700 HP Gen IV Viper?

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok - here we go, let the rumors begin! I am no expert and do not have any inside information but I received this info via e-mail from a friend, I have no idea who it was addressed to either - it could be BS but could be true also - thought it was worth a post......

:2tu:

The following was posted on an inside GM news website and has not been denied by Chrysler officials. In fact, most of the info had been leaked in bits and pieces this past year through various websites..

"I've received a couple of key leaks from inside DCX regarding the upcoming generation IV Viper. The first bit of info revealed that the next generation Viper will be powered by an 8.4 liter multi-point injection V-10 producing around 700 HP. That's right, 700 HP. I've been told that an engineering prototype has dyno'ed at about 720 HP in the SRT labs within the last few months. You're probably wondering when we will see this beast. Well, word has it that Conner Avenue Assembly Plant (CAAP) will stop building generation III coupes and convertibles next summer. The final day of production for the '06 model year will be Thursday August 31, 2006. CAAP will be closed 123 days starting Friday September 1, 2006 and will reopen Tuesday January 2, 2007 for production of model year '08 cars. There will not be a model year '07 for the Viper. All this means that we should be getting a peek at the upcoming snake sometime during the '06 car show season. "

And…………..more on the Firepower.

The Firepower! (and it's new name) are to be based off the Viper ZC platform and will allow the non-recurring engineering costs associated with platform development and manufacturing to be divided across a greater amount of sales than the Viper alone can provide. DCX is aware of the problems associated with the launch of the Crossfire and the way it was overpriced and vowed at SEMA to avoid this mistake with the Firepower!. They are targeting C6 Corvette pricing for the Firepower! and see the Firepower! as a direct competitor to the 'Vette while the Viper will reestablish it's performance lead.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont hold your breathe on DC doing it

I wouldn't make blanket statements you'll "potentially" have to eat later ;) No idea what's to come, but I would expect changes in the future to the Viper platform if DC wishes to re-establish their "King of the Hill" status. You don't think they want to give it up that easy do you?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, trust me i hope im wrong. I just have ZERO faith in that company anymore. too many let downs in the past few years.

DC...PLEASE prove me wrong

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Makes good business sense to share the platform and better leverage their manufacturing capital expenditures. Also, the strategy of having the Firepower compete against the C6 or C7 Vette makes good sense too...divide and conquer...Firepower vs. C6/7 and Viper vs. Z06. That way the Viper remains exclusive versus the Z06 which is still a Vette with higher production numbers. Obviously, the Firepower and Viper being different cars and their individual production numbers less than the Vette's makes both the Firepower and Viper more exclusive. INTERESTING. 700 HP and a possible new killer design and I may trade my GTS....MAYBE. :smirk: And IF they build it it better show up at Le Mans and kick asp and prove it's dominance. Don't want a poser.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems silly to me to just have the coupe for one year. makes me wonder why they even had the coupe at all. :confused: honestly i really like the new coupe and i wish they keep it for at least more than one year.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We can all hope.

The 700 hp is great if they make the other necessary changes, like a real rear end, forged pistons and rods, roll bar, adjustable suspension, etc.

I'll order one.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don, trust me i hope im wrong. I just have ZERO faith in that company anymore. too many let downs in the past few years.

DC...PLEASE prove me wrong

So what's all the "let downs"?
Have a Gen3 in your garage?
The Gen4 should carry on...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
700 Horsepower? They are going to have to do better than that... by double... to get me to upgrade. :eek: :smirk: :eek:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was seeing in my crystal ball. So its confirmed!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget all the z06/fgt comparisons... I want to see DC take a shot at VW... err, I mean Bugatti. All the press on the Veyron is making me sick. How about a rough and crude n/a 1000HP with no traction controls and cupholders (actually, I'd appreciate a cupholder, but I'm just a p*$$y that way). :D

Remember the days when the car press would just drop their jaws and wonder "What the H3LL were they thinking?" Heck, ford and gm have porsche/ferrari compettors... I want to aim higher.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
700 Horsepower? They are going to have to do better than that... by double... to get me to upgrade. :eek: :smirk: :eek:

Then I am betting you will not be upgrading amytime in the next 20 years.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"The first bit of info revealed that the next generation Viper will be powered by an 8.4 liter multi-point injection V-10 producing around 700 HP"

You left out with a paxton S/C.... :cool:

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If DC builds a 700hp Viper I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before they show up at my front door looking for my deposit check and my left nut. :shocked:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BS meter off scale!Add a couple of cubes and gain 200 HP NA in a street production motor? GTS Bruce

Remember that the SRT Carbon was producing 625 HP (and supposedly very underrated at that) and that was on the same 8.3 liter engine in the current Gen III. Built by Dodge, naturally aspirated. Should be interesting to see how all these rumors prove out in real life...

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Nevada newsletter, hmmm. I was wondering who leaked the "big" news and got DCX so mad.
That email just confirmed the rumors.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
seems silly to me to just have the coupe for one year. makes me wonder why they even had the coupe at all....i really like the new coupe and i wish they keep it for at least more than one year.

WHY? D-C (being the unresponsive behemoth they are) listened to our demands and built it for us.....Personally, I hope the SRT-C is a 1-year collectible.

By mid '07 I should have enough credits on my D-C Visa card to make a down payment on that Gen-4 700HP Hemi-head Bugatti look-a-like. Then I'm putting in 4:11 gears and buying stock in a tire factory. I'm stockpiling gasoline in 55 gal drums NOW while its only $2.25/gal. Or, maybe I'll be lucky and they'll offer the coasting 10-8-6-4 cyl option to save gas. Call it a VEC-10 maybe?

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"I'm stockpiling gasoline in 55 gal drums NOW while its only $2.25/gal"

You too JonB, I thought I was the only one doing that... :laugh: