2008 Gen 3? 3.5? 4?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really hope this dispute gets settled. It isn't that I give a two hoots about what is decided, its just that it is embarrassing that this is an issue for any Viper owner to really give a damn, amusing as it is.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge officially recognizes it as a Gen. IV. Who are we to say otherwise? We never did that before, and I've all four gens. Geezzzzzz.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As I sat in the recently painted Adirondack chair, under the swaying palms outside my historic boutique Hotel on Miami's infamous South Beach, I spied Jessica Alba sauntering towards the perfect sandy spot for a morning rapture with the rays of our favorite yellow orb. I rubbed my tired old eyes, as they appeared to show two lovely apparitions gliding across the sea -moistened sand, visions of loveliness covered, by what I imagined, to be beach robes from an ultra swanky resort, that made my intimate overnight accomodation pale in comparison. Wow, the Martinis the night before were strong, but could the sensous Ms. Alba have a twin sister, or were my blood shot eyes just duplicating my wishes?

As they stopped under an ancient Palm , just a mere 30 ft from my old New England styled seating apparatus, I became quite positive that , indeed, I was seeing twins, and the fresh Bloody Mary in my hand had only had a few sips taken from it, so it was indeed not the culprit . Jessica , or was it her sister, in a slow motion pantomime, unloosed the delicate robe from her supple form and let it drop to the ground below. My intake of breath was enough to **** a coconut off the tree above me, and I hesitated to look for fear they had heard my gasp of pleasure.

Wow, the creature standing before me in the tiniest of bikinis, had me staring like a lovestruck 14 year old after his first kiss, and all I could think of was....................................wait till her sister , of was it Jessica, dropped her covering and enveloped me with the picture of double delight! As her hand moved to undo the sash, I imagined I appeared to them as a young dog, drooling over his anticipated crunchy dog bone, then the robe parted , it dropped, and...............
...................................................geez, oh my god,.....................there in all the flesh , was the body of my grandmother, imitating a Char - Pai with tidbits of fabric barely covering the necessities. Yuck , the face was the same, but.........whoa this must have been a much stronger Bloody Mary than I thought. I knocked over the chair in my hurry to vacate , as a sudden wave of nausea enveloped me and I scampered like a hairy hermit crab back to my hotel, knowing this had to be a dream, and I desperately needed to worship the porcelain god.

Moral of the story:

They may look the same on the outside, but all the work was done underneath and the changes are dramatic. It is definitely a Gen IV !!!!:2tu:

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a side note, that Dodge has never been excited about branding our beloved Vipers with the Gen... labels. Way too close to General Motors, their cross town nemisis.

Anybody want to be a creative hero and come up with a different, and more appropriate method of differentiation for these separate iterations.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

O-M-G Bill~~~you've topped yourself again with another GREAT story!!! I absolutely LOVE reading your posts...how eloquent a writer you are!!! You definitely should write books...you keep your readers on the edge of their seats anticipating what comes next!
Chuck98 definitely is NOT hurting for post counts!!! If we took a poll, who has the MOST posts here on this forum? Does anybody keep track or can tell us? Gen IV it is then~!
~juli

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

O-M-G Bill~~~you've topped yourself again with another GREAT story!!! I absolutely LOVE reading your posts...how eloquent a writer you are!!! You definitely should write books...you keep your readers on the edge of their seats anticipating what comes next!
Chuck98 definitely is NOT hurting for post counts!!! If we took a poll, who has the MOST posts here on this forum? Does anybody keep track or can tell us? Gen IV it is then~!
~juli

To answer your question of who has the most posts...
Chuck has 13429
V10speedluvr and Dodgeviper01 are close with V10speedluvr having 9232 to Dodgeviper01's 9129.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer your question of who has the most posts...
Chuck has 13429
V10speedluvr and Dodgeviper01 are close with V10speedluvr having 9232 to Dodgeviper01's 9129.

Thank you for coming up with that answer quite quickly, must've been a way to look that up? VERY cool that Chuck 98 has the most~~his responses always pertain to the topic at hand. Chad also...and informative as well. Keith and I could, I guess, be called 'post-******'...oh, thank you, Chuck...I see you beat me to it!!! :rolaugh: :rolaugh: :D ~juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But those two guys are ******.

LOL--I was writing my response back, and hadn't seen yours yet...you beat me to the punch~~~tho, most people would say that I also am a 'post-*****'...I'll just say it myself, so others don't have to CHIME in on THAT one!!! Chuck--your posts are funny and informative, as well as Chad's. Keith--you're in 3rd place...you gonna stand for that?!:smirk:
:rolaugh: ~juli

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as this forum, or any other, leave the decision up to the 2008 owners. It only takes a few minutes to add a new category and sub categories.

"..Of the People, For the People, and By the People"

Last edited:

Fyrwulf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer is fairly simple. Each generation of Viper has been coined with a new engine. There isn't much difference style-wise between a Gen 1 and Gen II RT/10 roadster, but they certainly have different engines. Same basic thing here, Gen III and Gen IV look the same but have different engines. I think a new engine and completely redone suspension qualify as a new generation of Viper for the '08+ models, if anything does.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a side note, that Dodge has never been excited about branding our beloved Vipers with the Gen... labels. Way too close to General Motors, their cross town nemisis.

Anybody want to be a creative hero and come up with a different, and more appropriate method of differentiation for these separate iterations.

Series 1,2,3,4?

Spawn 1,2,3,4? (hehe, but not that funny)

Skin 1,2,3,4?

V 1,2,3,4?

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For guys who haven't been too excited about the Gen label, SRT certainly used the terms Gen 3 and Gen 4 freely in the last two issues of Viper Magazine.:D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juli, we all know Chuck be a ***** , post and all, but you..............
you are just a Post Femme Fatale!

:hug2: Bill, I thank you from the bottom of my heart...and love that title, Femme Fatale...Bond Girl...yesssss!!! You made my day, my week, my YEAR, as you always do. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: ~juli

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong everybody! The 08 is a 3.5 irrespective of what Dodge or SRT says.

Gen I - New engine, new chassis
Gen II - New engine, new chassis
Gen III - New engine, new chassis
08 - New engine, same chassis. That makes it Gen III.V

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong everybody! The 08 is a 3.5 irrespective of what Dodge or SRT says.

Gotta say, thats a pretty good arguement... but I'm a fan of the 3.5 designation too, so don't mind me.. :D

Jon

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You left out that us Gen II guys call the cast piston/ABS cars in 2001 and 2002 Gen II.5s. That fits righ in with the 08 being a Gen III.5.

The 2000s? Well let's just mention the red-headed mailman and leave it at that! :D

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have either of you actually driven an '08? If not, perhaps you should hold your judgment so you don't later feel a need to recant a poorly considered conclusion. I own and drive one, after having had one of each of the first 3 generations, and I am telling you from the experience of driving nearly 400 miles in my '08 that it ain't no stinkin' gen. 3.5. It is amazing how easily it passes slower cars at part-throttle (still in break-in mode). But you can feel free to call it a Duesenberg if you want to. Personally, I'm sticking to my own conclusion: the '08 is a gen. 4!!!!!!!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only time a .5 has been used before for Dodge was for the 1-year 96 RT/10 model which basically just straddled between changes, so that doesn't seem appropriate to use for a full-fledged, multi-year product. Plus, with Dodge using Gen IV, it seems to be a slam dunk. In the end, while there is a minor dispute about it now, that will go away over time with Dodge's use and the majority of owners' use of Gen IV. There may be a few holdouts, thinking to themselves "boy am I smart, I call it a Gen 3.5" - but where will you be in a couple more changes to the Viper - are you calling the next one in a few years a Gen IV while the majority call it a Gen V? That will only result in a lot of confusion for people dealing with you, so you might as well drop the 3.5 stuff now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang