708 cam

jordan01GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been thinking about putting a 708 in my 01' gts, looking at the specs the only difference between it an the 01' can is the valve overlap, is that what makes the difference in the way the car runs/ idles?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup.

another thought:
ive heard of a few gen2.5 guys switching to the 708, i wander if any have dyno'd before after?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are much better cams than the 708. if you are going to go thru with all the work/costs of doing a cam...put a better one in.

call greg good and talk to him about it. see what he says. 713-290-1103

tell him what your goals are for power and mods.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are much better cams than the 708. if you are going to go thru with all the work/costs of doing a cam...put a better one in.

call greg good and talk to him about it. see what he says. 713-290-1103

tell him what your goals are for power and mods.

My thoughts exactly! For the money there is much better options.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg can give you some great Comp Cam profile recommendations that you can look at on their on-line lobe catalogue based on your specific set-up. Expect to upgrade your springs at a minimum as well. ROE sells a CompCams spring upgrade that is good for up to .600 lift without head modification. Custom grind from CompCams takes a week and is under $600.00 with shipping. Works with the stock timing chain and gears too (single bolt design). Cam, springs, gaskets you are at $1k not including doing any head work (as long as its off I might as well....you know the drill)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But ... if you are mostly interested in the car sounding like it has a race cam in it - the 708 scares off the vette guys pretty quick. There higher hp cams around and not much of a performance increase with the 708 unless you add rockers, pushrods, springs etc. But, the 708 camshaft is a screaming deal at around $300(?) as compared to others at triple the price. The rumble of my Roe sc'd '01 is awesome.

If I had to do timing cover work on my stock Viper I would upgrade to the rumbly 708 for a few hundred bucks. My 2000 Paxton ACR runs sooo smooth that it's difficult to believe that it has any modifications at all!

It may be the Venom spoiler, but my Roe sc'd highly modified 01 rumbles, sounds like a race machine and gets as much as 1.8mpg better mileage than my Paxton/exhaust stock 2000 ACR.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't the 708 also work fine with the factory PCM? I would guess that a custom grind would also require a VEC/SCT to properly tune the car. I have thought about the same mod on my 01 GTS.

martyb

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ted, i had 40K miles with a 708 cam and can tell you for sure, there are MUCH better sounding cams available for our cars...the 708 is TAME sounding. wait till you hear tonys

like tony said, its easy for us to spend your money but give a call to greg good and see what he says. the heads are pretty dang easy to do when you are that far into the motor, its one of those "might as wells"

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about putting a 708 in my 01' gts, looking at the specs the only difference between it an the 01' can is the valve overlap, is that what makes the difference in the way the car runs/ idles?

Part of the smoother idle can also be attributed to the high bleed down lifters that are part of the 2000 + cam package.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New parts are always a good idea in an older engine, if you can afford that much money.

The rockers are a good idea for a power increase. You'd need to upgrade the pushrods as well.

I wouldn't spend the money for lifters unless they are really old or show signs of damage.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys with blowers or turbos, the last thing you want is a cam with lots of overlap. All that does is blow the fuel-charge out the exhaust.

Ask Greg about that. This is why there are "blower cams".

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not a lot of difference at lower boost levels. At higher boost levels Jerome is correct and there is significant power losses with significant overlap.

Of course there are advantages to higher overlap cams if you want to lower the "effective compression ration" or perhaps move the hp higher into the rpm range.

Ted

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a lot of difference at lower boost levels. At higher boost levels Jerome is correct and there is significant power losses with significant overlap.

Of course there are advantages to higher overlap cams if you want to lower the "effective compression ration" or perhaps move the hp higher into the rpm range.

Ted

Correct Ted

Glad to see some other info like this coming out too.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As plum said. Call Greg good and get one of his cams. I had one and it was nasty.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
there are so many threads about cams on here but i have never seen any before and after dyno s on here with cams....does anyone one have ##s on these cams (all) or some????

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are so many threads about cams on here but i have never seen any before and after dyno s on here with cams....does anyone one have ##s on these cams (all) or some????

I agree, I'm thinking of going cam/heads but mostly would like to see what gains were made with cam only.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonychicken