+ 50 HP dealer upgrade

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhere I have read about a 50 HP dealer upgrade for the the new 08 Viper. Any truth to it? If so, what does it consist of and how much is it?

Reaction score
More than likely the option will be to install the Belanger headers and exhaust, they are said to add 50-60 hp!

We have 12 sets on order for our first round of delivered 08' Vipers :D

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is true, I'm wondering if Belanger is going to make these for Dodge, as they are supposed to be "MOPAR" parts.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be very wary of that upgrade. Belanger claims 50 hp with their headers and exhaust on an SRT, but those who have dynoed it, say that it provides an extra 10hp or so. That's a far cry from the claimed 50.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a thread about this a while back...the diff, is that the new heads breath so much better, but because of the fed restrictions for the new cars, the exhaust is less capable too meet noise and emissions....

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a thread about this a while back...the diff, is that the new heads breath so much better, but because of the fed restrictions for the new cars, the exhaust is less capable too meet noise and emissions....
So if I understand correctly, headers and exhaust will let the new heads breathe to their potential that is currently being held back by the EPA restrictions. Would an additional computer flash be required since the air flow is increased both ways? Or would the headers and exhaust be plug and play without additional work?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I understand correctly, headers and exhaust will let the new heads breathe to their potential that is currently being held back by the EPA restrictions. Would an additional computer flash be required since the air flow is increased both ways? Or would the headers and exhaust be plug and play without additional work?

That question I will leave to Mark from Woodhouse, or from the engineers on the 19th

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a set of the 08 Belanger headers and the Belanger sidepipe exhaust kit with the high-flow cats. I ordered both from Jon B at Partsrack. I asked your same question and Jon responded that this is a plug and play upgrade and no tuning is required because the ECU will adapt after about 500 miles or so to the new flow parameters. I also recently contatced my dealer's Viper tech who is very knowledegable and he confimed this.

That being said, it is theoretically possible that an ECU reflash--even standing alone--could yield some additional hp/tq gains but given other posts on this board it seems unlikely that this type of upgrade (like VEC3) will be immediately available when the 08s arrive. Evidently the new CAN-based ECU system is harder to modify.

/Rich

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That question I will leave to Mark from Woodhouse, or from the engineers on the 19th

BTW Pa Viper --

Would you mind posting this question on the SRT Chat thread? As it is I already posted over half the questions on that thread and am feeling a little like a post hog.:) Thanks.

/Rich

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW Pa Viper --

Would you mind posting this question on the SRT Chat thread? As it is I already posted over half the questions on that thread and am feeling a little like a post hog.:) Thanks.

/Rich

Rich- I think you are posting your questions on the wrong thread...read the first post again or just go to the SRT engineers section.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich- I think you are posting your questions on the wrong thread...read the first post again or just go to the SRT engineers section.

Smog Dog --

Sorry, my post wasn't clear; what I meant to ask is that Pa Viper (or anyone lese other than me) post the questions relating to the +50 hp upgrade on the upcoming SRT chat thread as the engineers may be willing to share some info about the performance of this package.

/Rich

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock Viper headers flow very well. Unless you get a full exhaust package incl headers all the way to the exhaust tips, hi-flow filters and a Vec 3 or Vec 4? or a Flash, I dont think you will come anywhere near a 50 hp increase.
I will say this, w/ the Gen 4 making more power higher in the rpm range, the exhaust becomes more of a restriction in that area, so the benefit from increasing exhaust alone may have more of an affect on the Gen 4 than the Gen 3, but I still (while not scientific) think a 50 hp gain from adding headers alone is poppycock...:bleh:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smog Dog --

Sorry, my post wasn't clear; what I meant to ask is that Pa Viper (or anyone lese other than me) post the questions relating to the +50 hp upgrade on the upcoming SRT chat thread as the engineers may be willing to share some info about the performance of this package.

/Rich

Rich- I'm sorry my post isn't clear either. I'll try again. You have posted no questions on the thread which will be seen by the engineers. That thread is on the forum titled SRT Engineering Q/A Area. Your questions are posted in the forum titled SRT 10 and SRT 10 Coupe discussions. Go back to the start of the thread where you are posting and read the first one again. Chris links you with the correct thread. The same thing happened to others the last time we had the opportunity to speak with the engineers.

Reaction score
To clairify, the new Belanger headers and exhaust have been tested on the new engine by DCX and Mclaren and the gains are real. The headers needed to be actually "detuned" to stay within the uasable parameters of the new PCM to make sure there would be no issues that prevent it from being a true "plug and play" system. If I did not believe this information the last thing I would have done is order 12 sets of them ;-)

Reaction score
The headers can be built to scavenge so well with the new heads that the stock PCM cannot calibrate for it so they detuned the ability to make it a safe bolt on with no other needed mods.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what the rwhp will be stock on these '08s? Then it would be nice if you guys could do a before and after to see the power increase.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headers can be built to scavenge so well with the new heads that the stock PCM cannot calibrate for it so they detuned the ability to make it a safe bolt on with no other needed mods.

Interesting info, thanks for posting. Mark, what kind of gains are you estimating for customers who are interested in this package? Lou Belanger estimated the gains at 40-50 hp for the full Belanger system (headers, exhaust, cats). I would personally be happy if I got a 30 hp flywheel gain from the package on my 08. Is that realistic?

Smog Dog -- thanks for clarifying, instead of me reposting all my questions in the SRT/engineering forum, i will ask Chris Marshall if he can simply transfer what I have posted in the SRT10 forum to the other forum.

/Rich

Last edited:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With this upgrade, simply bolt on, it would put on considerable hp at the fingertips of anyone. Hope that this is true. It will make a large difference over an already fantastic car.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what the rwhp will be stock on these '08s? Then it would be nice if you guys could do a before and after to see the power increase.

With numbers around 614 being seen on the engine dyno, I think we will be seeing 540 at the rear tires. 525 if they forget to lap the valves properly.

Reaction score
Interesting info, thanks for posting. Mark, what kind of gains are you estimating for customers who are interested in this package? Lou Belanger estimated the gains at 40-50 hp for the full Belanger system (headers, exhaust, cats). I would personally be happy if I got a 30 hp flywheel gain from the package on my 08. Is that realistic?

Smog Dog -- thanks for clarifying, instead of me reposting all my questions in the SRT/engineering forum, i will ask Chris Marshall if he can simply transfer what I have posted in the SRT10 forum to the other forum.

/Rich

The gains will be real and I believe the numbers will be much more than 30 hp. So for the money it will be a great addition to an already potent car. I doubt any mods available in the near future will be as satisfying or cost effective.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gains will be real and I believe the numbers will be much more than 30 hp. So for the money it will be a great addition to an already potent car. I doubt any mods available in the near future will be as satisfying or cost effective.

Thanks for the feedback.

/Rich

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this Mopar/Belanger system legal for the street? Does it have cats? Can the headers be connected to the stock cats & side pipes?

The '08 stock side pipes seem to sound so good, I'd be happy with just a 15-20 hp bump from the headers alone, and only 'slightly' louder sound by keeping the stock side pipe set up.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With numbers around 614 being seen on the engine dyno, I think we will be seeing 540 at the rear tires. 525 if they forget to lap the valves properly.

That sounds a bit high for stock expectations. I think the 'typical' '03-'06 stock rwhp was about 440-445, that would indicate about 13.5% drivetrain loss (with the '06 510hp measurement). So if the '08s truly do produce 614hp, I would expect about 531 rwhp, or 519 rwhp, if the engine hp is closer to its rated 600hp.

Reaction score
Is this Mopar/Belanger system legal for the street? Does it have cats? Can the headers be connected to the stock cats & side pipes?

The '08 stock side pipes seem to sound so good, I'd be happy with just a 15-20 hp bump from the headers alone, and only 'slightly' louder sound by keeping the stock side pipe set up.

You will be able to get the headers alone or the complete exhaust with cats. The first set of cats are gone with the entire exhaust though (I believe) so not sure about how different states will veiw this change. I would think that with just the header swap you will pick up that at least since the stock exhaust will flow better than the stock gen3 cars.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My invoice from Belanger Headers for both the 08 headers and the Belanger sidepipe exhaust kit states "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" but my understanding from Jon B and Lou Belanger is that the system will not throw engine codes unlike the Mopar 3'' race exhaust system.

I ordered the parts from Jon B and I believe the cost -- with a VCA discount -- was a little under $3,000 for the headers and a little under $1,000 for the side pipe exhaust kit with high flow cats.

Hope that helps.

/Rich

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PartsRack has several 2008 Belanger systems in production, and we can offer them with / without a cat back; with/without cats; with/without Jet-Hot coated tips; Muffler choices Mild to Wild; And we might even take your Viper-take-off exhasut system IN TRADE !!

As Belanger's #1 Viper vendor, we can even offer most of the same options on other years of Vipers as well. Thank You.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PartsRack has several 2008 Belanger systems in production, and we can offer them with / without a cat back; with/without cats; with/without Jet-Hot coated tips; Muffler choices Mild to Wild; And we might even take your Viper-take-off exhasut system IN TRADE !!

As Belanger's #1 Viper vendor, we can even offer most of the same options on other years of Vipers as well. Thank You.

JonB, how would they hook up to the stock exhaust? cut out the front cats and weld in place a reducer flange? or different?