250 miles in on my Viper - a few things I don't like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
..............ah, and so many of us remember when floor mats were only an option you could get by ordering through parts, or from NorCal VCA, ha!

LOL. And of course, there was the optional top ... and side curtains that came later. Just like the original Cobra.

21bubba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure many spend a lot of time on this forum trying to learn what they can, but lately that requires sifting through a lot of poor posts, that quite frankly don't reflect very well on Viper owners as a group. Threads are started or ruined by the same instigators, and many others get sucked into it by responding to them, and stooping to an ever-lower level. I'd decided to hold off on my purchase to give SRT a chance to get their act together, and I'm starting to feel the same way about my time and this forum.

Excuse me, do you have any Grey Poupon ?

OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps if you would have phrased your original criticism this way, it would have been taken differently. Your original comment was full of ****** baggery. You're obvioulsy someone who cares less about performance than some others here (when basing the worth of a car). As someone who's driven Lambos, Ferraris, Vettes, Merecedes SLS, I would take my Viper over them for driving experience any day. It means what it means to YOU. No one disputes the improvements made in the Gen V. I love all Vipers. Your opinion is valid just like everyone elses.

LOL you're all big kids here so don't cry if I don't sugar-coat what I say...and I've had plenty of invective flung my way by some of the other members. I will say that this is really the most up-tight car forum I've ever participated in. The GM guys are far more laid back in general. Hell, even non-viper mopar guys and import guys have thicker skin...

My original post is what I think about my Viper so far, and I do not care less about performance; I'm just not willing to compromise on some things. The Gen 5 does not compromise performance for comfort or style - it improves everything across the board substantially. I am not one of those guys who considers stripping a car down to its bones to make it faster some kind of novel approach to improving performance. I want a car that is fully loaded with amenities and unecessary-but-cool features like a nav system, sat radio, cup holders, etc AND is also capable of tearing up just about any track.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Peer, this is the best post you've made in this thread, and I agree with you. Thanks. You are in my region, by the way. Can you make it to a PA or DE Viper event? Lots of good people, and would like to meet you and see your car.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May as well just leave the message blank...ok, just kidding. I'm trying to be objective here since the things I would pick out as a negative are far fewer than the positives.

Stock Floormats
I don't know why SRT decided to include a set of Dart mats with the Viper. They're not even embroidered so you're stuck with LOL-tastic mats in your $120K ride or you pony up another $200-$300 for a nice aftermarket set.

Under-Seat Snake Pit
I highly recommend not keeping anything loose in your pockets because they seem to find a way to fall out and under the seat. The Viper's seats do not fold foward and the fit inside is so tight that it's easy to loose a cell phone, keys or change to space under the seats. I think that letting the seats fold foward would have been nice, and they could have added some kind of storage nook back there too. Luckily my lady friend has skinny arms and was able to retrieve my key fob and cell phone after the Viper tried to eat them.

Lack of Wheel Well Protection
"Let's give a car an awesome paint job and then put super-sticky tires on it that flick every piece of debris on the road up at this paint." Is probably what you'd find in the minutes of SRT's design meeting. I don't think it would have been too gaudy to make optional carbon fiber wheel guards or something removable that can be applied to that area. Even driving a low speeds will cause the tires to flick gravel, pebbles and whatever other crud you roll across, chipping away the paint and making it look dull.

Unclean Entrance and Exits
You don't get into a Viper so much as you "fall" into it, because there is nothing to hold onto that isn't a painted surface. You can hold on but then you'll leave smudges all over the place. Getting out requires a sort of sideways spin followed by a somersault like motion. You can touch the sills, although they do get quite hot and can burn you. I try to wear clean shoes when I drive my car because it's really hard not to scuff them on the inside of the door or under the dash as I enter and exit.

Dead Pedal
The dead pedal is weak. It's too small and it's curved, so you really can't rest your foot on it properly. Luckily it's bolted on and adjustable, so maybe they'll make an aftermarket version that is flatter and has a bit more surface area. I'd buy that.

Non-Lockable Exterior Hood Latch
I really don't like the fact that anyone can pop the hood on my Viper since the exterior hood latch does not lock when the car is locked. Even if popping the hood on a locked viper causes the car's horn to start honking, someone with malicious intent could simply snip the wires to the horn and then proceed to mess with the engine.

MODERATOR EDIT: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ETHNIC SLURS OR GENERALIZATIONS! COMMENT REMOVED.

Fully Electronic Door Locks
No problems with the way they work, except that in a situation where the car is disabled and has no power, you will not be able to open the door or window. You'll be trapped inside...so if you survive long enough for rescuers to come, they'll have to pry the car apart with the jaws of life or something even if the situation is relatively minor.

