20 Years of Viper Ownership today

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It has been a blast and I would not trade it for anything.

When the Viper appeared at the 1989 Detroit Auto Show, everybody went nuts, especially a Mopar fan like me. But with all 4 kids in college at the same time, owning a Viper was a pipe dream. However, each graduation resulted in a “pay raise.” When all four were on their on, healthy and not asking for money, I decided to buy me a graduation present! #796.

Meeting many great owners and Chrysler employees over the years has been an absolute high point. There are too many to mention, especially for fear of leaving anyone out. Tracking the car has been off the charts. Was so excited the very first time I did it, I introduced my wife to some Ferrari guys using my first wife’s name!!!

Can never forget buying the first Viper at Raymond Dodge outside of Philly. It was a late 1993 and it took the salesman and myself about an hour to figure out how to attach the top. We had just finished two big snow storms, the roads were not perfect, but I just couldn’t leave it there and wait for better weather.

The dealership was just off the NJ Turnpike. As soon as the Viper hit that road, people started going crazy … all the way back to VA. Had heard stories about the tops flying off above 50 mph, so I held on to one of the bows all the way back. Later we found out that just happened if the tops were improperly installed.

The first Viper Owners Invitational in Detroit was/is so special. Just super happy we attended. When our friends would ask where we were going on vacation that year, there was always polite silence when we said “Detroit.”

Living in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area was about as good as it gets. Two Southern California Vipers Clubs competing with each other for great events. Members winning!! Lee Iacocca and I having the only Vipers in the Coachella Valley was way cool.

The first Crab Feast with the VA-MD Club was so doggone good. Glad it still continues. Forming the NM Club with energetic members and the most scenic drives you would ever want are still missed.

The NASCAR Pace Car Laps and other events with the NV Club were unreal. Joining the North TX Club with more great members and events all over this great state has been such a treat ... wish we live closer to them.

Could go on and on … just wanted to relate a few thoughts and experiences.

Still fascinated just looking at Vipers!!

PS - Sadly, I’ll post this on two web sites ….

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love ya George, 20 years is quite the achievement brother. in 2 years I hit 20 years myself, wouldn't change it for the world.

Thanks for sharing...
Greg

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 years in a viper but not a mopar fan love the early mustang fastback and 69 z 28 !!!!!

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, thats a great story, thanks for sharing it. 1995 was my first Viper, bought it new, it was so awesome,the 90s in a Viper were magical.:2tu:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
George, that's a great story. As I always tell people - it's really not about the cars, it's about the people. I've made (and maintained) many friendships over the years, and many of those cars and trucks are long gone out my life, but the friends remain. People say cars are not good investments. Maybe money-wise, but if a good investment is about improving the QUALITY of life, then the cars and trucks I've owned are among the best investments I've ever made. I've made many good friends (that I might otherwise never have known) in the four years that I've owned my 2003 Viper.

PS - Raymond Dodge has been David CDJR for a few years now. He had a 2013 FE GTS on his floor for months. Just sitting there. I only live a few miles from there.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Post George, my how time flies....if you ever find your way back to MD/VA again, you will have to join us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets