1999 RT-10 Winter Refurbishment and upgrade

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 years ago I finally got the car I had lusted for since 1989. I bought a black 1999 RT-10 from Ray Agen in Anchorage. I anxiously awaited its arrival and as soon as I got it I started to think about things to change. I use the car as a dry day daily driver here so I tend to put miles on it fast. Fortunately I took several high speed driving courses as advised by other Viper owners. The only bad (?) side effect was it made me want to do track days. I started enhancing the stock car witih an extra set of wheels and some Kuhmo V-700 tires, stainless brake lines and track pads. The following year I put in 3:55 gears, an aluminum Roe radiator and high flow cats. It already had a cat backs and muffler delete.

This fall I decided to get a Mopar style rear spoiler. I called Jon B and he had a nice carbon fiber model for an excellent price. With my car being black I wouldn't have to paint it and I really like the way it looks on the car. I also bought so TeamTech 6 points for the car (thanks again Jon B) as I was tired of bouncing around in the car on track days and I felt it would be smarter to use my hands for steering input instead of bracing myself..

After all this work I looked at my 13 year old car which has just rolled over 84,000 miles and decided it needed a" little bit of cosmetic work". The front fascia and side pods were pretty rough after all the miles on and off track as well as highways. I am an OK backyard painter so I started out to do just a couple of panels. The hood and trunklid were just fine, but the doors and side pods were pretty rough. I removed the side pods and painted them and did the rest of the work on the car. I also noticed the sport pad didn't look very good so I re-painted that as well as the deck area behind the rear window. In reflection, I guess I should have just kept going, but I didn't think I could actually do a whole car at the time. The paint came out pretty shiny, it isn't show quality, but is fine for a driver.

When I got done with the paint work I felt it needed something more. You know how Viper people can't just have something like everyone else. I have always loved the stripes on the coupes and I wanted something similar. I wanted something that is a bit low key, so I looked for a subdued color. Luckily for me a black Gen IV coupe with slate color stripes drove through my little town. I had about 10 seconds of view, but that was the color I wanted. I started looking at paint samples and the Viper colors. I painted several test panels and determined that Slate Pearl Metallic ( I think from 2002?) was the color I wanted. The next question was paint or vinyl? The paint people wanted $1,800 to just paint stripes with about another $1,000 or so the re-shoot clear to blend in the edges. Because it is a daily driver and a track car I didn't feel like spending that much. That pays for a lot of track days. We have a vinyl installer in town who has done some very nice work and he bid $800 for the job, including stripes on both the 3 piece and factory hardtop. The vinyl he uses is pretty much industry standard and lastsa a very long time, especially ifg your car sleeps indoors. Additionally, if I get tired of them I can have them removed. I like how they came out and how it helps give the car a new look withut shouting "STRIPES". Not often do Viper people do subtle, but this works for me.

I have included some shots I recently took on one of our rare dry days in January.

By the way, I am hoping to see some of you in September as I am planning to make the 3,000 mile (one way) drive to Charlotte.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 95

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's just something about a black RT/10 that I still love.
The wing and the stripes are a nice addition. Thanks for sharing!

01rt10outlaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, nice post, been poondering a wing and have a black stripe kit sitting in my office, just a few steps behind you, nice to hear other owener stories about the changes to their cars.....its like a slow love!

OP
OP
R

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fangs 10 Thanks for the post. I like the shot in your avatar. The stock car without stripes is awesome, but something about adding a little special touch to them sets them apart. I am expecting that the stripes will give me another 5 mph top end too (just kidding).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ray would not recognize his 'old' car!

{Neither would his celeb rider Sarah Palin}

Great Job.........

OP
OP
R

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to include one item in my post about refurbishing of my Viper.

If you are tracking your car and get some scrapes in the front fascia and other areas you probably hate to have the car looking bad. Using some standard touch-up paint with the little brush isn't a very good way to fix the paint and doesn't cover very well. I have re-painted the lower vertical part of my front fascia using a spray can with base coat color for my car. Grabbing a spray can is a lot easier than getting out and setting up your spray gun, at least for small jobs. I am not selling the products, but thought that owners might like to use a spray can of basecoat and one of clearcoat to tidy up scraped areas of your car. There are videos and DVDs available to show you how to do small area touch ups using spray paint and I think you will be surprised how easy it is once you get the hang of it.

The link for their product is http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ .

I hope I am not getting in trouble listing a non-Viper advertiser, but I really think that might help people keep their cars looking sharp all the time without spending a ton of money.

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks great!!! Stripes look perfect! How does it feel sitting inside with the 3-piece roof? I heard it can be a little confining.

OP
OP
R

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not real tall,but it is still close to my head. I imagine someone could install a seat lowering kit to give them a little more space. It is a lot lower roof than the factory bubble top. I can't get in it with a helmet on, but they usually only allow you to run on track with the factory top. I really like the look, especially the scoop which is non-functional on mine. It transforms the RT-10 into a different sort of animal. What I have found is that I can stow the 2 side pieces behind the seats (in their vinyl covers)and put the middle section in the trunk which allows me to actually carry a few things. I got lucky and found mine on Craig's list for $1,000. I had to paint it black, but it is a nice addition to the Viper.