2008 QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE on my SSG Viper

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am able to look at my Vipers going back to 1992 and through every generation the handbuilt charcter of the car is evident. I have a few still in the wrapper with no miles and the window sticker still displayed and errrr the panel fit issue's didn't start or get worse in 06 or 08 from my perspective? My other pre owned Vipers were bought with strong owner histories so I suspect they are factory original. I could go around with a camera on each one and find a panel fit or paint issue. Yikes you should see my 97 RT 10.

On my 08 the hood gaps are even on both sides so it can't be aligned. The passenger side fender could be moved but that would cause the gaps to be uneven. The gaps are even and I guess could be moved closer but not by much. It's a handbuilt 85K 600 HP car with 500 cubic inches and 10 cylinders of romping stomping American HP. Years from now at shows the judges will be DEDUCTING points when they are over restored and everything fits perfectly and there is no orange peel in the paint. I know some of you are laughing but it's true. Current muscle cars must be restored to the condition that they rolled off the assembly line for national competition. That includes the correct amount of overspray, orange peel and drips and runs on the undercarriage.

Historically handbuilt classics like the CSX 2000 and 3000 series Shelby AC Cobra's were really, really crappy when they left the factory and were very expensive for their day. Today the small blocks are around 600K and big blocks 850K or higher. When they are restored the imperfections must be duplicated to compete at the National level meets. Boss 429s were built similiar to our Vipers and all the factory imperfections must be duplicated in today's restorations.

That being said if your unhappy you should address it so you can enjpy the car. I don't think your being unreasonable at all. It really is unacceptable. You can't accept lousy panel fit by today by saying it will be OK twenty years from now. I do see the comical nature of it. I just hate to see it detract from you enjpying the car.

I simply have become used to it and don't worry about it. However in my humble car collector opinion you should leave the factory original body panels on the car and see what adjustments and repairs can be made without aggravating yourself too much over what tends to be the personality of the Viper given my experience of presently owning a Vper from each generation this kind of thing comes with the territory. BTW not long ago I looked at two new Ferrari's just for research/fun purposes and there were several fit and finsih problems on both. Good luck.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, I checked my 2008 tonight and it has the same small hole on the driver side sill (in your first picture) but no such hole on the passenger sill so it looks like this is part of the design of the car. I did not see the other issues (sill and hood alignment) that you seem to be experiencing.

Before I picked up my car the trunk lid did not align perfectly with some gap in the panel on one side. My tech noted it and adjusted it and now it looks fine.

Good luck.

There is NO WAY that is the design of the car as it would be on BOTH sides and you would see it on every 06 and 08...If you look on the back of your sill where it sticks out into the rear tub I bet its out further on the drivers side then the pass. side....Probably the same person putting on that part:dunno:Again Bad Quality Control..Also the plastic side vent is pushed into the slot/hole when it should be riding over the top..Going to make some calls today:(.Kevin

Actually, I checked again and I do not have any sill panel alignment issues. It actually is quite level with the other sections near the wheelwell. We probably need some others with 08s or a dealer who has multiple 08s in stock to be able to comment on this.

/Rich

Reaction score
Just so you guys know I have copied this thread to the proper people at the plant and the engineering team so they can track any of these issues. They are greatful for your input and will be looking into what can be improved/addressed in these areas.

MKTAXMAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine is on order and I will get it in April. Now I see that I will have to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I will tell you that the green is absolutely beautiful !!! Good luck :2tu:

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered a GTS Blue from Roanoke 5/07 and my car moved to inspection (i.e., "I" status) in early February. Have paid for the car, and I'm still waiting for a drop-ship delivery to a dealer local to me. I was told that a defect in a body panel is the cause of the delay for several cars, and that new panels have been reordered from Saleen. That's all I've been told. Still waiting....

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey its a US product and not an import so you cant expect too much but I feel for you, especially what these things cost. Guess the Corvettes are not the only ones with issues.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but some small defects are normal for these cars. Overall, the rest of th build is good.
Cars sent to Prefix have some signs of being re-done. Not perfect but just the way it is.

Dan

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but some small defects are normal for these cars. Overall, the rest of the build is good.

Cars sent to Prefix have some signs of being re-done. Not perfect but just the way it is.

Dan

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so you guys know I have copied this thread to the proper people at the plant and the engineering team so they can track any of these issues. They are greatful for your input and will be looking into what can be improved/addressed in these areas.

That is great to hear!

OP
OP
ASPIRATIONS

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE.....I called Chrysler Customer Service on Monday and they were ok and gave me a file number and recorded my problems and said I did have to call my selling dealer which I knew. I also was able to get in touch with a regional Chrysler/Dodge rep who will be coming out to look at my car in about 2 weeks(hes in Denver now) and he seemed really nice and told me not to stress,lol....I dont mind the wait because I will not take it on the road anyway for a few weeks at the least...I will have to get it fixed over here but there is a big Dodge dealer with a high end collision shop so I will probably be in good hands I hope...:omg:
Iam just really pissed the CAAP and my dealer missed big flaws (in my eyes) and now my first ride will be to the dealer/body shop to have it taken apart...... I was told by the customer service women DO NOT TOUCH IT,so I will leave it be..I know my hood CANT be adjusted too much since I have stripes..I will probably just live with it .I also told her a few other people have the same problems on their 08s and I would like my problem to be reported to CAAP...She told me some jibberish that it goes back to product engineering and some other group but who knows..:rolleyes:. Kevin
Gave it a wash before I cover it for a few weeks:
You must be registered for see images attach

PS I love this sticker on my windshield.....

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE.....I called Chrysler Customer Service on Monday and they were ok and gave me a file number and recorded my problems and said I did have to call my selling dealer which I knew. I also was able to get in touch with a regional Chrysler/Dodge rep who will be coming out to look at my car in about 2 weeks(hes in Denver now) and he seemed really nice and told me not to stress,lol....I dont mind the wait because I will not take it on the road anyway for a few weeks at the least...I will have to get it fixed over here but there is a big Dodge dealer with a high end collision shop so I will probably be in good hands I hope...:omg:
Iam just really pissed the CAAP and my dealer missed big flaws (in my eyes) and now my first ride will be to the dealer/body shop to have it taken apart...... I was told by the customer service women DO NOT TOUCH IT,so I will leave it be..I know my hood CANT be adjusted too much since I have stripes..I will probably just live with it .I also told her a few other people have the same problems on their 08s and I would like my problem to be reported to CAAP...She told me some jibberish that it goes back to product engineering and some other group but who knows..:rolleyes:. Kevin
Gave it a wash before I cover it for a few weeks:

PS I love this sticker on my windshield.....

all good news... Im sure they'll get it taken care of..