2016 Viper ACR and the Nurburgring lap time...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manufacturers will go where they are welcome.

Imagine that Marketing will be sending cars down to COTA for development and bragging rights.

Imagine in the future you will be reading...my self driving car is faster than your self driving car : >)

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
There's not doubt that another track will take up the cause

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
these restriction are only because they had this deadly accident, they have to do something, my guess is they are gonna iron out the most dangerous points of the track and than skip all these nonsens...
they can't keep up with controlled speed restrictions on a track like that, it would go bankrupt within years, so they are gonna think of something to end the nonsens for sure

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a rumor around that the 2016 ACR with extreme aero already did a 7:01 at the Ring. I do not see why they would not allow manufacturers to continue testing. They, more than most, know what they are doing.

orlanderlv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a rumor around that the 2016 ACR with extreme aero already did a 7:01 at the Ring. I do not see why they would not allow manufacturers to continue testing. They, more than most, know what they are doing.

If true that's too bad. I was certain it would be faster.

On another note, good ole Randy Probst recently said of the new Porsche 911 Turbo GT3 RS it was "THE closet you can come to a race car for the street"? Was he beaten by a Viper shaped stick as a child or something? No way in hell the 911 GT3 RS is more of a street legal race car than the new Viper ACR.

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too am a little disappointed with the position Randy has taken with respect to the Viper. If nothing else, it would be nice to see him promoting "home grown" talent over European talent. I realize that there has to be some level of objectivity when he reviews cars, and he shouldn't be praising a particular vehicle just because it is made in the U.S.A., but at the same time, his approach to the Viper, despite the fact that it holds the production lap record at 9 tracks in the U.S., seems anything but objective. Come on Randy, throw the Viper a bone will ya?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Faster?? The current Viper record is 7:12:13. A 7:01 would be 11 seconds faster. If true, that would be an incredible achievement for a car that only has 40 more HP, a tweaked suspension and some additional down force.

On another note, good ole Randy Probst recently said of the new Porsche 911 Turbo GT3 RS it was "THE closet you can come to a race car for the street"? Was he beaten by a Viper shaped stick as a child or something? No way in hell the 911 GT3 RS is more of a street legal race car than the new Viper ACR.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect that the limitations at the N-Ring will be temporary while they sort out and address any existing safety issues. If they did nothing after a tragic accident (which clearly put them on notice of an issue or issues), then this would not be good for them liability-wise. The benchmark function of the Ring is too important to the Ring for the current ban/speed limits to be anything other than temporary. I believe the Ring group already filed bankruptcy once... .

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too am a little disappointed with the position Randy has taken with respect to the Viper. If nothing else, it would be nice to see him promoting "home grown" talent over European talent. I realize that there has to be some level of objectivity when he reviews cars, and he shouldn't be praising a particular vehicle just because it is made in the U.S.A., but at the same time, his approach to the Viper, despite the fact that it holds the production lap record at 9 tracks in the U.S., seems anything but objective. Come on Randy, throw the Viper a bone will ya?

I wonder if he still harbors negative feelings since Ralph called him a couple of years ago....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way a manual transmission will be able to obtain these numbers is to have an electrical or kinetic system fill in additional torque during the dead moments between shifts.
This would also make the cars quicker through the corners as you would not have torque loss in the corners that load and unload the drive train.

Maybe something that could be powered by regenerative forces during braking could be fed back into the power train during shifting times.

Hundreds of up and down shifts cause significant disturbance along the racing line. smoothing these out will produce significantly faster lap times.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Lambo s will out run them all....Go drive a Huracan and you will see what I am talking about....

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The N Ring was/is out of control,they have motorcycles,slow cars,faster cars and race cars all out their at once.It is good they step back and get control of the track before more are injured or killed...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Faster?? The current Viper record is 7:12:13. A 7:01 would be 11 seconds faster. If true, that would be an incredible achievement for a car that only has 40 more HP, a tweaked suspension and some additional down force.

Don't forget the new tires Bob. Kumhos have always stuck like crazy.....though they have "corded" and "chunked" a bit more frequently when I've used them.

Sure would like to see an 8 speed, paddle shifted automated trans as an option in the new ACR.....not sure how many times one shifts during a "Ring Lap", but the time savings would be significant.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Lambo s will out run them all....Go drive a Huracan and you will see what I am talking about....

Spoken like someone who doesn't even set foot on a road course. If you did, you would know how wrong you are.

Viper TA is faster around the track than the Huracan, and I've been at track days where they both ran. The Huracan still has the understeer issues that the Gallardo has, when pushed too hard. It is very fast in a straight line, but that is about it.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Spoken like someone who doesn't even set foot on a road course. If you did, you would know how wrong you are.

Viper TA is faster around the track than the Huracan, and I've been at track days where they both ran. The Huracan still has the understeer issues that the Gallardo has, when pushed too hard. It is very fast in a straight line, but that is about it.

Agree with Nine Ball. Never had any issues beating up on any Lambo or Audi on a track with TURNS in my ACR; and understeer would be the word for how they handle. They just don't turn well in my experience.

Have had some challenges with some Ferrari race cars and the occasional Porsche race cars, which are usually much lighter than the ACR and turn pretty well on tighter tracks or in the wet. Whatever I may lose to them in the tightest turns I can make up in the bigger sweepers and the straights.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I suspect that the limitations at the N-Ring will be temporary while they sort out and address any existing safety issues. If they did nothing after a tragic accident (which clearly put them on notice of an issue or issues), then this would not be good for them liability-wise. The benchmark function of the Ring is too important to the Ring for the current ban/speed limits to be anything other than temporary. I believe the Ring group already filed bankruptcy once... .

Weren't the people hurt spectators and not drivers though? Or is this some other accident? In a certain sense to me that means the track is still "safe" (I have little to no desire to put myself through the experience of driving it hard, nowhere near enough room for error for me). They just need to limit where spectators can be like just about any other racetrack out there.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no other track manufacturers will ship their cars to that tests a car like the nurburgring. Every manufacturer has enough tracks in their own country to test on, there is NOTHING like the nurburgring out there. The closest would be Sebring IMO because of it's roughness. The nurburgring is used for more for development than lap times. You would be more likely to see manufacturers continue to develop suspension setups there than them collectively go to another track.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Though not as prestigious as Nurburgring , the records set at Laguna Seca and also VIR have been getting more press and accolades over the past years. If the monster of Deutschland is shut down for awhile there are places that will cater more to manufacturers , I believe, and a fast run around some of these well known courses will create it's own mystique. Always puzzled me why Road America has not pursued this area of automotive dominance, as the famous track in Elkhart Lake , Wisconsin , begs to showcase top speed runs with it's three long straights - just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GT3 RS is not Turbo. And I'm sure Randy did not include the Viper ACR as it's not even out yet. That being said, the GT3 still resembles modern day race cars more than the Viper. Modern race cars almost all come equipped with paddles and more nannies than you can shake a stick at. Whether that's good or bad depends on your perspective. I personally hate it, but it's still the case. The Viper is more of a race car than the actual race cars.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Though not as prestigious as Nurburgring , the records set at Laguna Seca and also VIR have been getting more press and accolades over the past years. If the monster of Deutschland is shut down for awhile there are places that will cater more to manufacturers , I believe, and a fast run around some of these well known courses will create it's own mystique. Always puzzled me why Road America has not pursued this area of automotive dominance, as the famous track in Elkhart Lake , Wisconsin , begs to showcase top speed runs with it's three long straights - just my humble opinion.

Having driven the Circuit of the Americas during our last Viper Owner Invitational, it would be a great track for running "ring" type laps for comparing modern track cars. Two very long straights, very fast "esses", some fast sweepers and some elevation. Also, the pavement is very smooth and accommodates stiffly sprung track cars, like Viper, very well. Would love to see the new ACR run against the "other" track cars of today on that track.

Dan

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only issue i have with the nurburgring is that when the manufacturers test on it THEY RENT THE WHOLE TRACK OUT so why the hell is it a safety issue? they are professional drivers in these cars too not just average joes. i can definitely see a speed limit set for the public drivers, ive seen so many accidents that couldve been easily avoided

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is absolutely ZERO chance that Dodge ran a 2016 ACR at the 'Ring and no one found out about it. None.
There are people who sit there year round expressly for the purpose of photographing manufacturer's test cars, it's what the do for a living.
The photograph everything that comes on that track by any manufacturer. Not a chance this happened.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only issue i have with the nurburgring is that when the manufacturers test on it THEY RENT THE WHOLE TRACK OUT so why the hell is it a safety issue? they are professional drivers in these cars too not just average joes. i can definitely see a speed limit set for the public drivers, ive seen so many accidents that couldve been easily avoided
The safety issue is more for the spectator's safety I would think. The speed limit restriction was just a knee-**** reaction to the recent spectator death during a professional race. I would tend to believe the R&T rumor source; that, once the publicity settles down, they will have different restrictions depending on the users of the track. However, it might depend on whether they can control spectators on such a tremendously large track.

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just dont get why they wouldnt restrict the spectating areas instead of the cars. i mean the cars not going to go over the fence on a flat straight line, but after a hill or a fast corner i would keep spectators at bay. i mean even if theyre going the speed limit and their brakes fail, they could easily go over or through the fence at a corner

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Nurburgring is so long and is actually a public road, I doubt they could just restrict access to the whole thing and actually enforce that.