Extra Hard Trunk Slam Required to Close
The rear hatch does not close if you push it down gently. You really need to slam it to get it to close completely. I don't like having to slam the hatch as hard as I do to close it.

Gawkers
Look, it comes with the territory, but when you have a stryker red viper stopped or parked in a single spot for any length of time people just materialize out of nowhere. I don't have a problem with the lookers so much as I do the touchers. The people that feel the need to press their greasy hands and face onto the window to look inside, or the people who want those extra-close pictures and all but stand on the front spoiler. Maybe it's just me but I'm not at the point where I'd feel comfortable parking my Viper and leaving it unattended while I go do something else like eat at a restaurant or visit someone/someplace.

Seems like a lot of stuff but nothing I listed here is significant enough for me to rate this car as anything less than a 9.5 out of 10. The point I'm making is that after having a chance to evaluate it and drive it longer these nitpicks are the worst gripes I can come up with. The Viper is a great car all-around, and it's surprisingly good for cruising comfortably long distances. Don't know if I'm going to run into any issues later down the line but as of today I am loving every second I get to drive my Viper.

Interesting post PeerBlock. I look forward to hearing more impressions from all Gen V "owners" :)

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferraritoviper---I thought you had an order in for a 2013 with Bill P about a year before the factory started accepting them????

Bill

Yes Smog Dog, I put a small deposit with Bill Pemberton in DEC 2010 when most people said it wouldn't be built, bcos
Bill said it would be built.

He had about a dozen deposits at that time...and I wanted to get mine quickly and at msrp when they were available (you all remember the back and forth about how hard it would be to get one, who had priority, how much over sticker, etc), not knowing the delivery problems and overstock that has ensued today, etc etc.

I Gave Bill my order with added deposit late NOV 2012, with an anticipated (thumb in the air) delivery of MAR 2013. My car was in "I" status over a week ago (whatever that is). I called SRT (the number given on the vehicle tracking url, as I saw no reason to haunt Bill) 48 hrs ago. Was told they would have to get back to me, but nothing yet. Bascially, it is what it is, and I'll get it in due course.

I don't expect to have it for some time, as it will eventually go (hopefully from the plant) to Prefix first...thanks to Bill's guidence. As an aside. was on the F dealer list for almost 18 months before being able to custom order my 2004 Modena...along with a $10k deposit. Basically, good things come to those who wait, or so the saying goes :)

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I threw in the towel on my order and bought Bill's dealer red instead weeks ago...give you guys a lot of credit for having that kind of patience for something like this.

And before u guys jump on peerblock liking his cupholders, it was an option in the Gallardo and my Lamborghini had, yes, a cupholder! I don't see how anyone besides the passenger could use the one in the V though since the driver is so busy shifting and actually driving..

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Smog Dog, I put a small deposit with Bill Pemberton in DEC 2010 when most people said it wouldn't be built, bcos
Bill said it would be built.

He had about a dozen deposits at that time...and I wanted to get mine quickly and at msrp when they were available (you all remember the back and forth about how hard it would be to get one, who had priority, how much over sticker, etc), not knowing the delivery problems and overstock that has ensued today, etc etc.

I Gave Bill my order with added deposit late NOV 2012, with an anticipated (thumb in the air) delivery of MAR 2013. My car was in "I" status over a week ago (whatever that is). I called SRT (the number given on the vehicle tracking url, as I saw no reason to haunt Bill) 48 hrs ago. Was told they would have to get back to me, but nothing yet. Bascially, it is what it is, and I'll get it in due course.

I don't expect to have it for some time, as it will eventually go (hopefully from the plant) to Prefix first...thanks to Bill's guidence. As an aside. was on the F dealer list for almost 18 months before being able to custom order my 2004 Modena...along with a $10k deposit. Basically, good things come to those who wait, or so the saying goes :)

What color are you going with at Prefix?

I am looking at getting mine repainted in the TA Orange... The price ain't cheap!

OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peer, this is the best post you've made in this thread, and I agree with you. Thanks. You are in my region, by the way. Can you make it to a PA or DE Viper event? Lots of good people, and would like to meet you and see your car.

I'll likely show up at some events, though I haven't heard anything from the club president about any "official" viper events. Anyway there's tons of shows going on like every weekend.

PeerBlock, you must be a Republican.

LOL I ain't no liberal that's for sure.

And before u guys jump on peerblock liking his cupholders, it was an option in the Gallardo and my Lamborghini had, yes, a cupholder! I don't see how anyone besides the passenger could use the one in the V though since the driver is so busy shifting and actually driving..

I banned all food and drink from my viper but the cupholders make a handy place to put my cellphone, wallet, keys or whatever I don't want ending up in the void under the seat.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL you're all big kids here so don't cry if I don't sugar-coat what I say...and I've had plenty of invective flung my way by some of the other members. I will say that this is really the most up-tight car forum I've ever participated in. The GM guys are far more laid back in general. Hell, even non-viper mopar guys and import guys have thicker skin...

My original post is what I think about my Viper so far, and I do not care less about performance; I'm just not willing to compromise on some things. The Gen 5 does not compromise performance for comfort or style - it improves everything across the board substantially. I am not one of those guys who considers stripping a car down to its bones to make it faster some kind of novel approach to improving performance. I want a car that is fully loaded with amenities and unecessary-but-cool features like a nav system, sat radio, cup holders, etc AND is also capable of tearing up just about any track.

PeerBlock, you seem like a really nice fellow. Can I be your friend ? Peerblock, where do you go to have your eyebrows shaped ? And I also wanted to ask if you think that it is OK to wear two or more gold chains at the same time if going out to a night club in my Viper ? Also , should I have the Valet park my Viper or do you think I should park it myself so I know his fingerprints are not on the shifter. PeerBlock, also.... should I rev the V10 engine if I see a crowd of people outside the club to make them look at me ? PeerBlock, are you also upset like me that the Viper does not have a huge lighted mirror behind the sun visor so I can check my hair and eyebrows before I go out to a club in my Viper ? PeerBlock, you and I should be friends. Peerblock, people think you are very popular. PeerBlock, you seem like a great guy. PeerBlock, I want to be your friend.......

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow....I have a headache trying to wade through all of this. After reviewing the facts, I vote for Billy P for President. I have had 1 Generation 1 viper, 2 Generation 2 vipers, 2 Generation 3 vipers, 2 Generation 4 vipers ( still have the ACR ) and have been looking at a Generation 5 viper.

I think we all are "rugged individualists" as viper owners. We are not part of the "maddening crowd". We all have strong opinions on which Generation we have and likes and dislikes of other Generations.

I can see where a new Generation 5 owner ( with no prior history of viper ownership ) could have a lesser opinion of the prior Generations.
With that said I think lesson learned. Go to a regional, club or VOI event. Get an idea of the history and people behind the car and its development to the current Generation. The VCA played an integral part in the rebirth of the viper embodied by the Generation 5. Enjoy your car and appreciate the four prior Generation vipers, the car maker, and the thousands of viper owners that made your car a reality.

Now where do I vote for Billy P ?

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see where a new Generation 5 owner ( with no prior history of viper ownership ) could have a lesser opinion of the prior Generations.

Having it is one thing. Making a post basically deriding previous generations (and by extension their owners) is another.
Many people here bought new Vipers in the "bad" old days, supporting Dodge. Safe to say there would be no Gen 5 without us?
Totally unnecessary side comment but very teling about the person who said it.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not impressed that they took "DODGE" out of the name as well, guess it was not a prestige brand to be associated with.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
meh. I found out when insuring it and at registration that its still a "Dodge." Was hoping for the SRT name actually...street racing technology does sound a lot cooler u must admit.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The people who don't get "Viper", will never get... "Viper".

The only difference with Gen-5 is that these people will actually end up owning them. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PeerBlock, you seem like a really nice fellow. Can I be your friend ? PeerBlock, you and I should be friends. Peerblock, people think you are very popular. PeerBlock, you seem like a great guy. PeerBlock, I want to be your friend.......

Spoken like a guy who isn't allowed within 500 yds of a school zone. :leave:

I can see where a new Generation 5 owner ( with no prior history of viper ownership ) could have a lesser opinion of the prior Generations. With that said I think lesson learned. Go to a regional, club or VOI event. Get an idea of the history and people behind the car and its development to the current Generation. The VCA played an integral part in the rebirth of the viper embodied by the Generation 5. Enjoy your car and appreciate the four prior Generation vipers, the car maker, and the thousands of viper owners that made your car a reality.

I think you're stretching this out too far. This thread has morphed from my own personal gripes about the Gen 5 to history lesson.

Having it is one thing. Making a post basically deriding previous generations (and by extension their owners) is another.
Many people here bought new Vipers in the "bad" old days, supporting Dodge. Safe to say there would be no Gen 5 without us?
Totally unnecessary side comment but very teling about the person who said it.

Having a Gen 5 is everything if you are:

a) Posting in the forums designated specifically for Gen V - not "previous gen nostalgia".

b) Talking about your experiences with a Gen 5 viper.

Don't elevate yourself into thinking you personally made the viper, THAT was the people working at Chrysler - not you or any other viper buyer. By buying them you enabled them to continue THEIR project, just as now, clinging to an old car and not buying the current model isn't helping anyone.

Nothing you or anyone else has said about the previous generations has made me reconsider my position that the Gen 5 really is the first viper worth buying (at or near its MSRP)...so if you didn't buy one yet, do it then let's pick up this conversation again...and if you or anyone else bought an older generation viper used, this conversation doesn't apply to you because you did not make that large initial outlay of cash. It's a lot easier to reminisce about your old viper if you got it used for $30-$40K - a price point that would not be unreasonable for what you are getting with a pre-gen 5 viper.

The people who don't get "Viper", will never get... "Viper".

The only difference with Gen-5 is that these people will actually end up owning them. :rolleyes:

Hmm...considering that the Gen 5 didn't give up its "soul" to become what it is now, anyone buying the viper now does most certainly "get it".

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm...considering that the Gen 5 didn't give up its "soul" to become what it is now, anyone buying the viper now does most certainly "get it".

The fact that you would not own nor even consider an earlier Viper proves unequivocally that you certainly do not get what it means to own a "Viper". The soul of the car is what *IS* lost when force-feeding comfort at the expense of performance. The Gen-5 performs, yes... BARELY better than its predecessors, and not up to the past-set bar in some respects, with 7 years more development. It boasts a higher price tag and more comforts. A true Viper approach would be all-out performance, and whatever is left over goes towards comfort. THAT is what it means to be a Viper owner... or at least it used to. If this new car was a 750HP street GTS-R at 100K base with 50K in comfort upgrades as a "SRT/GTS" package layout, we would not be having this conversation.

The thing is, that ALL of the newer Chrysler products have really nice interiors and all of these comforts and then some. The Viper BETTER have them as well considering that SRT tacked on an upcharge that could nearly swallow a new 300 SRT8 just for these "comforts" alone, which also includes all of the same and then some! Something is wrong with the "Viper" picture when you can add 50K+ for electronics, seats, colors, carbon, brakes, and wheels... and the car didnt actually get any faster to speak of or more powerful in the process. You are not better than anyone else because you got more comfort for the price of a second car.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for certain technologies. I have been known to push the limits of tech on everything I can get my developmental hands into, and at spare no expense price points at that. However, I would never slight those with less technology simply because they choose not to have it, and that is because I get what it means to own a Viper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that you would not own nor even consider an earlier Viper proves unequivocally that you certainly do not get what it means to own a "Viper".

Oh, I'd consider an older viper at about 1/2 the price they were trying to sell them for. They were not $100K cars by any stretch of the imagination, which is why only an imaginative few bought them. Talking about a Gen 5 when you obviously don't own one and probably haven't even seen on in person just makes you look like a fool.

The soul of the car is what *IS* lost when force-feeding comfort at the expense of performance. The Gen-5 performs, yes... BARELY better than its predecessors, and not up to the past-set bar in some respects, with 7 years more development. It boasts a higher price tag and more comforts.

Right, nobody who has driven a Gen 5 and an older viper has suggested that any of the "character" that older vipers had was lost. Motortrend just showed how a base SRT Gen 5 was able to hang with a $300K SLS Black Series. Don't know how well an older viper would fair, but I'd say the current generation is not "falling behind" by any means.

A true Viper approach would be all-out performance, and whatever is leftover goes towards comfort. THAT is what it means to be a Viper owner... or at least it used to.

Ohhh, we don't get it but YOU do.

No, that's what it means to be someone who is confusing a supercar with a weekend track whip. Dodge always wanted the viper to be more than it was; they just didn't have the operational budget to make that happen so they OPTED to focus on performance rather than splitting it. It had nothing to do with your ridiculous supposition of what a viper is, and now that SRT has better leadership they were able to produce the car they wanted to all along.

Dont get me wrong, I am all for certain technologies. I have been known to push the limits of tech on everything I can get my developmental hands into. However, I would never slight those with less technology simply because they choose not to have it, and that is because I get what it means to own a Viper.

I will lose sight of those who can't keep up - you either adapt and evolve or get left behind. The Gen 5 is TODAY'S viper and the cars available in its price range are highly competitive, many of which will blow the doors off of older gen Vipers. If you wanted a time machine you should be posting on the DeLorean forums.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've invested far more in new Vipers than you have pal. Anyway, one thing has been certainly proven here.
You can buy a Viper, but you can't buy class.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Talking about a Gen 5 when you obviously don't own one and probably haven't even seen on in person just makes you look like a fool.

I am going to give you a pass since you are new... but you REALLY need to figure out who you are talking to before you start typing. I have forgotten more about Vipers since my morning coffee than you will ever learn. You are a NEW Viper owner, and are trying to explain how the world works to decade long+ Viper owners, many of whom have pumped FAR more money into this market than you, and have lived the experience. You should take a seat and stop talking.

All you are doing is proving exactly what many of us feared with the new type of "owner" this car is going to draw. God help us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21