anywhere near the shear resistance of some other full synthetics, such as Redline oils.

Does anyone know what sort of oil temperatures Vipers see when road raced? I'm wondering why SRT recommends running 15w50 on the track; does the 0w40 thin out too much at track temperatures? Do they feel the motor just needs greater shear resistance? Or something else?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of what oil you use, but if you have an extended warranty and you have an engine failure with the wrong oil, it will come back and bite you.

Bruce

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper oil temps at the track on days with temps in the upper 70s the oil temp reach 225 to to 230 with 0w-40. in the 08s with 600hp. Just my experance this year.

Reaction score
From my limited experience with the Audi RS4 they are horrible as far as oil temps at the track anyway and the turbo will always "cook" the oil before any N/A motor will. This is why it is so critical to change more often with turbo cars (oil cooking).

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark, I don't think the '07 RS4s have turbochargers? I believe you're thinking of the older V6 S4s.

Of course, that doesn't mean his oil temps didn't get way too high. 225-230F temps sound almost perfect.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The B7 RS 4 is all engine. 4.2l V8 with 420 hp and an 8250 RPM redline. It's an amazingly refined car. Oil temps stay around 210-220, so not bad at all.

I think I'll stick with the 10w30 and see how it goes...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
?? WHO ARE THESE GUYS ???

Some of use here bought a Viper when it did not have windows or AC, and the top was an afterthought. And you had to hang on with 2 hands or go ditch-surfing.

So when a newbeee comes here and pronounces that that factory-fill oil on most exotics in the world is CRAP, we are certainly gonna pay heed to Mr Newbee. Especially to his pal with a test kit, who ran 4500 miles between changes in his flipping AUDI ferchrissakes!?!

The highlight of your post was glee over saving $2 on the (wrong) filter and saving a washer?

Definition of a Viper Tech: Went to a dealer-paid 3-day school at least once in the past 16 years, and got a patch for ATTENDING (not passing mind, you, but ATTENDING) Not all VTs are created equal.

Sir, you also had the good fortune of a reply from one of the formost Viper Techs /Service Managers on the PLANET and you want to debate him w/ Audi Results? DIFFERENT PLANET PERHAPS?

We hope you are worthy..........the jury is deliberating!

Last edited:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jon,

Do you use Mobil or Castrol Syntec.......I don't know but for some crazy reason I've liked the Castrol better.....but maybe someone on this board has actual facts. I know the auto shows I watch talk Royal Purple all the time....maybe I'll try it too.

Regards,
Aaron

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jon,

Do you use Mobil or Castrol Syntec.......I don't know but for some crazy reason I've liked the Castrol better.....but maybe someone on this board has actual facts. I know the auto shows I watch talk Royal Purple all the time....maybe I'll try it too.

Regards, Aaron

I began with Castrol Syntec in 1993, beacause that was the oil of choice for Team Viper in their enduro testing at Nelson ledges with Gen 1. I was advise of this by none other than Herb Helbig hiz-self a few days after 1993 Indy 500.

Im not sure, but I believe MOBIL ONE may not have been a consumer oil in 1993, or maybe it was not avail 15-50, but Castrol GTX was and is. Full synthetic has been in jet engines since the 60s, developed for Jets.

I spoke to T.V.s Jim Royer (RIP) and then Charlie Brown III. They both confirmed the plan to switch to M1 in 1996 and why. They said DO use M1 or C-GTX, but not to interchange them due to questionable additve interaction unknowns. I use Castol OR M1 0-40 with confidence, and prefer M1.

FLOGoR Tom Hayden may chime in here, I hope so......he knows more about oil than ANYONE 'round these parts, (which is why he was dubbed FLOGoR moons ago....)

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I should take this time to respond to your post...

?? WHO ARE THESE GUYS ???

Some of use here bought a Viper when it did not have windows or AC, and the top was an afterthought. And you had to hang on with 2 hands or go ditch-surfing.

I can appreciate that you've been around here a long time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you know a lot about oil. ;)

So when a newbeee comes here and pronounces that that factory-fill oil on most exotics in the world is CRAP, we are certainly gonna pay heed to Mr Newbee. Especially to his pal with a test kit, who ran 4500 miles between changes in his flipping AUDI ferchrissakes!?!

I'm not sure why you are taking this tone, as my post was nothing but constructive. I may be a newbie to the Viper forum, but not to cars in general. I have had access to some of the most knowledgeable folks in the auto industry, and have researched a lot about oils as well.

Futhermore, that was my audi and that comment makes you sound rather ignorant. The 4.2l FSI V8 in the RS 4 is one of the greatest engines of our time. It is extremely technologically advanced, has direct fuel injection, and an 8300 RPM redline. Audi recommends a 10k OCI, and the oil was shot after 4500 miles. Yes, that engine is harder on oil than the Viper's engine is bound to be, but it says a lot about the durability of the oil.

The highlight of your post was glee over saving $2 on the (wrong) filter and saving a washer?

It was nice to see that although the car was expensive new, regular maintenance parts are rather inexpensive. This is my first american car, and I just found it interesting - that's all. I went and checked the filter they gave me, and it seems that they did infact give the wrong one. The part number I have is 05281090.

Definition of a Viper Tech: Went to a dealer-paid 3-day school at least once in the past 16 years, and got a patch for ATTENDING (not passing mind, you, but ATTENDING) Not all VTs are created equal.

Sir, you also had the good fortune of a reply from one of the formost Viper Techs /Service Managers on the PLANET and you want to debate him w/ Audi Results? DIFFERENT PLANET PERHAPS?

I don't see where I did this, or why you would think that. However, someone can be an amazing tech and not know very much about oil (not saying that is the case here).

One thing you may not know is that the factory fill oil in cars has little to do with how good the oil is, but rather who will present a better deal to the manufacturer. You'll find that most of the factory fill oils in cars are either mobil1 or castrol.

I am sampling the existing mobil1 oil that is in the car now when I change it. So that will give us some proof on how the oil has stood up.

My tribologist, who is one of the most respected names in the oil industry, said for off the shelf oils to use either Valvoline SynPower or Pennzoil Platinum. I picked up two 5 quart jugs of SynPower tonight in 10w30 and am planning on using that for the oil change.

Also, Mobil1 has cheapened their oils lately. They aren't using the same quality base stocks that they once used, and that's why the oils aren't sampling as well as they used to. I'm not saying it's going to ruin your motor if you use it (of course it won't), but for the price, there are many other oils that are a much better choice.

We hope you are worthy..........the jury is deliberating!

I don't know you, or think that I've spoken to you before, so I'll brush this off. However, I will say that as someone who has been here for a while and probably knows a lot about this car, you are setting a bad tone for the forum (which has otherwise been great so far).

I mean this all with the most respect, so please don't take it any other way.

Regards,

- Anthony

Last edited:

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Factory oil fill says 0w-40 Mobil 1 and that's what I use. :headbang: :2tu:
Factory filter says Viper on it and that's what I use. :drive:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do u guys purchase your 0w-40 mobil 1.. none of the stores around here stock it anymore...Anyone purchasing it on the web where the shipping is not to expensive and makes it worthwhile?

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do u guys purchase your 0w-40 mobil 1.. none of the stores around here stock it anymore...Anyone purchasing it on the web where the shipping is not to expensive and makes it worthwhile?

Do you not have Advance Auto Parts or NAPA in your area? Walmart is a great place for oil as it's a lot less expensive. Target has Mobil1 as well.

- Anthony

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two of the 5 qt. 10w30 Mobil One jugs in the garage waiting on my next oil change. Should I return them and go 0w40 shopping? (just for normal street cruising and your occasional run from the cops type driving)

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two of the 5 qt. 10w30 Mobil One jugs in the garage waiting on my next oil change. Should I return them and go 0w40 shopping? (just for normal street cruising and your occasional run from the cops type driving)

If you are going to use Mobil, I'd go with the 0w40 as it has better specs than Mobil1 10w30:

Mobil1 0w40:
cSt @ 40º C 78.3
cSt @ 100º C 14
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.2
Phosphorous 0.1
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.85
Total Base Number (TBN) 11.3
MRV at -40ºC 26242
Viscosity Index 186
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, ASTM D 4683 3.7

Mobil1 10w30:
cSt @ 40º C 62
cSt @ 100º C 10.0
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 147
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.14
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 224
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.86

Valvoline 10W-30:
Vis @ 100°C (cSt)
Vis @ 40°C (cSt)
Viscosity Index
Spec Gravity @ 60°F
Density(lbs/gal)
Total Base No.
Flash COC (°C)
Pour Point (°C)
CCS cP (°C)
4700@-25C
MRV TP-1 cP (°C)
13,700@-30C
NOACK, wt. % loss
Sulfated Ash
Zinc/Phosphorus, wt.%
0.085/0.076
Calcium

Last edited:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3 walmarts within 20 mins of me and none of em stock 0w-40 anymore... i'll try advance auto parts....thanks for the info

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
0-40 is really hard to find. You always see 10-30 at good pricing at Wallmart or Costco. I have to go to my local Kragens or Pep boys to get 0-40 and they dont carry a ton of it.

Also, Im no technical genius, but I think Mobil 1 is good oil and well liked by many. Saying that is factory fill because of some deal they worked with manufacturers is BS. If Dodge, BMW, Chevrolet, Mercedes,etc and others who use Mobil 1 wanted cheap oil, they would just use Chevron supreme. Im sure Mobil 1 gives manufacturers a great deal, but manufacturers have to know it will hold up during service intervals. I dont think the factory would put in a oil that would break down and cause engine failure, otherwise they could have engine warranty claims. The fact that many hi-end European cars use Mobil 1 says something about the company and its oil.