2008 Viper Went Into Limp Mode

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My previous question is buried above; has anyone determinded the cause of the ''bad injector''?? Was it tested after removal??

Thanks !

daffyduck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No they never said one way or the other.Just said that it was'nt working .

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out driving my 08 SSG tonight and I shifted into 6th and RPM dropped to 1250 at 120Kms and the car bucked a little so threw it back in 5th and then the check engine light come on and into limp mode, Slowed down to a slower speed and stepped on it in 3rd and it bucked like crazy. Let off and went home. Hooked up the scanner and it told me it is the Throttle Actuator Control System Forced Idle, Also have a miss in the engine now as well, I guess it will go to the shop tomorrow.3000 Kms on the car

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my orange conv Saturday decided to go into limp mode. CEL came on and wouldnt go over 2500 rpms. Finally found a dealership today that had a tech. My old dealership(10 minutes away) was a casualty of the 789 closures and can no longer service dodge under warranty, so I had to take the car 2 hours away.

car cranks and will run "normal" for 3 or 4 miuntes and then go into limp mode. 2200 miles on the car. I do recall when it happemed. I had been driving the car a 100 miles, stopped and then got back in it. When I cranked it it misfired and had a roung startup/crank and the CEL came on and a few minutes later it went into limp mode.

maybe I will hear something tomorrow.

J

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
A week ago, I saw another the "bad fuel injector" problem associated with SOME injectors that carry a serial number starting with "72....this one manifesting as a sudded misfire (and poor performance) and fuel-too-rich codes, but not limp mode. It was a SSG 08...with 5,000 miles (shooting the theory that this only occurs early in a Viper's life). The Dodge Tech confirmed the diagnosis and fixed the problem with one new injector that was abailable locally (they are presently taking 3-5 days to arrive after the order is placed).

Although our Gen IV's do not have any "72 series" injectors, I do carry a couple of spares in each of these Vipers.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you let your car sit for some time-they can also stick,sometimes a slight tap on the injector and just running it will fix it- this gas is **** now days

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While we are on the subject...has anyone doccumented a "73..." series injector that also failed?? Just wondering as this was mentioned some time ago, but I do not recalling any specific threads noting same. Thanks in advance.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my orange conv Saturday decided to go into limp mode. CEL came on and wouldnt go over 2500 rpms. Finally found a dealership today that had a tech. My old dealership(10 minutes away) was a casualty of the 789 closures and can no longer service dodge under warranty, so I had to take the car 2 hours away.

car cranks and will run "normal" for 3 or 4 miuntes and then go into limp mode. 2200 miles on the car. I do recall when it happemed. I had been driving the car a 100 miles, stopped and then got back in it. When I cranked it it misfired and had a roung startup/crank and the CEL came on and a few minutes later it went into limp mode.

maybe I will hear something tomorrow.

J[/QUOTEDAMN, I was pretty sure the 08' was going to be my next Viper model, now everybodies coming out of the woodwork with limp problems with low low miles, may have to rethink that one! jmo

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guys- check your Camshaft Position Sensors. If the part number ends in AB, they need to be updated to an AC.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a series of bad injectors in 2008...do a search for the serial numbers.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I said above..."SOME injectors that carry a serial number starting with "72..." have been the few reported as problematic.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving an '08 ACR for the weekend at Willow Springs and it went into limp mode. Track buddies plugged in an scan tool and reset it, ran OK for about 1 minute went back into limp mode tried it again same thing ran OK for a minute so I limped home. Took it to a dealer who knew Vipers and sure enough it was an injector.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No recall...bad injector can be changed under warranty.

Go for an 2008 Viper if you have a shot at one. Gen IV are great cars!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21