10k miles and clutch is about done?????? what the heck

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand where you both are coming from and (dave you win) I don't realize some times I'm not talking to buddies on Facebook where we talk "shortcut" so i appoligize ( and i can't spell thanks to my high school/ grade schooling lol) but before this thread gets jacked to hard do they even make aftermarket clutch's / flywheels for the gen 4's?

I know what you're saying, but that one long paragraph was tough. ;)

Anyway, a few thoughts on aftermarket or stock or whatever clutches.

-> Many say the stock clutch is fine for many many miles. Factors that can influence those results are driving style, mods, etc.

-> You can burn up any clutch quickly with driving style.

-> The tougher the clutch, the stronger your other parts better be. I had a car with a ceramic puck disk and the hookup was phenomenal. So was the expense of replacing final drive components...

Whatever clutch you pick I would look at your driving style just to see if it was or was not you that burned it up. And think about the driving style of what you new clutch might be too. The ceramic disk I used sucked in traffic. No slip, just hook up. Shake or go.

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ahh its all good or tis good if you k w imean lol

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease...

Take a freaking ENGLISH AND GRAMMAR CLASS!!!

I can't find "Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease" anywhere in my dictionary.

Im sorry for not speaking correctly. But I have a simple solution. DON'T READ IT IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. I don't understand? I asked how to tell if a clutch is shot, and or where to get one. My answer (from most) your driving, take english class, take grammar class. I figured that people with a passion for cars would help one another not lecture on ones english and spelling skills.

There, nemo, I lectured dave6666 on his english and spelling skills for you.

Dave, you gotta admit, that was real difficult to read, even though it was only one word.

Bob

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lol I had no problem with it. Guess its the whole age difference. But I do thank you for telling him off. and yet again does any one know or have any ideas on going aftermarket clutch. Also I was thinking about doing a lightweight flywheel if any one has ideas on this as well. Thank you in advance.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so like it says my 08 gts blue viper has 10k miles on it and the clutch feels like its gone and its not a i think its the fluid its i can put it in 6th at 40 and put the lead down and it jumps rpms like an automatic. (had an 88 mr2 that the clutch was shot) same feeling???????? help please im a newb to this high hp stuff lol i don't smoke my clutch either ( well i drag it) but its not a clutch out if that makes since. if its a line issue thats fine if not where do i get annother? help thx in advance
Nemo, I have 11K on my car. I noticed that my clutch pedal was getting a bit sluggish. This weekend I changed fluid to ATE super blue and pedal feels much firmer now.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good lord! is the clutch slippin or what?if ur rpm,s are going like a bat out of hell,and the car aint getn any faster, bingo your the winner of a new clutch job!

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good lord! is the clutch slippin or what?if ur rpm,s are going like a bat out of hell,and the car aint getn any faster, bingo your the winner of a new clutch job![/QUOTE

Ya thanks lol. I went to the dealer today and ordered a new clutch, slave cylinder, and flywheel. It was a bad clutch but I talked to Mark J at Woodhouse and he said even if i was burning the hell outa the clutch it shouldn't be going out this soon. so when they take it out im going to look at every thing along with the mechanics to see if there is an alignment issue that is causing a premature burn out of the clutch.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the guy asks for help on his clutch and the great glitterati correct his grammar? Super forum:(

You have to remember, this is VCA where only certain people can get away with this crap. :dunno: Call it a double standard... I call it, no more VCA renewal after my Freebie runs out. :rolaugh:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the guy asks for help on his clutch and the great glitterati correct his grammar? Super forum:(

Oh, please. That kind of response is not the norm; his post was unusually grammatically challenged. It deserved the responses. As far as being a young, IM'ing, facebooking, internet pro with all the shortcuts--if that's the case, how come he hasn't mastered the search function? There's only about a thousand posts on replacement clutches. But despite having been answered numerous times, he keeps asking the same questions.

So I'll say it again: the stock clutch is good for up to 100k miles depending on how you drive. But if the only car you ever drove before this is a POS, and you don't know how to use a clutch, it might go out at 10k miles. Or, maybe the guy who sold it to the dealer lied about how he used it. Wouldn't be the first time. Or maybe the dealer has been abusing the car since they had it. Whatever, replace the clutch with a clutch suitable to your driving. Or learn to use the stock clutch, which serves most people well.

And, yes, there are lightweight flywheels available. Search function! Or, if that's too much trouble, read my signature. At least it answers the questions are there any aftermarket flywheels available, even if there is no other immediate information.

