12 Years Old and 70K sMiles

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My little red RT/10 rolled off the assembly line 12 years ago in August 1993. Just hit 70K miles this August. Damn thing still looks good and runs better than ever. Great paint job on these cars.

Would post some pics, but don't know how.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a 1993 as well, only 23k miles though..

Just curious how its held up through the 70k miles? any repairs or anything?

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, email me the pics, i'll post them for you..

i have a '94 w/ 73K now. Still looks great.

Random people (who aren't familiar w/ the current body style) still ask me if it's brand new

of course i tell them it is :D

6061parkpic1.JPG

OP
OP
George Farris

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It has had its share of new parts over the years. However, nothing in past 4 years. Having lived in a few different locations, the Viper Techs took great care of the car. A zero deductible, 50K mile warranty didn't hurt.

Major items have been the rear about 4 years ago and the motor got re-built by Arrow at 50K miles via some miscommunications...will not elaborate.

Paint is unreal....just keep it clean with water/alcohol mixture and hit it with Mopar swirl make remover 1 - 2 times a year.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-------------------

Would post some pics, but don't know how.

-------------------

Hey George - Email them to me, I'll get them up there for you!

OP
OP
George Farris

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
GotAViper,

Jerry's Dodge in Springfield is great. They did a super job with my car for several years.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GotAViper,

Jerry's Dodge in Springfield is great. They did a super job with my car for several years.

Hey thanks for the referal. Ill keep that in mind, springfield is not that far.
I was just asking if you've had any problems so I know what to look forward to. I have seen alot of posts saying their vipers have been rebuilt by arrow? not sure what that is or means?

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint is unreal....just keep it clean with water/alcohol mixture and hit it with Mopar swirl make remover 1 - 2 times a year.

"water/alcohol" mixture?? I assume you mean "water" for the car and "alcohol" for you. :confused:

Also, what happened to your center console?

Mark

OP
OP
George Farris

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
That is a carbon fiber overlay...didn't show up that well...but it gets lots of good comments.

Also, notice the starter button... from a 1998 Bentley Contential GT.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tim, Love your car above, I'll own one some day. I'd also have the 5 spoke wheels rather than those 3 spoke jobs and don't get me started on those soft tops. I'd just keep the top off the car at all times. Of course the premadonna that spends hours on her hair would never step foot in it which is cool. But out of curiosity, didn't a lot of the Gen 1 cars have paint problems? Crazing, cracking, etc or am I thinking of something else?

95RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 95 with about four stress crack on the hood. Any idea what the best thing to do is or nothing at all?

water/alcohol? What about wax?

OP
OP
George Farris

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Most of those cracks were due to too much Bondo (filler) being used on the hoods to fill in imperfections. After a few years, with all the heat, they eventually would "spider-web."

Later hoods did not have that problem as the company used a higher pressure machine to form the hoods (DCX helped them greatly to up-grade their equipment).

There was a limit on how much filler was to be used, but that limit was exceeded on occasion.

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1993 here also. 63k on the clock. The paint looks as good as my 2000c5 with 18k on the clock. The car is solid as a rock and I too get asked is it new.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Viper there George! We all miss our ex pres. and our NM founder! You need to move back!!!

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, your car looks great. Can you elaborate more on that water/alcohol car wash technique? I wish I can agree with you, but Vipers paint job *****. :D

OP
OP
George Farris

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Went on a tour of the ASC plant a few years ago. They are the folks who paint the Viper body panels. Someone in the group asked what wax they recommend...they said they didn't wax their cars. The best thing to do was keep car clean of dirt and grime. Best way to do that was to wash car with 50/50 mix of alcohol and water.Therefore, that's what I do.

As stated earlier, I do hit it with Mopar swirl mark remover 1-2 times per year. Usually wash car with soap and water then go over it again with alcohol/water combo. You can see it cleaning the paint. Car does have nice shine after this treatment. Get asked what kind of wax I use all the time.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I's and Gen IIs will never look old. Especially with the classic colors, Red RT/10 and Blue/White GTS.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
George Farris

I got pics of the ASC plant. Look in my gallery. Got these pics from a member from Viper Alley.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went on a tour of the ASC plant a few years ago. They are the folks who paint the Viper body panels. Someone in the group asked what wax they recommend...they said they didn't wax their cars. The best thing to do was keep car clean of dirt and grime. Best way to do that was to wash car with 50/50 mix of alcohol and water.Therefore, that's what I do.

As stated earlier, I do hit it with Mopar swirl mark remover 1-2 times per year. Usually wash car with soap and water then go over it again with alcohol/water combo. You can see it cleaning the paint. Car does have nice shine after this treatment. Get asked what kind of wax I use all the time.

Interesting. I have (along with a lot of other people) wasted a LOT of time if this gives a shine similar to the typical methods. To be honest, though, I can't imagine it does. Before detailing my car I make sure the paint is clean by doing the water/alcohol mix cleaning and then follow up with the clay bar. It is smooth and looks good, but once I hit it with the full detailing treatment it is on another level. I will conceed, though, I only do the alcohol/water treatment before a full detail to remove any old wax or contaminants.

I would at least do yourself this favor. Go to your local top-notch detailing shop and let them hit a small area with a cleaning/polishing agent and a ROTARY buffer. If you see no difference, you pay nothing. If the red paint pops to life, spend the $100 and let them detail the exterior. I would be really interested to hear about the results.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I have (along with a lot of other people) wasted a LOT of time if this gives a shine similar to the typical methods. To be honest, though, I can't imagine it does.
I have sure wasted a lot of money and time if this is the case, but I am highly skeptical. Especially on Pinnacle Souveregn (sp?) wax at $65.00 a jar.. :)

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George: It's great to see that car again. I guess it's been 5 years or more. You put a strut in my green 95. I drove the 95 almost 50,000 miles, and have driven my 00 24,000. Both have been great. I would have gotten a Gen 3 if I could stand the looks. Instead I bought an 05 C6 Vette as a daily driver--great car, but not a Viper. Maybe I'll get the new coupe. Glad to hear you are still driving it. All is well back here in Va. TERRY BAGLEY

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, Love your car above, I'll own one some day. I'd also have the 5 spoke wheels rather than those 3 spoke jobs and don't get me started on those soft tops. I'd just keep the top off the car at all times. Of course the premadonna that spends hours on her hair would never step foot in it which is cool. But out of curiosity, didn't a lot of the Gen 1 cars have paint problems? Crazing, cracking, etc or am I thinking of something else?

Thanks Gerald. I've never had serious paint problems, but I do have a few stress cracks here and there which show in the paint.

Fortunately, with the stock cats out, my sills dont bubble up like a lot of others.

OP
OP
George Farris

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Terry,

Good to hear from you - glad you are doing well. I do remember your car. Will be looking at the Coupe, also. The SRTs have grown on me and I especially like driving them.

Have considered selling the red car many times...always chicken out.

grkss400hp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heheh we've got a '94 rt/10 with 3,006 miles..... still looks new 11 yrs later