1992-2002 Dodge ViperSide Sill Vents...are they worth the $$?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen these on sites before, and just came across them tonight. I was wondering if they really do work well and worth the money? --> SpeedTactics Dodge Viper Gills

I also saw this on Roe Racing's website --> Side Sill Insulation Kit - Clamps, Gaskets and Thermal Wrap - Roe Racing
Do these actually work pretty well in cooling the side sills? My paint is kinda bubbled on my sills and I plan on getting them painted next year. I kinda hope after they are painted I won't have to worry about getting them painted again if I can help it.

**I currently have Random Tech High-flow cats, and plan on getting American Racing High-flow cats to go with my new headers. Not sure how much either of these cats make in difference of cooling over the stockers, but just looking for added pertection!

Last edited:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just carefully and systematically drilled small holes into the existing plate that is there. Not sure if that is fas paux but I dont really care.

Cost 0$

:usa:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just carefully and systematically drilled small holes into the existing plate that is there. Not sure if that is fas paux but I dont really care.

Cost 0$

hey RZ, did it make a noticeable difference around town, on the freeway :dunno:

:drive:

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cost 0$

I'm sure that must help, but I could never drill any holes in my car... whether they were noticable or not or even helped in any way. However, I have no problem modding the car tho :2tu:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are significant openings where the exhaust enters the sill and a significant openings where the exhaust exits the sill. Without question there is a pressure differential between both openings therefore as long as you allow airflow around the cat, (by ensuring any insulation does not contact the cat casing) you've done all you can. In my opinion, more holes are superfluous.

I verified my theory using temperature probes at various speeds and while idling. As long as you have movement and unblocked sills, sill temps dropped instantly with motion. At idle, temps rose to a peak. Adding holes in the leading edge of the sill would contribute nothing at idle and little if any benefit while in motion.

Insulation that plugs the airflow entirely like Sean's wrap A) only delays the heat build up, not prevent it and B) adds to the moisture induced corrosion issues that are most likely the real cause of your paint bubbling.

It appears that you have an '96 or '97, both of which came with the OEM fiber backed foil sill insulation. This insulation absorbs rain and car wash water then steams it into the inner sills causing the aluminum sill to corrode and the paint to bubble. Dodge replaced many early GENII sills due to corrosion and used an improved foil backed insulation to eliminate the issue. They also used the updated insulation in later GENII production.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron, thanks for the info. I guess I won't consider getting that Thermal Wrap or the Side Sill Vents if they won't truly help cool the Sills. I do have a 96 GTS tho..So since it appears I have the OEM fiber backed foil sill insulation, does that mean I'm kinda screwed with the paint bubbling? Would I basically have to replace both Sills with new improved foil backed insulation ones that Dodge replaced all the early GEN II Sills with? Like I said, I plan on getting them repainted next year, just wasn't sure if getting the side sills repainted was something I will always have to do every 3-5+ years because of the stock Sills I have.

There are significant openings where the exhaust enters the sill and a significant openings where the exhaust exits the sill. Without question there is a pressure differential between both openings therefore as long as you allow airflow around the cat, (by ensuring any insulation does not contact the cat casing) you've done all you can. In my opinion, more holes are superfluous.

I verified my theory using temperature probes at various speeds and while idling. As long as you have movement and unblocked sills, sill temps dropped instantly with motion. At idle, temps rose to a peak. Adding holes in the leading edge of the sill would contribute nothing at idle and little if any benefit while in motion.

Insulation that plugs the airflow entirely like Sean's wrap A) only delays the heat build up, not prevent it and B) adds to the moisture induced corrosion issues that are most likely the real cause of your paint bubbling.

It appears that you have an '96 or '97, both of which came with the OEM fiber backed foil sill insulation. This insulation absorbs rain and car wash water then steams it into the inner sills causing the aluminum sill to corrode and the paint to bubble. Dodge replaced many early GENII sills due to corrosion and used an improved foil backed insulation to eliminate the issue. They also used the updated insulation in later GENII production.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be able to get in there and remove that old insulation. Maybe, you can find some more modern foil insulation and get the right amount that will fit in there.

Take the old out, measure it and find a sheet somewhere to replace it. Another thing about those gills is added drag.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DON"T USE THE INSULATION WRAP ON YOUR EXHAUST.
Not only does it hold the heat in longer (the opposite of it's intended purpose) but it also holds the moisture in as well helping to rot out the cats/exhaust faster.

I had to have my Roe Hi Flo cats all rewelded in multiple spots less than 18 months thanks to the side sill insulation causing them to degrade in that short time.

They sills need air flow, not blockage. See Dave666 sills and others. Increase the air flow.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cost 0$

I did the same. I've seen side sill vents range in cost from $129 - $200 :omg:. Don't think so.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only does it hold the heat in longer (the opposite of it's intended purpose) but it also holds the moisture in as well helping to rot out the cats/exhaust faster.

I had to have my Roe Hi Flo cats all rewelded in multiple spots less than 18 months thanks to the side sill insulation causing them to degrade in that short time.

They sills need air flow, not blockage. See Dave666 sills and others. Increase the air flow.

Thanks Jon, you're the second person to suggest Dave's setup, I'll have to ask him what he did. :2tu:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent info Ron, thanks for posting. I had the same experience without the scientific measurement. Took the entire front bit off and there was indeed not alot of variation. My temp probe was my palm which isn't well calibrated, I believe your results though.

Have you (original poster) considered going catless? Its a bit more of a struggle during annual inspections but it totally eliminates the hot spots in the sills (in my experience anyway). You have a 96 so OBDII would work well for you in a catless situation.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those grills do look nice once installed, but if they don't add much to air flow, then why bother. Also, I'm not in favor of cutting anything original so, for me, wouldn't be interested.

Also, I thought moving to hi-flow cats reduced the heat buildup in the side sills.

I have not seen Dave's mod, is there a link to his thread?

Thanks.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter, PM Dave6666 for his side sill mod details. That would be the ideal way to go. Yes, HF cats do help lower side sill temps. I no longer burn my leg on the side sill since having HF cats on for the last 4 years. My suggestion is to first install the HF cats, gauge the side sill temps with them and go from there. Besides, if you want them cooler...just drive faster. :D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron you are right about the airflow at either static or dynamic air conditions, but you are forgetting another phenomena. Convection air flow. Works great when the car is sitting and all it requires is a temperature delta to function. Well, if you have holes for air to move in and out too. Soooooo, yes, what comes on the car may be suitable for dynamic situations, but many of us spend half our life in traffic AKA static situations. So for a street car I think more holes are better and I even invented some for my sills :D

Regarding the wrap, you want to insulate an exothermic reactor and block airflow to it in the same act? :nono:

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I've seen these on sites before, and just came across them tonight. I was wondering if they really do work well and worth the money? --> SpeedTactics Dodge Viper Gills"

I installed this exact pair on my 97 GTS. My set up is a Corsa with RT High Flow Cats. Prior to install, the sills would be too hot to touch after a ride in traffic. The install of the Hi-Flow Cats helped but I still wanted to reduce heat to the sills so I looked at the grilles. After the install of the grilles, sills were noticeably cooler to the touch (as in hands, back of thighs, whatever). I had Steve Heitz do the install, couldn't force myself to make the necessary cuts needed for proper installation. My hand was shaking too much with a power tool getting within 12" of the car. Very happy with the appearance and results. I didn't pay $125 though, bought a new set on eBay for $60. There are several "Copy-Cat" versions out there but they all looked cheap.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent info Ron, thanks for posting. I had the same experience without the scientific measurement. Took the entire front bit off and there was indeed not alot of variation. My temp probe was my palm which isn't well calibrated, I believe your results though.

Have you (original poster) considered going catless? Its a bit more of a struggle during annual inspections but it totally eliminates the hot spots in the sills (in my experience anyway). You have a 96 so OBDII would work well for you in a catless situation.

I thought about it, but also heard running straight pipes/catless that you can get a "strong smell" which would annoy the hell out of me since I constantly drive with the windows down. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I've seen these on sites before, and just came across them tonight. I was wondering if they really do work well and worth the money? --> SpeedTactics Dodge Viper Gills"

I installed this exact pair on my 97 GTS. My set up is a Corsa with RT High Flow Cats. Prior to install, the sills would be too hot to touch after a ride in traffic. The install of the Hi-Flow Cats helped but I still wanted to reduce heat to the sills so I looked at the grilles. After the install of the grilles, sills were noticeably cooler to the touch (as in hands, back of thighs, whatever). I had Steve Heitz do the install, couldn't force myself to make the necessary cuts needed for proper installation. My hand was shaking too much with a power tool getting within 12" of the car. Very happy with the appearance and results. I didn't pay $125 though, bought a new set on eBay for $60. There are several "Copy-Cat" versions out there but they all looked cheap.

Good to know... I thought they looked pretty cool, and if they helped at all, figured it was a win/win situation.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the Viper world so bare with me. Could you get the inside of your sills coated to reduce heat? :dunno:

I really like Dave's setup with his sills! :headbang:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coating something only reduces the transmission of heat. It does not reduce heat.

It sounds like that those that are considering if they want more airflow in the sills need to decide under what conditions they are trying to address.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coating something only reduces the transmission of heat. It does not reduce heat.

It sounds like that those that are considering if they want more airflow in the sills need to decide under what conditions they are trying to address.

Street and highway driving. That's all I do with my car, I never track it. So steady driving on streets and highways with the obvious idling at stoplights and in traffic are a huge factor in my primary conditions I use my car for.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well there appears to be data saying that additional venting does not lower the sill temp under a dynamic state. At least the minor addition of the forward facing wheelwell vents. I would challenge that data using the full venting I have. And also the effctiveness of the vents under static conditions. Or as you say, obvious idling at stoplights.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, no argument from me on more holes = more airflow, whatever the variety. For me though the pain of cutting my car and therefore eliminating the option to ever return to stock combined with the added moisture entry points, encouraged me find other ways to reduce the heat without changing to hi-flow cats. I had listened to a few Vipers with hi-flows and didn’t like the acoustics.

Anyway, years ago I posted several threads on my quest for stopping sill corrosion and lower sill temps. Since the links are all broken I’ll repost here – Note that none of what I’ve done permanently changed the car – I used a donor exhaust and kept my original.

Warning #1: A lot more detail than anyone wants but at least you’ll understand what I base my opinion on.
Warning #2 – I’m a marketing guy not an engineer, so all of my opinions are based on my observations and my logic, not science.

First I charted what I had. It confirmed that there was significant airflow through the sills as speed increased which lowered sill temps despite the higher RPM’s/exhaust flow. In addition, max sill temp wasn’t while idling but after engine shutdown.
You must be registered for see images attach

I decided that to lower temps further, I need more airflow during idle and shutdown. To do that I plumbed a couple of ceramic tubes into the sills and used the radiator fan / ramair to force air in. Did it help? Not that I could tell but total cost was $20.00 and added weight was negligible so I left them in.

Next project was the corrosion. By this time I noticed a bubble on the sill and pulled them apart to try to figure out the root cause.

As you can see below the inner sill insulation is unwrapped and therefore a sponge when exposed to water. Start it up and you have a 10 cylinder steamer.

Having had one sill replaced under warranty, I observed that the new insulation was updated by being metal wrapped cat side and sill side, not just cat side. I manually did the same on my other sill by coating the sill side insulation with an adhesive foil coated insulation wrap and then heavy duty aluminum foil. Not a permanent fix but would by me some time.

Looking closely you can see the difference

OK with that done, back to temps – I then decided to have the exhaust coated to keep the heat in the exhaust gas itself and therefore (theoretically) forcing the heat out the back in the exhaust stream itself. A friend had done a similar exhaust coating and his exhaust gas temp at the tips were 100+ degrees hotter than an uncoated Viper parked next to him. All credited to the coating? At the time, yes.

Anyway, after the entire exhaust system was coated with a combination of stuff, including zirconium, I installed only one side in order to get an A/B comparison on the same car under the same conditions. Results:

I will admit that the cast iron manifold was still on the uncoated side so perhaps that had something to do with it, but it couldn’t have been significant. My guess is that the other coated exhaust Viper was running a different air/fuel ratio (it was lightly modded, w/ non OEM cats) which caused more of the increase vs. the coating.

Well, I’m this deep in so the coated exhaust is going on. At least I’ll get the 4 unclaimed horsepower with the shorty late GENII headers! Nope, the car dyno’d 3 HP less with the stainless shorty’s versus the OEM cast iron manifolds. Probably dyno variance but was tested on the same dyno under almost identical weather conditions. At least I saved 20 lbs….

So here are the internal temp measurements for those curious enough to care (I had ports cut and welded to the front and back of the cats and each exhaust tip):

And external temps in direct contact with the part (warmed up & idling w/ sill off):

My final modification was suggested by Craig, of power steering vent tube fame. To ensure airflow around the cat, he suggested adding a cat wrap of 3 dimensional screen over-wrapped with 3M Nextel ceramic cloth, good to 2012 degrees. It’s apparently a popular NASCAR insulation. The idea was to provide additional cat insulation while ensuring airflow around the cat itself both under and over the Nextel wrap:

Did it help? Yup, sill temps dropped as did peak temps post shutdown. Unfortunately I can’t find that spreadsheet but for the two people that are still reading it was an improvement on the order of 30 degrees as I remember.

Last edited:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave6666, we used thermo reflective sheets wrapped around the gastank in my friend's Noble M400 to lower fuel temperature.The gastank sits upright on the left side between the firewall and the engine next to the turbo as well:crazy2:.The car is rear engined and a lot of heat goes on in there.I'm thinking of using this material to attach on the inside of the sills and see what happens.I think the main problem is that the OEM cats are too large in diameter and long,nestling against the insulation blocking airflow.I thought using the OEM insulation only on top as a tunnel above the cats.Use vents on the underside of the sills as you did,plus adding the reflective material inside the sills.

Ron ,quote you here that's sums up most of the problem with our Vipers >" In addition, max sill temp wasn’t while idling but after shutdown".

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The appears to be 2 strategies developing here. One, to prevent the heat from going anywhere, assumably the cockpit where your hot ass is. And the other - what I would/am preaching - is to reduce the heat. Have the heat generating parts not so hot.

Your cockpit is passive. I does not produce heat. It resides at a temperature based on the transfer of energy from elsewhere. Like the sills or sunshine or whatever. How you get to a lower cockpit temperature is your choice tho. I prefer to do so by reducing the heat in the sills and not by preventing that heat from entering the cockpit. Either method works, but pick based on goals or preference ;)

My sills are not factory. They were not modified for my venting. There is also nothing elaborate or sophisticated about holes. I laid them out all purdy and air flows through.

This is a great thread tho with both avenues of addressing the temperature of the sills and cabin well represented. Those that are looking to do something should be able to pull together a plan. To cut or not to cut... :hmmm: Alternatively, just paint your car yellow. It is slower, less heat, cooler temps.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Not because his name is JON, but he is 100% correct. And so-stated Team Viper at several tech sessions. DONT WRAP YOUR EXHAUST..... DO vent the sills. We made cheap alum sill louvres 15 ago, but the SpeedTech vents are sexier and functional.

Hi flow cats and hi flow exhausts are significantly cooler than OE. They dont 'need' as much insulating as OE does

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vancouver - yes, max observed temps were post shutdown, so a Sean Roe fan runtime extender would be helpful with my airflow tubes, but I've moved on...

Dave you're right about cockpit temps. In one of my pictures you can see the ceramic coated floor heat shields. There I coated a set, sandwiched a layer of insulation between another set and reinstalled. Help? Psycologically absolutely :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave