2008 Viper Went Into Limp Mode

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With only 104 miles, my orange coupe went into limp mode yesterday. Car will barely get to 2,500 rpm before it starts shaking and jerking. Check engine and low tire pressure indicator lights came on. Came across a couple of previous posts with the similar symptoms for the '08 Viper. I thought no biggie, just needs a new flash for the PCM.

I limped into the dealer this morning and also noticed burning smell coming from the car. A little smoke was coming from the engine compartment on the passenger's side below the valve cover.

I mentioned the updated flash but my car was built on 5/08 and the dealer stated that the software was up to date. After waiting for 5 hours, the service advisor said that the codes pulled from my car showed a misfire in the #4 cylinder. The plug looked good and they have to order a new fuel injector.

The symptoms I experienced when this happenned are exactly what other '08 owners have stated in previous posts. Also had them check the cam sensor. :confused:

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With only 104 miles on the clock you can't be very happy about that. I hope your new viper experience gets better.

OP
OP
D

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my 4th Viper owned to date. I understand that bugs need to be worked out but my main concern is the dealer's dianosis of what the problem is. I want it fixed right the FIRST time.

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with that first time thing.I've found that the dealers are at best guessing.When it comes to the Viper.

V

Venomiss

Since you have a new 08 PM one of the moderators here with all your information.
VIN, address,the works and only they can see it. Lee00blacksilverGTS, kcobean, or CitySnake can help.

They can upgrade you to Viper Owner status while I am guessing you are waiting for your VCA membership to come through. Hopefully the dealership you purchased from filled out all the forms to get it rolling as it does take a bit-around 8 weeks. When you get your VCA membership you could post your question to Herb Helbig on the GrailTrail.

Some other Viper dealerships/techs may have some ideas for you on your problem?

Ever thought about maybe calling Chuck Tator?
I'd mention Mark Jorgensen too but he's on vacation. It's got it's own thread.
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...ed-secretary-mark-jorgensen-out-2nd-11th.html

Last edited by a moderator:

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my 4th Viper owned to date. I understand that bugs need to be worked out but my main concern is the dealer's dianosis of what the problem is. I want it fixed right the FIRST time.

Good luck with the dealer. One of my other toys is a Lamborghini Gallardo. It's takes them 2-3 time to fix even the simplest things right. That's after trailering the car 150 miles one way to get to the dealer. It took them 4 trys to fix my AC. After replacing the compressor, fans and who knows what else they finally found out that an o-ring on one of the AC lines was leaking. It took them 3 trys to fix an oil leak they caused when I took in to have all the fuilds changed out.

Reaction score
Dan,

I want to know the last 8 of your VIN and the last name it is under. I may have a way to help. The injectors are only coming out of National right now and I would also like to get the contact information of the dealer you are working with if possible, name, phone, SA name? I am in California this week but will take the time to help if I can. I just need the info to start, I can make calls Sunday to "some people" but won't likely get parts help till they are back to work on Mon.

104 miles ***** but I'm sure this is a fluke and if not I know they would want to know exactly what was found and determined the issue. The other thing I need to talk with the dealer about is searching for any "un seen" damage before they just throw parts at it.

Please contact me here through a PM since my VPN seems to be unwilling to connect through this hotel. I will do the rest over the phone and get back with you when my kids are done at Disneyland Sunday afternoon.

Hang in there I don't want you to be soured although I know you must be terribly disappointed.

Mark Jorgensen
402-677-2935 cell if you can't wait that long. If my wife answers though just act stupid, don't tell her I gave you the OK or it will be a VERY long week. :lmao:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or show it a miata with it's top down and trunk open

I could've pulled a muscle from laughing so hard. Please refrain from making further jokes like that without prior warning
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
:D:D:D:D:D
:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Great. I have problems with my car and you're making jokes.

You better get used to it. My car can be running fine and they still make jokes about it. But much like with my McViper, they're just jealous of your 08' :D

OP
OP
D

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I did, thanks. He's on vacation but I sent him a PM per his request. BTW - I can take a joke, just trying to make you clowns feel guilty.

Also, thanks to George Farris for his help.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

I want to know the last 8 of your VIN and the last name it is under. I may have a way to help. The injectors are only coming out of National right now and I would also like to get the contact information of the dealer you are working with if possible, name, phone, SA name? I am in California this week but will take the time to help if I can. I just need the info to start, I can make calls Sunday to "some people" but won't likely get parts help till they are back to work on Mon.

104 miles ***** but I'm sure this is a fluke and if not I know they would want to know exactly what was found and determined the issue. The other thing I need to talk with the dealer about is searching for any "un seen" damage before they just throw parts at it.

Please contact me here through a PM since my VPN seems to be unwilling to connect through this hotel. I will do the rest over the phone and get back with you when my kids are done at Disneyland Sunday afternoon.

Hang in there I don't want you to be soured although I know you must be terribly disappointed.

Mark Jorgensen
402-677-2935 cell if you can't wait that long. If my wife answers though just act stupid, don't tell her I gave you the OK or it will be a VERY long week. :lmao:

Wow! Now this is what I call incredible service! Mark, it's great to see your willingness to help even on vacation. People say others may be an asset to the Viper community, but I vote you #1:2tu:

Reaction score
Dan,

I did get a hold of SRT and they are going to work with your dealer to get this fixed ASAP. I have talked with "someone" and they are following up to check out the injector problem you are having. I doubt it is anything more than a random failure and could even have been caused by some bad fuel (from the plants supply?) I will let you know more ASAP.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Thank you Neal...:eek: I love to help, my wife has not been happy with me today though so I better get going to the beach. I will check back later... if she let's me.:D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL - i was thinking the same thing!
how about a **** video? is a video of comp coupes running all out on a race track considered **** to an 08? :rolaugh:

Well..................................waiting for the comp-coupe **** video, BIG!!!! :eater:
(GOOD to see ya back!) So far, our 2008 is fine...it IS a MUCH different experience than the '05...better/stronger...better clutch/tranny/rear end...but yeah, hearing about glitches here and there. Hope yours works out...GOOD for Mark helping you out while he's on vacation...THAT IS SERVICE!!!! THANK you Mark~! :2tu: Now go enjoy yourself! :D ~juli

OP
OP
D

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark! I hope it's nothing serious. I miss my car! I actually put Chevron Super the last time I was out.

OP
OP
D

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just brought her home and the car runs great again. They replaced one fuel injector (cylinder #4) and one tire pressure sensor.

Again - SPECIAL THANKS to Mark Jorgensen AND George Farris!.

daffyduck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same exact thing happen to my 2008 orange coupe build date 05-08.I was driving my car saturday 3-22-09 when out of nowwhere like you said,my car began heisitating and running poorly.It went into the limp mode and the mil began flashing. Luckily i only lived a short distance away and was able to get it home.I accessed the codes p0301 #1 cylinder misfire and p0316 misfire in the first 1000 rpm.Sounds like i have a bad #1 fuel injector.I called Mark at Woodhouse sounds like he's familiar with this problem

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You've convinced me...just ordered a couple of spare 08 injectors to have on hand just in case our orange Coupe decides to go limp :)

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Dan, did you check to see if your JIMMY warning light came on?

If you don't where it is I'll post a picture of its location.

The last guy that went into limp mode had to check his JIMMY light.

daffyduck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they replaced the #1 fuel injector it was bad.Car seems fine now.Mark and Woodhouse took care of me.