2008 ACR at the Drag Strip....

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran the ACR at the drag strip last night. The car is tough to launch and I didn't get a clean run without bogging. The car would bite, then bog, even with a 1.86 60' time, making first gear take forever to finish, you can see it in the video below, it feels like the car cuts power. If I launched higher RPM's to get past the bog point, it would spin out. Best ET was 11.6 and best MPH 125.3.

Timelips, video and pics here:

2008 Dodge Viper ACR 1/4 mile

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your numbers sound about right when compared to magazine reviews and other posts on the VCA. A gear change might fix the launch problem.

Does anyone have 2008/09 1/4 mile times with 3.55s?

Last edited:

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brooks, that's still a really good run compared to other '08s. And it was your first time out there. Weather conditions were perfect I'm sure. What was the tire pressures in the rear? I'd over inflate the fronts and deflate the rears. Stock filters?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is actually one of the better times I've seen out of an ACR. Traction couldn't be that horrible with a 1.86 sixty, that is decent for an OEM tire.

I remember running my '06 when it was stock, you are right about how horribly under-geared these Vipers are for drag racing. 1st gear was so boring and long, and then you didn't get to use much of 4th.

Tony

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was that GTR modified or stock? That thing was quick too and with a bad launch seemed to gain ground by the end of the run.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT-R was modified, it had a tune and downpipe, worth about 70HP or so.....

My own GT-R has the tune as well, if the Viper didn't bog and screw first gear, it would be close to the 1/8 mile, then the Viper would pull away.....

there was a supercharged c6 zo6 running high 10's at 132MPH, another C6 Z06 had headers, intake (maybe more, that's all I could see) and was running 11.7's @ 123 MPH.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT-R was modified, it had a tune and downpipe, worth about 70HP or so.....

My own GT-R has the tune as well, if the Viper didn't bog and screw first gear, it would be close to the 1/8 mile, then the Viper would pull away.....

there was a supercharged c6 zo6 running high 10's at 132MPH, another C6 Z06 had headers, intake (maybe more, that's all I could see) and was running 11.7's @ 123 MPH.

What's a GT-R? It can't be anything of substance or exotic.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My best pass in my stock ACR is an 11.45 @ 126.1 with a 2.01 60'. This was on regular asphalt though, not a drag strip.

I'm not sure I'd under-inflate the PS Cups. Mine wheel hop really badly when they drop below 30 psi.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran the ACR at the drag strip last night. The car is tough to launch and I didn't get a clean run without bogging. The car would bite, then bog, even with a 1.86 60' time, making first gear take forever to finish, you can see it in the video below, it feels like the car cuts power. If I launched higher RPM's to get past the bog point, it would spin out. Best ET was 11.6 and best MPH 125.3.

Timelips, video and pics here:

2008 Dodge Viper ACR 1/4 mile

So I guess even the Gen IV's including the ACR suffer the same wheel hop as the Gen III. It is very frustrating when trying to all out accelerate.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you watch the video in HD here, make sure to click the HD button:

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/2426484[/media]

at the launch, you can see the weight transfer to back/bog 3 times before the car finally gets moving.... it wasn't hopping, it felt like an abrupt cut in power each time.....

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry if stupid question, I'm not a drag racer, but why was the GTR pulling you in at the end?

I would think he would get you off the line then your horsepower to pull Him at the end

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if stupid question, I'm not a drag racer, but why was the GTR pulling you in at the end?

I would think he would get you off the line then your horsepower to pull Him at the end

I was there and saw the same thing. It is just an illusion due to the angle of the camera view.

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much gas did you have in the tank? It may have been starving for fuel. Ive had that happen to me several times.

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Based on the Viper's trap speed of 124mph vs the GT-R's 104mph and extremely close ETs (practically identical), means that the Viper is quite obviously far from running it's best time.

If you assume that a GT-R has really good traction and minimal wheel spin, then the Viper needs a lot of suspension and gearing work to really blast some serious 1/4 mile times...

What do you guys reckon?

Some for fun tools:

Drag Performance Calculator

Engine Motor Horsepower Estimate Calculator - Elapsed Time ET - Quarter Mile Drag Race

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you try messing with the shocks? maybe going full soft all the way around? I am a road racer not a drag racer but I think it would help with weight transfer. Maybe adjusting the wing so there is as little angle as possible( be careful I heard it voids some warranty stuff)

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
less than 1/4 tank of fuel....

didn't mess with the shocks, going soft in the rear might help..... the wing can be adjusted one more notch for less downforce....

launching is not close to the same as my 96 GTS, when I left the line in the GTS, I never had to worry about bogging down....

Even though my launch (60') was better than the GT-R's, I still bogged, which allowed him to catch up to me at the 1/8 mile.... his 1/8 mile ET and MPH were better, but after the 1/8 mile I start to pull away...

My GT-R pulled 99 MPH 1/8 mile traps, I know the ACR can do the same if it doesn't bog out in 1st gear.....

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My GT-R pulled 99 MPH 1/8 mile traps, I know the ACR can do the same if it doesn't bog out in 1st gear.....

I know Viper's don't have traction control, but do they have some type of torque limiting programming built into the ECU in the Gen IV cars? With throttle by wire, I was wondering if they would have this to limit the torque in the lower gears? If so, that would explain the bog.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
less than 1/4 tank of fuel....

didn't mess with the shocks, going soft in the rear might help..... the wing can be adjusted one more notch for less downforce....

launching is not close to the same as my 96 GTS, when I left the line in the GTS, I never had to worry about bogging down....

Even though my launch (60') was better than the GT-R's, I still bogged, which allowed him to catch up to me at the 1/8 mile.... his 1/8 mile ET and MPH were better, but after the 1/8 mile I start to pull away...

Man those runs aren't too bad! People that don't own these cars don't understand how tough it is to launch the cars, the last time I was out with mine I couldn't get it down the track as it was cold out and if I left easy it would bog and then when the power came on it would lose traction and wheel hop and I would have to lift and shift. Obviously that doesn't produce very good ets! My GTS is a 100 times easier to drive at a drag strip! I think when you get used to launching it your ets will drop quite a bit.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember reading on the forum about another ACR owner describing the same bog/ power loss when launching at 3500-4000. I wonder what the correlation may be?

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 11.45 run did 99.3 in the 1/8th, with only a 2.01 60'. I think the 2->3 shift (which I did flat-out) plays a big role in the 1/8 mile speed, as well as any wheelspin after the launch (which I didn't get any of).

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fikse how do you like your GTR? Is yours modded or stock? Has anyone done big mods yet? Bigger turbos 700awhp plus?

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the generic cobb tune on it.... adds about 40-50HP, the car pulls very hard to 100MPH, then the weight catches up with it.... we'll see what comes out for this car, I'll let others "beta" test and then decide....

It's a lot of fun and very easy to drive fast... here is a run at the track, 11.2 with a slow 1.89 60':

Nissan GT-R Cobb

Fikse how do you like your GTR? Is yours modded or stock? Has anyone done big mods yet? Bigger turbos 700awhp plus?