2008 does a ground pounding 12.03 @122

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray, we are you getting flashed, we might head back on wednesday......

I agree Jamie. After thinking about it the best run had a lot of wheelspin so it should have mph better even if the e.t. was slow. I am getting the reflash and trying again beforemaking any other changes to the car.

Are you and 1BADGTS getting into 4th ? I was on the limiter in 3rd.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up Mr Furman.Happy holidays.

Same to you!:) Went out for a track rental hoping to go 10's in the Viper but the track conditions were not that good. I can usually run 1.7 60's on runflats on good days with the Z and the best I could do yesterday was high 1.8's and the Viper wouldn't even think about hooking at any speed in the first 2 gears, but even if it would of hooked it would of had its hands full with the Z06 as it was really making some HP with the cold air. Here are 4 of my best in the Z on runflats, and as you can see if I could of got traction it would of probably went 10.80's in bone stock condition.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Jamie. After thinking about it the best run had a lot of wheelspin so it should have mph better even if the e.t. was slow. I am getting the reflash and trying again beforemaking any other changes to the car.

Are you and 1BADGTS getting into 4th ? I was on the limiter in 3rd.

I always shift into 4th.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys lets put things in perspective here to run a high 10 or low 11 second ET in a stock tired 08 takes a professional driver or a driver of professional level ability (Evan Smith or Jamie Furman ) on a fast prepped track in the right weather.An average driver is no way able to hook the Pilots up to get that kind of ET.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jamie, I see you are getting 27-28 mph from 1000' to 1320'. I was hitting 96-98mph@ 1000' and ending w/ 121-122 mph. So if the car was making the right hp I should have gone at least 126 mph.Since the only driving skill is making the shift I will say this proves I am down on power as well.

Brooks,I am calling Mark tomorrow. I am in for Wed. if I can get it done.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im sure with more practice with the 08 viper your time will go down to the 11s.get the car dynoed and see what its putting at the wheels.its so easy to roast the rear tires.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it won't take the reflash update. Dealership says probably done at CAAP before it was shipped.

So went to the dyno, best rwhp 531 & 498 rwtq. Not happy with that. The other thing I did was run a throttle position meter during last two runs. When you hit it in 4th at 2500rpm it starts at about 60% and goes incremently up to a max of 84%.

So back to the track tomorrow and try some new driving techniques.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it won't take the reflash update. Dealership says probably done at CAAP before it was shipped.

So went to the dyno, best rwhp 531 & 498 rwtq. Not happy with that. The other thing I did was run a throttle position meter during last two runs. When you hit it in 4th at 2500rpm it starts at about 60% and goes incremently up to a max of 84%.

So back to the track tomorrow and try some new driving techniques.
Ray with that RWHP number you trap speed should approach 130 mph no problem.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1BADGTS, I was looking back and saw that the average rwhp was about 544rwhp on the Vipers that have posted their dyno #'s I am down about 14hp on the average. What I don't know is if they tweaked a bit maybe by chilling the intake or running the engine cold. I know here in FL even though we are at sea level our air density is somewhat diminished due to higher humidity.

By the way I did make my runs with the stock air filter in place and a warm but not hot engine. About 185 degrees.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys lets put things in perspective here to run a high 10 or low 11 second ET in a stock tired 08 takes a professional driver or a driver of professional level ability (Evan Smith or Jamie Furman ) on a fast prepped track in the right weather.An average driver is no way able to hook the Pilots up to get that kind of ET.

I don't think it takes a pro driver to get an 08 into the low 11's or high 10's. My 01 ACR makes the same or maybe a touch more power (545-565rwhp, 590-610rwtq - depending on the dyno I've run 11.01@128mph (N/A) I'm no "PRO" driver.

Ray I live in Orlando, we should go out and do a few drag runs at OSW. Or even a few 50-150 pulls at my test track. It would great to put up some vids.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it takes a pro driver to get an 08 into the low 11's or high 10's. My 01 ACR makes the same or maybe a touch more power (545-565rwhp, 590-610rwtq - depending on the dyno I've run 11.01@128mph (N/A) I'm no "PRO" driver.

Ray I live in Orlando, we should go out and do a few drag runs at OSW. Or even a few 50-150 pulls at my test track. It would great to put up some vids.
Beg to differ with you on STOCK TIRES no way in the world an average driver ids getting a 550 rwhp viper any gen in the 10s.My old gen 2 was driven by the best of the best( Evan Smith ,Jamie Furman Darren Buhler) won 4 straight Mopar Atl National titles and no one EVER put it in the tens on stock tires and the car trapped 132 mph in the quarter.No stock Gen 4 gas ever run 10s on stock tiresthough Furman at 11.0 is almost there.No way the above guys i mentioned are average flat out they are the best out there on stock tires.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
test track? please tell.... live on an airstrip?

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well I agree it doesn't take a pro as I hope to go 10's and I am not a pro, but you can't compare a GTS to a SRT, totally different powerbands. And I assume you ran your times on regular radials not drag radials? My GTS with 560 rwhp would run consistent 10.8's, 10.9's at 132 on regualr 19 radials with a best of 10.51 at 134 with drag radials. To get the new Viper in the 10's in stock condition you are going to have to have good traction from good track prep and good air and the car is going to have to hit 130mph through the traps to have a chance at 10's. The big problem with new car is it needs a better gear like 3.23 or 3.33 ratio and it would be a different car and be much easier to drive. Traction is a big problem with the launch you need to make a good pass in the 08 Viper IMO.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie dont kid yourself your as good or better than ANY pro i know on stock radials (and you know i have access to a few of them up here).If he ran 11.0 on stock tires man thats saying something as other than you (driving your blown Gen 2 on stock ties in the 10s) i have never seen anyone elso do it.Looking back how many times did my old 550 rwhp Gen 2 trap 121 plus and no ten second run on stock radials.(MANY a pro tried to no avail)

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disturbed,maybe I'll see you at Bradenton with the Macedo gang.

Meantime,tomorrow I will use what I learned at the dyno to make some driving corrections.

Then time to put on the headers and gears.

OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wed.evening 4 runs.

1. 12.13 @ 118.32 mph
2. 11.95 @ 119.74 mph
3. 11.73 @ 124.81 mph
4. Wheel-hop,pops out of first,shut it down and went home.

The car probably has an 11.30 in it,but I toasted the clutch a bit on the third run. With more track time I could do maybe a little better.
So now I can move forward w/ my mods.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Ray White is one Bad Axx race(Viper)car driver.I witnessed him in action last night.(WOW)I am go to have him race my second favorite car,my C6Z06 and have him beat some C6 Z06 records.Of course,my favorate car is my 2008 Viper.