Or, he could just ask again.

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
and wrong you are. I called woodhouse today and they said there isn't any clutches/ flywheels for gen4 yet..... saying that for 2700 you can buy a triple disk carbon clutch. and the stock clutch/flywheel is lighter than the gen 3 spec 2 clutch/alum flywheel. correct me if i am wrong which i probally will be. but there is a difference between the gen 3 and gen 4 tranny.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and wrong you are. I called woodhouse today and they said there isn't any clutches/ flywheels for gen4 yet..... saying that for 2700 you can buy a triple disk carbon clutch. and the stock clutch/flywheel is lighter than the gen 3 spec 2 clutch/alum flywheel. correct me if i am wrong which i probally will be. but there is a difference between the gen 3 and gen 4 tranny.

Good one, nemo. You told him off. No one here will try to argue with Woodhouse.

Now what you should do is join VCA. You will be assured of much more grammar insults and spelling ridicule.

At least get yourself switched from enthusiast to viper owner.

Bob

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad you are doing some research. My post was in general terms regarding Vipers and availability of aftermarket parts, search function, etc. As you can see in my sig, I have a 2001. Still, asked and answered. You should stick with the stock clutch and flywheel. If you burned out a clutch in 10k, a high performance version will not save you money or aggravation of any kind. Good luck.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moral of story 1: Dave usually wins matches of wit or logic.

Pretty much what happens, I've seen it with my own eyes. :D

Nemo, I have a 08 GTS Blue Viper and mine has 14,500 miles on the original clutch, but I don't ever "hard-launch" my car (lots of slipping to get off the line the fastest). No issues on the clutch slipping, but I do hear a little metal noise if I feed the clutch too fast, and that's happened ever since I bought the car.

Mark J said a replacement clutch for an 08 was $371, maybe the $1,000 cost is for the slave cylinder, flywheel, clutch that nemo ordered?

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty much what happens, I've seen it with my own eyes. :D

Nemo, I have a 08 GTS Blue Viper and mine has 14,500 miles on the original clutch, but I don't ever "hard-launch" my car (lots of slipping to get off the line the fastest). No issues on the clutch slipping, but I do hear a little metal noise if I feed the clutch too fast, and that's happened ever since I bought the car.

Mark J said a replacement clutch for an 08 was $371, maybe the $1,000 cost is for the slave cylinder, flywheel, clutch that nemo ordered?

correct I am getting a clutch, slave cylinder, flywheel, and possibly a royal purple oil change and filter plus install for around $1,000 I would be willing to bet a little less than that. And I'm going to say this and get hammered but I am going to take the blame for the clutch being gone. I don't want to say it and still don't think its me but I will go along with the government and be guilty until proven innocent. ( there you go opened up a can of worms to keep this thread going lol) when we take the clutch out we are going to inspect throughly to see if there is something causing premature wear.

thx again
nemo

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've owned 3 different Vipers. Each one needed a clutch after 10-15k miles. Course we got a lot of people who dont know how to use a clutch correctly even with a orientation. I get all OEM parts installed for $800. Dont forget the locktight on all of the pressure plate bolts or they will walk themselves out and you'll be crying 2k miles later...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And the warranty???????????????????????????????????????????

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have to remember, this is VCA where only certain people can get away with this crap. :dunno: Call it a double standard... I call it, no more VCA renewal after my Freebie runs out. :rolaugh:

Unfortunately the VCA isn't everybodies idea of perfection. And, there are no personality requirements for membership. The Forums weren't created for complaining, but for help and information dealing with Vipers. Nemo got his answers as well as grammar lessons. Such is life.

You could always join ViperAlley.Com - Dodge Viper Forum (sarcasm)

Ted

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately the VCA isn't everybodies idea of perfection. And, there are no personality requirements for membership. The Forums weren't created for complaining, but for help and information dealing with Vipers. Nemo got his answers as well as grammar lessons. Such is life.

You could always join ViperAlley.Com - Dodge Viper Forum (sarcasm)

Ted

I am in a win win situation. I speek gud now and i no stuff about my purdy car. i aint got no more problems that need fixin. thx fellers. lol

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lol I don't know what's funnier. The fact that you quote me on my spelling or your so board that you have little emotes for every thing. Cracks me up. and yes I am saying you are smart fellers. lol this forum is a love hate forum. I will let you guys figure out what I love and hate lol. and its not dave.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang