1993 Coupe Prototype?

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I came across this add in a local autotrader and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this car and is it legit? I realize that people make claims that are not true all the time and this could be a total farse.

Just wondering if any of the experts could weigh in on this car.

scan0003.jpg

I did notice that it has a gen I hood without the NACA scoop and the Gen I wheels, along with side pipes. :confused:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the pics of the 1992 / 1993 GTS prototype that i have seen have 5-star (GenII) chromed wheels. i have seen the 1992 clay mockup of a GTS that had Gen I wheels, but again, it was only a clay mockup and not a running car.

93gtsconcept.jpg

but most importantly, lets say the car in the ad is TRULY a/the 1992 GTS prototype. to collectors, and to the seller, the value of that "legit" car would have to be alot more than a measly $75,000, wouldnt it?

in other words, IMO, i doubt this car is legit.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is legit, in fact it was for sale here and on the alley a while back.

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car is Shane Carter's car very nice individual. I have tried to help him find out more information as in documentation, articles on the car with no avail. From Shane it is my understanding this car had a twin and was destroyed at Chrysler. I had a couple of friends look at the car and it looks as if it is a prototype but little to no documentation. Anybody from Chrysler have any knowledge of this car shoot me an e-mail and I will forward it to Shane, So I have sent him this link, please if someone has any further information regarding this car he would appreciate hearing from you here is his e-mail

[email protected].

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BJ, could shane provide us with detailed pictures of this car for us to see?

i would enjoy seeing any pictures that indicate that this car is a prototype. additional pictures may help us answer Blue Pilots original question. plus, if this car is legit, i would love to have the pictures for the registry.

Superchargertoys

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Bernie for the introduction.

I truly appreciate the interest in my '93 Prototype. I purchased the car a couple years ago from Wixom Mi, just outside of Livonia Mi. I have paperwork transferring the car from Magna Automotive Testing (Inter Automotive) to the former owner back in 2001. The chassis is a Gen 1 as is the motor and some of the obvious exterior components. The primary function of this unit was for body and fit as well as fastener torque rating, rear glass shock testing and I assume CMM of the cowl as it retains the full compliment of cross hatch markings. Under the Passenger side rear fender "NO 1" was inscribed. I was informed that there were two units supplied for testing but the other did not survive. The Proto has many other markings, all of which were preserved and photos are available, as well as several "oddities" which set it apart from the production '96 GTS. If anyone has additional information or would like to further discuss the car I would be happy to do so, perhaps I can acquire some additional knowledge.

I would like to store the car away for the next 10 years or so as an investment as others have suggested, but the need for a larger home for my growing family unfortunately doesn't allow for this luxury. If circumstances change allowing me to keep the Proto, I will happily do so, but until then I must make it available for sale. As for the price, perhaps I should re-think it's true potential not only now but in the near future???

Please feel free to contact me via E-mail ([email protected], or via phone (716-308-9020) any time to discuss

Sincerely yours,
-Shane Carter-

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< As for the price, perhaps I should re-think it's true potential not only now but in the near future??? >>

let me be the first then to say congrats - i stand corrected from my origina post

have you considered selling this thing on the Barrett Jackson? there are some big spenders there looking to fill their museums with unusual pieces. IMO you DO have alot of considering to do. many of us have "1-of-50", or "1-of-100", etc., but you have "1-of-2", or as you said "1-of-1" now that the other car was destroyed.

ah, if we could only see into the future. :p

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I smell "salvage".....LOL

The "stories" some folks spin are sometimes unbelievable!

Copperhead 057

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is his description from his ad...............

1994 GTS Prototype For sale from my collection, among others, the first Viper GTS Prototype, built in '94.. 2 years prior to the introduction of the Viper GTS. It was in storage untill 2001 at which time it was released. I purchased in 2004 and completed the car with 0 miles, 2 months ago. Since the prototype was not painted, in primer, I sent it to a local paint shop that has painted many of my high end cars. The Prototype has a 540 hp experimental Gen1 motor, PCM and heads.

Additional information
1994 GTS Prototype Of course Viper Blue with white stripes and black interior. 0 miles on car except to drive onto trailer for paint. Car was mostly in primer when I acquired. Dodge started developing the GTS body 2 yrs prior to introduction in '96. 2 complete RT-10 chassis minus motor and tranny were sent to a development company in Michigan some time in late '92 early '93... with the first of the GTS bodies installed. Over the next 12 months the doors, roof, rear qtrs, and rear body section were massaged to proper fit. All fasteners for the doors, rear glass, etc were, and still are, marked with appropriate torque ratings and marking to see if under testing they would become dislodged. As I'm told 1 of the 2 chassis supplied were destroyed in testing. This car is labled #1 under the Driver side rear fender. At the conclusion of the tests and body fit, Dodge took only the doors for final molding. Dodge signed over the 2 chassis’s to the CEO of the developing company where they were placed in their storage facility till 2001. Sometime between the conclusion of the test in 1994 and 2001, the heavily damaged prototype (#2) was scrapped or removed from the storage facility. An engineer from the developing company (Arnie) purchased the good remaining chassis and body (#1)from the CEO and started acquiring the remaining parts to complete the car. Body panels remover by Dodge were replaced. Living in Michigan and working indirectly for Dodge, Arnie was privileged with the knowledge of the testing facility for the Gen 1 motor where they were testing how much hp can be extracted. Long story short the Gen 1 motor with a dodge reworked custom pcm, heads, and cam produced 540 hp on the dyno... The motor has never seen service except the dyno and is infact a 4 rib 1992 motor. Many of the probe ports and were still attached when I acquired. The motor and tranny were purchased and installed. In late 2005 Arnie had hurt his back and decided to sell the prototype (#1)... I stepped in and purchased. I then finalized the systems and complete the car. In early Feb 2006 she became a running driving car. I sent to the paint shop and expect back in aprox 3 weeks at which time photos can be sent. If you would like to discuss any of the cars listed please feel free to contact after 6pm EST 1-716-308-9020 or E-mail me questions any time. $75,300 Partial trades considered

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2005 COPPERHEAD #057
201 PLYMOUTH PROWLER
2004 HUMMER H2

Superchargertoys

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no vin number on the cowl post. I have not been able to find any chassis numbers either. The motor has *** on the heads and the throttle bodies are marked "Proto" I will continue to search the car over for numbers and will post if I find them. I do have a full complement of photos of each marking on the car from inside the driver door, to under the rear pass fender, to under the headliner, to under the rug in the back. I'm hoping someone can provide additional information on the car, photos, a contact, or as simple as having worked on it... If so please feel free to contact me any time.

Thank you,
-Shane-

P.S. Please note that the car was proto'd in '93- 94 as best as I can trace. I have listed the car on this site in the past as a '94 and '93 proto in hopes it would strike a cord with someone that may have some information. The last post is in fact my earlier listing, thank you Copperhead for posting.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By doing this non dodge work, does it hurt the value? Dodge left it unpainted, should it have been left that way?

Just curious how far you can modify a piece of history, before it becomes less historic/valuable ?

Jon