2008 does a ground pounding 12.03 @122

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:mad: Damn stupid throttle by wire. I want to drive a car not have to learn how to trick the computer. Maybe I need the re-flash we'll see.

Now I know why no one has been posting their times.

The car is clearly a low 11 second car but getting there is going to take a day at the track to work out the launch to stop the computer from getting confused about giving me full throttle in 1st gear.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How was your traction? Any wheel-hop? What were your 60' times?

Several newer cars have throttle by wire, they only close the throttle if the car has traction control and it sees wheel spin. I haven't heard of any other Viper T-B-W systems interfering with abusive driving patterns.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ray,

How many runs did you make? How is the new track? Brooks is talking about renting the track at night for the VCA; maybe then we can all practice our traction.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 runs.
1. Best run 2.10 60ft
2. 3000rpm = wheel spin=12.15
3. Rode the clutch = 12.21
4. Track getting better hooks,then bogs,wheel hops and pops out of first gear. N/T
5. 4000rpm hooks and pops out of first again. Went home.

Ivan, I will be joining Brooks at the track again when he sets up the rental.

I'll get the computer reflashed before going again as well.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way to decribe the bog would be that you are on wet pavement at 3000rpm and then go to dry. The wheelspin stops,the tires bite and the computer waits to figure out what to do next. You can't modulate the the gas pedal.

My test theory is going to be that at a high enough rpm and sticky tires you can launch the car at a point that the computer won't disengage the throttle.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have heard is there is some type of torque management system. Mark J at woodhouse knows all about it.

The best way to decribe the bog would be that you are on wet pavement at 3000rpm and then go to dry. The wheelspin stops,the tires bite and the computer waits to figure out what to do next. You can't modulate the the gas pedal.

My test theory is going to be that at a high enough rpm and sticky tires you can launch the car at a point that the computer won't disengage the throttle.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the heads up video of our run, Viper vs GT-R...... Viper pulls on the GT-R pretty ******* the top end...

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not your launching technique and not the drive by wire? I've had similar results with the GTS based on track prep and it bogged to the point of nearly stalling. Why is your car poping out of gear in first? Sounds to me like the tranny issue needs resulution first.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the heads up video of our run, Viper vs GT-R...... converting now....

my best run in the GT-R was 11.21 @ 122.24 MPH.....

That sounds about right for the mph. That car would be tough to beat from a dead stop for any car. I'll make sure I am going at least 30mph if one wants to try me.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 runs.
1. Best run 2.10 60ft
2. 3000rpm = wheel spin=12.15
3. Rode the clutch = 12.21
4. Track getting better hooks,then bogs,wheel hops and pops out of first gear. N/T
5. 4000rpm hooks and pops out of first again. Went home.

Ivan, I will be joining Brooks at the track again when he sets up the rental.

I'll get the computer reflashed before going again as well.

It's a wicked car and will take some getting used to. But I know once you get it right, you'll be leaving everyone in the dust. Did you check your tire pressures? I think you could've left at a lower rpm, say 1800 or 2000 without tire spin at 20 lbs tire pressure. I know that always worked for me.

Brooks is supposed to check for a date in January when it's still nice and cool.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not your launching technique and not the drive by wire? I've had similar results with the GTS based on track prep and it bogged to the point of nearly stalling. Why is your car poping out of gear in first? Sounds to me like the tranny issue needs resulution first.

With practice I have gotten every Viper I have owned down to 1.63-1.65 with the factory tires the best being 1.63 on my 95. I am sure there is a different technique that will work but I wasn't going to continue to embarass myself and the car with the test and tune audience.

I think the popping out of first might be from wheel-hop,but I was concentrating on the launch when that problem decided to show up.

I still love the car it is just proving to be the most challenging Viper to date to drive in the quarter mile.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only got one pass in my car, a 2006 SRT10 Coupe. It was my 1st and only pass so far, and I ran a 11.78 at 131mph spinning in 1st, 2nd, and a little in third.

Of course my car is supercharged. :D

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhh the dreaded wheel hop! That, explains that. 1.63 on factory tires, now that's amazing! Good Luck with your new found challenge.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, the car is struggling on the top end, it trapped 99 MPH in the 1/8, which is usually good for 125 MPH at the end of the 1/4 mile.... I might be holding out 4th gear to long.....

here is the Viper run....

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/2315357[/media]

my best ET;

2009 Nissan GT-R Cobb 1.08B 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com

That sounds about right for the mph. That car would be tough to beat from a dead stop for any car. I'll make sure I am going at least 30mph if one wants to try me.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something is wrong ET aside your mph (provided its not too hot out )is be near 130.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something is wrong ET aside your mph (provided its not too hot out )is be near 130.

It was about 65 degrees out. I attribute the low mph due to the reduced power for 50-75 ft in first gear. Not the same as wheelspin. If you look at the Video right after I get into 2nd gear the car wakes back up. Also from the 1000ft mark to the end I picked up 13-14mph on the GT-R.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 75 degree weather my 08 trapped 129.8 (11.3 ET)in 90 plus weather it was trapping 128)Ray when you say reduced power is the car cutting out.?

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 75 degree weather my 08 trapped 129.8 (11.3 ET)in 90 plus weather it was trapping 128)Ray when you say reduced power is the car cutting out.?

The feeling would be more like if you launched in 2nd gear. The tires bite and the car stumbles trying to get up into the powerband. Only it is happening in 1st.

I am shifting at the redline but not powershifting and the car is just hitting the rev limiter in 3rd at the mph lights.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately bring it in to get looked out as indicated by your trap speed your down 100 hp as Gen 3s trap in the low 120s.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ray. Based on other drag time posts for a stock '08, it sounds like you need to bring the car into the dealer and have them check your programming. I do not know which dealer you use, but I would recommend that you give Mark Leslie a call at University Dodge. He's the Service manager. I am assuming that the car is stock. Correct?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid question maybe, but is there anyway to revert these cars back to a cable wire instead of the electronic wire?
I dont believe so as there are many other diffefrences between a Gen 3 and 4 besides the drive by wire.The above issue aside there is fefinately something wrong if a Gen 4 in decent weather is only trapping 122Mph.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Bob, yes Mark has been my guy since day one 1995. He told me to reflash a few months back but I thought I didn't have any symptoms till now.

I've had the headers and gears for 2 months now waiting for Moroso to open so I could get some base numbers before the install.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid question maybe, but is there anyway to revert these cars back to a cable wire instead of the electronic wire?

I doubt it Chuck. Of all the electronics that they put on the car this was clearly the dumbess. Throttle by wire is most effective for use with some type of traction control system. They only installed the most useless part of the system (TBW).

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll master it in no time...Every generation of Viper gets harder and harder to drive fast

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are really hard to drive without really good traction, and that is a hard thing to get with all that torque. I had my Z06 and my ACR out this weekend on a real cold track and the Z06 was running much better times than my ACR as the Z was having trouble hooking but was able to get decent enough traction to get some good runs. On the other hand the Viper was not able to hook at all and when it tried to the wheel hop killed the run and I would have to peddle, I eventually put it in the trailer after 4 runs. It was in the mid 30's and the track prep just wasn't there and the tires weren't able to handle the torque. Even with 2.2 shorts and 5k shifts it was able to run some 11.5's at 128mph.
I would say you have something else wrong besides traction?

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Jamie. After thinking about it the best run had a lot of wheelspin so it should have mph better even if the e.t. was slow. I am getting the reflash and trying again beforemaking any other changes to the car.

Are you and 1BADGTS getting into 4th ? I was on the limiter in 3rd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4