3R-Racing Qualifies 2nd, 3rd, 11th, and 17th for Road Atlanta

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subject: 3R-Racing Qualifies 2nd, 3rd, 11th, and 17th for Road Atlanta

September 23, 2004
Immediate Release

3R-Racing Qualifies Second, Third, Eleventh and Seventeenth for Road Atlanta

Braselton, Georgia - 3R-Racing drivers Phil McClure, Tommy Archer, Tim Wiens and Rob Foster qualified second, third, eleventh and seventeenth respectively for round nine of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series race to be run tomorrow.

Phil McClure, piloting the number 73/Aggregate Industries/3R Corvette, qualified in second place for tomorrow's 50-minute race with a time of 1:27.958 and speed of 103 mph. "I am very happy with the qualifying time and position. I really didn't think I would go that fast. It might have had a tenth or so left in it, but when I went back out after setting my fast time the track was really slick. The car is handling great and if it is this warm tomorrow, I am expecting to have a really good day."

Tommy Archer, who is currently second in the GT driver's standings with 193 points, qualified his number 22/c3controls/ Whelen Engineering/3R Viper in third position with a time of 1:28.008. "We have been working on the handling all week and the car is better than it has been. Third is a great starting position, the Galati Audi is 10 places behind me, with the starts they get I hope to run and hide before he can catch me. Third is our second best qualifying effort of the year. I have my teammate Phil to help me upfront so we are looking forward to a good day on Friday."

Viper teammate Tim Wiens, driving the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/3R Viper, qualified in eleventh place with a time of 1:29.363. "The car felt really responsive. I really had no drama in qualifying. I wanted to take care of my tires and focus on the race tomorrow. The weight of the Viper combined with the heat will tend to use up a lot of rubber and I did not want to waste that doing laps in qualifying. I am looking forward to a top ten finish tomorrow."

Running his bright lime green number 71/LTI Contracting/Foster Motorsports/3R-Viper, Rob Foster qualified for his first World Challenge race of the year in seventeenth position with a time of 1:30.434. "We had a tough start to the weekend, I had a motor let go the first few laps of practice on Tuesday. The 3R guys did a great job to change it and then a brake sensor sidelined us that afternoon. Once we got going on Wednesday the car really progressed. In qualifying I kept hitting a lot of traffic when I had a good lap going. The car is handling great. There is a lot more left in the car so I am looking towards a competitive race tomorrow."

The race will be run tomorrow starting at 3:55 p.m. and televised on Speed Channel September 26th at 1:00 p.m. eastern time.

Speed GT Top 10 Road Atlanta Qualifiers:
1. Max Angelelli Cadillac 1:27.734
2. Phil McCLure 3R Corvette 1:27.958
3. Tommy Archer 3R Viper 1:28.008
4. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 1:28.013
5. Robin Lydell Porsche 1:28.317
6. Leighton Reese Corvette 1:28.398
7. Lou Gigliotti Corvette 1:28.737
8. Johnny O'Connell Cadillac 1:28.829
9. Michael Culver Porsche 1:28.875
10. Bob Woodhouse Viper 1:29.101
11. Tim Wiens 3R Viper 1:29.363
17. Rob Foster 3R-Viper 1:30.434

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62