11's stock- what's needed (help)

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11\'s stock- what\'s needed (help)

Hello everyone.

I have a big goal to run 11's in a 00 STOCK GTS(filter and all).
Last summer I ran my best so far. It was pretty humid, and in the high 80*'s at least....

12.1 ET
117.3 MPH
1.98 60'

It's winter now, I want to go to moroso next week when it's in the 60*'s hopfully.

My question is, it doesn't seem too far off from 11's, but is it really further than I think? Will the cooler weather drop .10 at least? What 60' would guarantee 11's with the same run? I know my 60' before wasn't "crazy". I don't think I can get anymore ET drop from shifting (without slicks anyways) So I assume it's just going to be getting off the line.

Advice? Thanks guys

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 11\'s stock- what\'s needed (help)

With a 1.5 sixty you will be low elevens. With most cars that is where all the time made or lost. It is shocking you are in the low 12's with a 2 second sixty. Very simple, MT ET's, 4500 rpm and hold on, I forgot, practice. Consistent sixties in the 1.5-1.6 range are where you want to be.

OP
OP
S

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was hoping to do it without MT's. I know that wouldn't be too hard. I just want bragging rights of running 11's in a stock GTS. I just need a solid 1.8 I think to do it. We'll see.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your numbers were the same as my best, right down to an identical 60' time.

I'm not in a hurry to get back to the track and hit that 11, but if I did, I would be going for 12.0 something, or trying just to hit 12.1 again (only did it once that day).

I think I need to shoot for consistency more than "the number", and then "the number" will take care of itself.

I got my best number after lowering my rears to 20psi. Don't know if that's directly connected or not, because I also got my worst after that.

Good luck!

OP
OP
S

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude, I just wrote on the forum you started, lol.

Yeah our times are almost identical. It was pretty hot and humid in the summer when I ran that too. So I'm pretty sure now 11's shouldn't be a mirical.

The tire pressure you said IS connected. I couldn't run better than 12.5 no matter WHAT I did. I checked the air, but I didn't think it would really matter. It was 42 psi "yikes". So I lowered it to 22psi, the very next run is when it happened. So it's very important.

Keep me posted on what you run.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jack B--

Har--You've been high-horsepower so long, you've forgotten that a 1.5 60' is impossible in a stock viper!

supergrin.gif

C-ya!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steel - I used to get 60's just like yours: consistent 1.98 - 2.06. On Doug Levin's advice, I installed a line lock and tried doing a 4-6 sec burnout (enough to get smoke) on the stock tires. Voila! 1.8s on stock tires, with more to come after some practice.

You're close enough with that 12.1 that a low 1.8 60' would get you into the 11s. I'd recommend either practicing your two-foot burnout technique, or getting a line lock installed. You should then be there...

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ben --

Do you use the line lock at the staging tree as well as for burnouts? If so, what technique have you used and do you feel it made a difference? I installed a line lock last fall but have had almost no chance to try it out due to the weather up here (4 inches of new snow last night, added to the two inches yesterday, added to the four inches on Tuesday...), so I'm really itching to see how things go this spring.

thanks

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Toddt:

A lot of almost stock vipers are doing 1.5 60's with MT ET's. Paul Sulof did a 1.39 60 at Beech Bend during a time trial. Tom Welch's video is kind of interesting. He does back-to-back runs, with/without nitrous, there is hardly any difference in the 60's. When we ran at Norwalk last September there was a stock 2000 with street tires getting consistent 1.7's

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i have another question, a potential hi-jack, after you are through with your run, how long should you wait before your next run?

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Launch is critical. Check out my in-car video of an 11.852 I ran in my bone stock 2000 ACR. Slight bog off the line and just a hint of wheel spin.

Jeff, would you mind describing how you left the line. What rpm and how much tire pressure?

It also seemed you shifted into 4th alot earlier than I do.
What are your shift points?

Very cool videu.

John

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I left the line at about 1200 rpm. Once the car started rolling I took it to the floor. I ran it up to 6000 at each shift. I have stock 3.07 gears and always go into 4th. On some runs it's very close, but I have never stayed in 3rd. Some people have said to shift at 5400 or 5500. I've tried it, but my Viper seems to like 6000. It pulls hard all the way through. I have stock Pilots and usually run 35lbs in the front and 23lbs in the back.

I probably ran a dozen low 12s before I broke 11's, but this is the first and only car I've run in the 1/4 mile. Although last Sunday I did run John Myricks 03 SRT-10 down the track for an 11.99. I only made 3 passes with his SRT-10. Thats the only 2 cars I've ever run in the 1/4. Practice. Your best chance is on a cool night.

Jeff

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jeff, How long a burn out did you do on those runs?? Smoke, or just a cleaning?? Thanks, nice runs.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great runs Jeff, I have them on file from a previous post, that I'd let you know you have to be in the top 5% of stock/near stock Viper drivers for times!

Nice work, 12.1 here, ughhhh......

(on bald 6 year old MXX3 I guess is the excuse I'll muster, haha)

Kumhos go on tomorrow, looking forward to it....