18k - too many miles?

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owner from Roanoke told me my 06 Viper has "too many miles" with 18k on the clock while trying to inquire about a TA (using my Viper as a trade in). "Not interested in a car with high mileage and multiple owners". Just over 2k miles a year is a lot nowadays? Hmm... :dunno:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does not really make sense on a Viper, as the miles do not really affect the ride much, however for most exotics everybody wants a "low miles, one owner" car. They fetch a premium.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gives a **** about what a dealer thinks, sell privately at least you will get all the money. You always get the short end of the stick when you trade.
I am a dealer myself and bought my gts
privately, it had 6 owners clean history checked out good. I didn't over pay and did not under pay. So no big deal 18k miles. You bought it to drive right not to display in museum, right?
Oh it had 23k miles, it has now 34k miles 2 years later. I keep my personal cars for a long time....

Last edited:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Wait... Roanoke Dodge didnt want your car... on trade? I gotta
say thats a first for me. I dont doubt it didnt happen, especially
in this market, I just find it surprising.

I have to agree with Dennis, sell privately and walk in with
cash - you'd probably do better in the end since its unlikely
theyd deal down on a TA. Theres also another post here
somewhere about Woodhouse just taking delivery on 4 TAs
- they may be more willing to deal as well.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An 06 with 18k is too high??? I don't get it. Like others said, sell it outright and then go buy what you want. And if I were you when you get the new one drive the crap out of it, that's what they are for! I just never understood buying a new car and not putting miles on it.

St.Char

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wait... Roanoke Dodge didnt want your car... on trade? I gotta
say thats a first for me. I dont doubt it didnt happen, especially
in this market, I just find it surprising.

I have to agree with Dennis, sell privately and walk in with
cash - you'd probably do better in the end
since its unlikely
theyd deal down on a TA. Theres also another post here
somewhere about Woodhouse just taking delivery on 4 TAs
- they may be more willing to deal as well.

True...however, the OP may be wanting to avoid paying sales tax on the FULL purchase price.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True...however, the OP may be wanting to avoid paying sales tax on the FULL purchase price.

Some states you can get sales tax credit back. I know Missouri does it, but KS doesn't allow you to get sales tax credit if you sell privately. Only if you trade in. Sometimes that's a huge incentive to trade into a dealer.

So I'd say it varies from state to state.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't consider 18K miles a lot, on any car. Especially a car like the Viper, which is built just short of a military tank. These cars would likely live 200,000 hard miles, they are stout cars.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was looking to trade In my 2010 ACR I got a ludicrously low figure from a big name dealer mentioned here, with the comment they didn't want older generations "clogging up the lot". It had all of 4600 miles on it.
Ended up trading it in for much more to a Lambo dealer (go figure).
Guess they figured the Gen V would be flying off the lot and didn't want to deal with "old" cars.
Last laugh, mine.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess my 03 with 31,000 and 3 owners is little better than a Corolla. As for Nick, he HAS been trying to sell the 06 for months. So, he's between a rock and a hard place.

Nick, give Bernie Katz a call. Might be able to work something out.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I guess my 03 with 31,000 and 3 owners is little better than a Corolla. As for Nick, he HAS been trying to sell the 06 for months. So, he's between a rock and a hard place.

Nick, give Bernie Katz a call. Might be able to work something out.

I guess that makes my 04 with 64k worth about a nickel... Oh well, I don't plan to sell it any time soon.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at his used Viper Inventory on line it appears as though his aim is 1000 miles per year or less.

This ^^^^^^ . The guy is marketing to the "gotta have a low mile Viper = <10k mile" crowd. They pay premium money; so, it is a valid business plan.

Owner from Roanoke told me my 06 Viper has "too many miles" with 18k on the clock while trying to inquire about a TA (using my Viper as a trade in). "Not interested in a car with high mileage and multiple owners". Just over 2k miles a year is a lot nowadays? Hmm... :dunno:

Did he say that he would not take it as a trade in or that he was not interested in it for his own inventory? He may have said that he was not interested because he knew you would be insulted if he offered you what he would get if he sold it to a wholesaler for auction.

OP
OP
S

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I live in NY, I was trying to save sales tax by trading the vehicle in. I've been selling it for a few months through word of mouth to see if someone I'm familiar with would like to purchase the car but recently put it on Autotrader.com as it wasn't working out.

Listed it for $56,900 as is, what do you guys think? Too high for a bumblebee 06 with tasteful modifications?

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the bees. Depending in the mods and the condition of the paint, I think it's a good starting point.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car Is perfect too, good buy for someone.
Babied and well take care of.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I live in NY, I was trying to save sales tax by trading the vehicle in. I've been selling it for a few months through word of mouth to see if someone I'm familiar with would like to purchase the car but recently put it on Autotrader.com as it wasn't working out.

Listed it for $56,900 as is, what do you guys think? Too high for a bumblebee 06 with tasteful modifications?

Find a good dealer that is willing to do an in-and-out deal for you. You locate a buyer and have them purchase it through the dealership that has the car you want to trade for. That also helps the buyer, as some banks offer a lower finance rate when purchasing from a dealer vs individual. Then you'll still get your tax credit with that dealership.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that dealer was selling your viper they would have it advertised at "super lo miles"

I have gone threw the same crap before, I had a 8 yr old lotus once that a dealer told me was "way too many miles" it had just under 8,000 miles on it, so they would only offer me $10,000 under book trade in value.

Last edited:

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I guess I won't bother trying to trade in my '05 with 22k on to them. If your car was black we'd be talking, it's nice but I don't think I want yellow. GLWS.

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im surprised when I was looking most dealers had cars at about that mileage. You did some really nice upgrades but the problem is on resale they don't add anything. I would place an autotrader ad and see what type of offers you run into. Try even to find a local dealer that can run the car through there books for a small fee. I had a small dealer that was willing to take my car in and run one I found privately through there books to save on some tax. I wound up selling the car private but ask around.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem You have too many miles & i don't have enough with Vipers registering only under 1kMiles

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
18K miles on a Viper too many? Hilarious. The whole low miles thing is WAY out of control on any type of exotic car... but, NEWSFLASH: The Viper doesnt break down every 500 miles like many exotics do, or require an overhaul every 15K.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some states you can get sales tax credit back. I know Missouri does it, but KS doesn't allow you to get sales tax credit if you sell privately. Only if you trade in. Sometimes that's a huge incentive to trade into a dealer.

So I'd say it varies from state to state.

Arkansas allows you to deduct sales tax on the new one if you sell or trade a vehicle in within 45 days of purchasing the new vehicle. Saved me quite a bit of
money when we purchased the last car.

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you do. :D
Admittedly I've never seen a yellow viper in person. If I had the cash I'd come see it to satisfy that curiosity and meet. With Roanoke off the list as a viable trade in dealer, I'll be checking other trusted viper dealer sights to trade in or I'll sell privately in spring.

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of trading my 06 for a Gen V too, but after this and coming from a dealer like roanoke, i might as well keep my 06 with ....aarrgghh 40k miles!!!!, which i guess is worth less than a new fiat 500.