2008 @ Bradenton, 11.4 @ 124

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to impressed considering my 2004 convert did 11.49 @123.08 mph all day long on stock motor and run craps .

Don't know the track you were running at, other factors, etc. but your times are lower than normal for an '04 (stock).

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a C6 Z06 and 97 Viper GTS.In driving both,the Viper is fast,however the C6 Z06 is much faster.I was hoping the 2008 Vipers were going to be faster or as fast as the Z06,but that does not seen to be the case with factory tires.I am buying a 2008 Black Viper Coupe,I still 2008 like the car alot.

Sounds like a comparison of apples oranges and potatoes. What does a '97 GTS have to do with an '03-'06 Viper, or a C6 Z06, or an '08 Viper? I've seen C5 Z06s run slower that C6 Z06s ... proves??? The '08 Viper is faster than the C6Z06 -- you're not likely to be disappointed (or every magazine in the free world has been wrong)

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove several C6Z06's and they did not feel any stronger than my GTS. They certainly did not feel as powerful as my '68 vette. The gears are lower and they are lighter by about 250 pounds. We all know those are the factors between a early Gen 3 Vipers and the Z06. The biggest difference to me and the reason I switched to Vipers after always having vettes, was because of appearance and quality. You can easily make a car more powerful but you will never maker a modern vette look as good as a Viper.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Chevy made a Z06 that looked as good as my '68, I would have never defected to a Viper. We all know, once you go Viper, you never go back.

You must be registered for see images

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats a beautiful 68!!

OSW is Orlando Speed World.

You won't be disappointed in the 08. I just haven't figured out how to launch it yet. My other Gen. II's were much easier with the right gears. Hopefully we can get some more seat time and better times the 24th.

Keith

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, that 68 is wow. Thats one hell of a lip on those wheels.

Thanks. They are custom made Boyd Coddington's (17x 12 w/ 4.75 backspacing). Here is a front pic. I still have to put in the front grills, chrome bumper guards and mount the headlight covers. There is masking tape holding the covers in place in this pic. Also, I have Stahl sidepipe headers, which are being ceramic coated.

Last edited:

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So were the z06's all running below 11.4? And were the Z's stock as best u could tell? I cannot imagine Z's running below 11.4 consistently.

The Z06's run the big numbers because they are LIGHTWEIGHT have great power to weight ratio and get out of the hole way better. My Ford GT has over 600rwhp and can barely get into the 10's with tires, and when it was bonestock with with over 500rwhp I could barley break off an 11.5 at 126 because I could not get a good leave because the car is too heavy and the clutch can't handle the leave you need to accomplish it. On the other hand my Bone Stock Z06 will run low 11's all day long and I am the guy that just recently ran a 10.98 bone stock on factory tires in my Z06 at MIR Raceway in Maryland so don't be surprised about them running consistent low 11's. I also believe the Viper will go 10's in stock form but I agree with another poster that said gears might be what it takes as the viper is a heavy car for 3.07 gear and drag racing. The Viper doesn't have good drag racing gears for the weight of the car IMO, and it doesn't matter how much HP you have if you can't use it.

Last edited:

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a comparison of apples oranges and potatoes. What does a '97 GTS have to do with an '03-'06 Viper, or a C6 Z06, or an '08 Viper? I've seen C5 Z06s run slower that C6 Z06s ... proves??? The '08 Viper is faster than the C6Z06 -- you're not likely to be disappointed (or every magazine in the free world has been wrong)

I wouldn't believe everything you read in magazines! Not that I don't doubt the Viper might be the faster of the 2, its just the 2 cars they test in a magazine article don't represent all the other cars and drivers of the same models, as if it did the results might be different?

Last edited:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta admit, I didnt know the C6 Z06's were that fast. I did not know they were running consistent low 11's, and even some 10's. Those numbers are crazy fast for a 505 hp car w/out awd. The few z's I have come across were roll ons and I stomped them. But it is a point, I do see guys w/ 700 rwhp Vipers still running in the 11's, all b/c of traction. I think a 3:45 gear would help the 08 Viper, but if you get up around 700 rwhp, you need to stay w/ the 3:07.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you shifting at ?
Are you granny shifting ?
What gear are you in at the traps ?
Did you heat the tires each run ?
Did you let the the motor cool between runs ?
Did you try different rpm's at launch and what were they ?

After getting answers from above I think I can help you to lower your times.

Still waiting, can you let us know more info on your run ?

:feedback:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two guys that run crazy Z06 numbers Ranger and our man on this thread Jamie Furman. And Jaime is top dog right now I believe. Jaime is a local guy to us here in VA/MD and although he did not over emphasize it is a longtime Viper guy also. My question Jaime, with your Viper experience what do you think the 08 Viper could do with YOU in the seat. Driver makes a HUGE difference with Vipers. Assume the 08 is an ACR with the maximum lighter weight and as recently discussed by the SRT engineers a couple tenths quicker in the quarter due to the areo down force additions over the standard 08. What do YOU think you could do with it?

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Jamie's point is that, no matter how much hp the production Viper has, it is limited by the tall gearing. One thing that I noticed when I got my first Viper was how weak the power was below 3000 rpms compared to my '68 vette. I do not drag race but even so, it is much easier to jump out with the vette than it is with the Viper. Right off of idle, the vette pulls hard, whereas the Viper has to be clutched and massaged off the line to compensate for the tall gearing, waiting for the meat of the powerband to come into play at 3000 rpms. Even the SRT engineers admit that the differential gearing should be changed for best acceleration performance.

No offense, Jamie but the Z06 is an ugly ****. Light weight and 10 second 1/4 mile times don't change that fact.

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres 2 guys that run these super low Z numbers on a certain track on a certain day, The average Z driver will never see low elevens in a stock Z. The only numbers that count to me are same track same day same conditions with "Equall" drivers. The mags have done it and the 08 Viper was faster. Will the 08 Viper hit high 10's bone stock, probably. But again its same track same day same conditions.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe everything you read in magazines! Not that I don't doubt the Viper might be the faster of the 2, its just the 2 cars they test in a magazine article don't represent all the other cars and drivers of the same models, as if it did the results might be different?

I agree, and I know what you're saying ... but when magazine, after magazine, after magazine all say the same thing, well, you get the idea ... you personally may have run faster times (than the magazines) in a Z06, but that would just mean you'd be even faster in an '08 Viper :D ... at the end of the day, the king-of-the-hill rep goes to whichever the magazines say, not based upon what this or that individual may have run on this or that day.

But I also still say Dodge needs to offer the Viper with a stock 3.33 rear gear option.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason the Vipers come with tall gearing is in order to get the fuel mileage where it needs to be. The savings in gas guzzler taxes are greater than the cost to change it over to a lower gear ratio. Therefore, Chrysler is not going to offer lower gearing but rather leave that up to the consumer. In the end, it saves the consumer money.

The Viper will undoubtedly eat a Z06 from a roll. It is putting out about 100hp more. The vette has the advantage of better gearing from a dead stop but from a roll, it will be a convincing victory for the Viper.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree w/ the rags. Even though Car n Driver gave the nod to the Z, all mags gave the 08 Viper faster 1/4 mile times, and the gap widens greatly in the 1/2 mile and so on. So while excellent drivers are getting low 11's and high 10's in the Z, those same drivers or drivers of equal talent will see lower numbers in the Gen 4 Viper.
Having said that, I think the 3:33 gear or 3:45 would deff make the 08 much stouter. Now, we all know most battles are roll on. And in that fight, its no contest, the Viper rules. In every roll on I have had, I always let the Vette punch first. Only sex rivals the feeling of sucking up a Vette at 100 mph after letting him "give it all he's got"!:headbang:from a roll on.
I almost got my ass kicked by a BMW 3 M series from a dead stop on a bad night when I wasnt really concentrating...fishtailed so bad in first I almost got perpendicular to the road. I straightened her out and I caught him in second, but you get the picture. Vipers are much more to handle from a dead stop w/ all that torque. IMO it takes a better driver in a Viper to beat the same driver in a Vette.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two guys that run crazy Z06 numbers Ranger and our man on this thread Jamie Furman. And Jaime is top dog right now I believe. Jaime is a local guy to us here in VA/MD and although he did not over emphasize it is a longtime Viper guy also. My question Jaime, with your Viper experience what do you think the 08 Viper could do with YOU in the seat. Driver makes a HUGE difference with Vipers. Assume the 08 is an ACR with the maximum lighter weight and as recently discussed by the SRT engineers a couple tenths quicker in the quarter due to the areo down force additions over the standard 08. What do YOU think you could do with it?

Well Lee when I get my new ACR I will let you know for sure! But I have always felt the New Viper would go 10's in the right conditions with the right driver! You may remember when we used to have Viperclub races at MIR, hell my bone stock 97 gts went 11.60 with 200 miles on the clock and turned a 11.41 with drag radials the same day. I think that to this day those are some of the best runs by a GTS, and I have always felt the GTS was a faster car than a SRT. I drove a couple of SRT's including my own and could not put them in the 11's although I didn't make but about 10 passes total trying. I have always felt where the SRT engine makes power and the bigger rear wheels without changing gears hurt the cars drag strip potential. As far as the Z06, its the fastest stock car I have ever driven period, my FORD GT with Jason's pulley and tune, over 600 rwhp can't out run it in the 1/4 mile. I think its not only because the cars got an awesome engine but when I weighed it, it only weighed 3070 pounds and thats the key! Also someone mentioned certain day, certain track well there are Z06's all over the country that are within a tenth or 2 of my best times and I have run equal times at the 3 different tracks I have been to.
My fist pass ever in the car was in august 2006, 90 degree temps and the car went 11.31 at 128 and I knew then 10's would be possible in good air. I also don't agree with you Alex about the Z06's looks, although I love the Vipers looks I think the Z06 looks great a lot like the Viper IMO. Here is a picture of mine and unless your blind or in denial you can't deny the cars good looks. I also admit I don't have any (Brand Loyalty) as I love all cool cars I don't care who makes them! I hope my new ACR is my fastest car but if its not? I won't pretend it is!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Chevy made a Z06 that looked as good as my '68, I would have never defected to a Viper. We all know, once you go Viper, you never go back.

Well Alex beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I much prefer my corvette to yours! But I won't tell you how ugly it is compared to mine!:D

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Still waiting, can you let us know more info on your run ?

:feedback:

Well here are the answers to your questions.
I was shifting @ about 5500
No I was not grannie shifting but not the best/fastest shifter in the world.
Yes i did heat the tire a little each time , I did not sit there and smoke them i just did 2 lil dry hops .
Not much cool down .
I felt best launchin at around 1500 to 1700 rpm's booged a lill then got up and ran like a bat otta h----.
If it means anything i was at ATCO raceway in New Jersy .

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well here are the answers to your questions.
I was shifting @ about 5500
No I was not grannie shifting but not the best/fastest shifter in the world.
Yes i did heat the tire a little each time , I did not sit there and smoke them i just did 2 lil dry hops .
Not much cool down .
I felt best launchin at around 1500 to 1700 rpm's booged a lill then got up and ran like a bat otta h----.
If it means anything i was at ATCO raceway in New Jersy .

Nice car dude but I like the blue one better yours is too old man for me .

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Lee when I get my new ACR I will let you know for sure! But I have always felt the New Viper would go 10's in the right conditions with the right driver! You may remember when we used to have Viperclub races at MIR, hell my bone stock 97 gts went 11.60 with 200 miles on the clock and turned a 11.41 with drag radials the same day. I think that to this day those are some of the best runs by a GTS, and I have always felt the GTS was a faster car than a SRT. I drove a couple of SRT's including my own and could not put them in the 11's although I didn't make but about 10 passes total trying. I have always felt where the SRT engine makes power and the bigger rear wheels without changing gears hurt the cars drag strip potential. As far as the Z06, its the fastest stock car I have ever driven period, my FORD GT with Jason's pulley and tune, over 600 rwhp can't out run it in the 1/4 mile. I think its not only because the cars got an awesome engine but when I weighed it, it only weighed 3070 pounds and thats the key! Also someone mentioned certain day, certain track well there are Z06's all over the country that are within a tenth or 2 of my best times and I have run equal times at the 3 different tracks I have been to.
My fist pass ever in the car was in august 2006, 90 degree temps and the car went 11.31 at 128 and I knew then 10's would be possible in good air. I also don't agree with you Alex about the Z06's looks, although I love the Vipers looks I think the Z06 looks great a lot like the Viper IMO. Here is a picture of mine and unless your blind or in denial you can't deny the cars good looks. I also admit I don't have any (Brand Loyalty) as I love all cool cars I don't care who makes them! I hope my new ACR is my fastest car but if its not? I won't pretend it is!

Park the ACR(Mine will be Red) next to the Z06 and then you can see why the Viper is really a Exotic sitting next to the Vette. What did one mag writer say The Z looks like a "Turnip" parked next to the 08 Viper.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, I hate to tell you but the C6's are foul looking. The window pillars are ugly, the chopped off rear is dreadful and the smiley face grill is surely geared for hetero challenged males. In no way is it in the same league as a Viper, when it comes to appearance.

I will not even remark much about your vette vs. mine but if you honestly think that a 1967 vette looks even remotely as good as mine, you are either drunk, delusional or blind. Trust me, you are way off and it's borderline embarrassing when you post up a pic of that thing next to my vette. :D Hell, your vette looks like a volkwagen bug compared to my '68. Be real. On the other hand, I am sure that your '67 is worth a lot of money. It's just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, congrats on your times! I think I am most impressed with the 11.6 with your stock '97!
But you've turned that dump of a Z06 into one fast machine! :D :D
J/k Can you tell I'm not a vette fan at all? But that really doesn't matter does it!

Now go get that 08 in the 10s and come back here telling us all how the Z06 *****! :D :D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R/T - .103
60'- 1.784
330 - 4.956
1/8 - 7.487
MPH -97.23
1000 - 9.657
1/4 - 11.496
MPH - 123.08
Well here it reads strait from my slips . No matter how fast I ran I get beat by zo6's All day , I dont under stand .

Maybe they had a better reaction time than you and beat you to line. Were the Z06's running better times, or just beating you to the end of the strip?

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, congrats on your times! I think I am most impressed with the 11.6 with your stock '97!
But you've turned that dump of a Z06 into one fast machine! :D :D
J/k Can you tell I'm not a vette fan at all? But that really doesn't matter does it!

Now go get that 08 in the 10s and come back here telling us all how the Z06 *****! :D :D

Well I hope to get 10's in the Viper, and you are right I really don't care that some people think the Z06 is ugly because everyone has their own opinion. I will never come back and tell you a Z06 ***** no matter what the ACR runs, because the Z06 is one badass car and thats all there is to it! The reason I didn't buy an SRT and decided to wait for an ACR is that I feel the same about the SRT as you guys that have commented on how ugly the Z06 is, that is I feel it looks like a RICER to me and I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. That said I think the Viper GTS is one of the most beautiful cars ever made with timeless lines and will be an icon for years to come, and I think most of the long time Viper owners will agree that the SRT doesn't compare to the old GTS. The SRT up until the 08 model year has been a disappointment performance and looks wise and thats why they couldn't sell them and were giving such big discounts. Now with the ACR I think they have the looks and performance figured out. The homers that hate the Z probably hate this too because it doesn't say Dodge on the side!

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe they had a better reaction time than you and beat you to line. Were the Z06's running better times, or just beating you to the end of the strip?

When loosing to the zo6 I was on the street from a roll to like 140 MPH .

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
z06's look good but me and most people in the world think any vipers looks better. Just go to an auto show. I've been to auto shows where they have had the z06, FGT and the SRT-10 and about 4 people are looking at the z06, people are all circled over the Ford GT and same with the Viper. Even though looks is opinion (and everyone is entitled to there own opinion), I think its almost fact that vipers look better than z06's....

BTW nice looking Z06 jamie I like the powder coated wheels and nice looking FGT :2tu: You really need to take a pic with all three when the ACR comes in

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang