900 mile drive

Elohim1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be driving my 03 to trade for a 08. Distance is about 900 miles one way.

I have only put 100 miles on my 03 since I bought it a short while ago.

Are these comfortable for this distance or can I plan on being sore ?

Thanks

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my ACR 725 miles the day I picked it up, stopping only for fill ups. Not sore at all, the seat was a very comfy place, but the only issue was that there was very little storage space to keep anything in place (ie. phone, drink, snack) whilst in transit.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factors such as exhaust sound, tires, and suspension play a role in over all comfort. I have driven mine close to 500 miles in one sitting, and over 1000 miles on a weekend. I was fine and no where remotely close to sore. The only time I have been sore was after a weekend HPDE. My neck was really feeling it over the next few days :D

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Being a large guy...(6'3" and 250 lbs) it is probably not as comfortable overall for me as it would be for someone of slighter stature but still remarkably comfortable anyway. My biggest issue for long travel is lack of cruise control. Sure wish someone made a quality add-on unit for the Gen IV Viper. All in all, an amazing machine. By far the best Viper of all the ones I have owned. And the most attention grabbing as well.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove 600 miles round trip 2 weeks ago. 300 miles in non ACR, 300 in ******** ACR. 12 hr day.
I was sore for 2 days and most of that had to do with the ACR LOL.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At top speed, that is only about 4 1/2 hours. : >)

Seriously, not a big deal in a Viper. Bet you enjoy every minute of your ride. (both ways).

Great way to explore all the differences between Gen III and IV.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being a large guy...(6'3" and 250 lbs) it is probably not as comfortable overall for me as it would be for someone of slighter stature but still remarkably comfortable anyway. My biggest issue for long travel is lack of cruise control. Sure wish someone made a quality add-on unit for the Gen IV Viper. All in all, an amazing machine. By far the best Viper of all the ones I have owned. And the most attention grabbing as well.

Yes, that part is super annoying about the lack of cruise control. Sometimes you want to stay below a certain speed to avoid fines. They should have included it and called it a pit lane speed limiter... ;)

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good one!!!!:2tu:
Yes, that part is super annoying about the lack of cruise control. Sometimes you want to stay below a certain speed to avoid fines. They should have included it and called it a pit lane speed limiter... ;)

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My friend and I just put five thousand miles on a sapphire blue Viper in the last week. 800 horsepower and stiff Springs and shocks. From deep in Canada to past Las Vegas. To the Silver State classic challenge. and then back home. 2 of the days were 1800 miles each. it didn't seem that bad, I got out to stretch a couple times that's about it.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Flew in ft lauderdale, drove home 1200 miles with a cammed up 03. Nice drive, but should of never bought the car. It was not as described on ebay, never again.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flew in ft lauderdale, drove home 1200 miles with a cammed up 03. Nice drive, but should of never bought the car. It was not as described on ebay, never again.

Would like to hear the details on that, it's the chance of getting screwed over that keeps me off of ebay for any big $ purchase.

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my wife and i did 2700 miles in six days coming back from Charlotte NC to CA after last year's VOI in our 06 vert, no problem and we are still speaking !
In fact she said it was so comfortable that she convinced me to get my new (to me) 2010 ACR Vooodoo with 560 miles a month ago :))

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I drove home around 750 miles when I bought my 04 earlier this year. I split the driving duties with my brother on the way home around 2/3 1/3. Picked it up in Gulfport, swapped with my brother at Memphis, and then swapped back at St. Louis for the final leg home to Kansas. The cruise complaint and pedal placement was my biggest issue. I wanted the pedals all the way back for cruising to make it easier on my ankle for the gas (had to keep my toes pulled back if I was too close), but when I would have to clutch around town the throw on the clutch pedal just felt way too long and like I couldn't push it all the way down without sliding down in the seat. My back was a little sore and my legs were just tired from sitting in the same position for so long. I really like the seats though, they wrap me nicely and are pretty comfy.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my wife and i did 2700 miles in six days coming back from Charlotte NC to CA after last year's VOI in our 06 vert, no problem and we are still speaking !
In fact she said it was so comfortable that she convinced me to get my new (to me) 2010 ACR Vooodoo with 560 miles a month ago :))

The more important question: does she have a sister and is she single? :D

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sore? No.
Exhilerated, out of breathe, a few speeding tickets, an ear to ear grin? Hell Yes!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be driving my 03 to trade for a 08. Distance is about 900 miles one way.

I have only put 100 miles on my 03 since I bought it a short while ago.

Are these comfortable for this distance or can I plan on being sore ?

Thanks

I drove my 03 about 350 miles home when I picked her up. Only time I had ever driven a Viper except at the SRT Experience. It was a great trip. You'll be fine. I too, LOVE the seats in both the Viper, and my SRT8 Charger. Most comfy seats I've ever sat in.

Hope you didn't take too much of a bath on the quick switch.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everytime you go downhill, take your right foot off the gas and stretch it in multiple directions. I learned this lesson the hard way once. Other than that a Viper is a great road tripping car.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ankle got sore because of the seating position. Other than that if it had cruise control I would have been fine. Flew into Houston and drove it straight back to KS. I think it was about 700 miles or so.

Mine had a blower and the mopar 3" catless exhaust. It was a little loud at times but over all I was fine. Even got caught in a nasty thunder storm downpour in Oklahoma

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets perhaps look at this another way.

For most people to get the opportunity to drive a Viper at all, let alone a 600 mile road trip would be the thrill of a lifetime.

Guess we get jaded after owning our first one : >)

Enjoy your ride. Bring along some tunes...

rext

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first Viper was a 99 I bought in Chicago. It was a great car but needed tires and they were out of balance. Rough and slow coming home.About six hours back to Lexington. That was after the drive up to get it in the same day! My second Viper,an '06,I flew into Orlando and drove home.About 12 hours. It still had the runflats on it. You get a whole new appreciation for good tires when you drive that far on hard,loud runflats! Speeding ticket before I got out of the state!! Drove back the same Sunday as Daytona 500 so at least I had that to listen to. My butt hurt on that one and the lack of cruise control is my only complaint. Other than that, happy as can be.

neilsfishing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drove 500miles in my old 2002 ACR no prob, got my 09 ********* ACR and have drove 120 miles oooh the extra BHP driving on pilot cups in the cold oooh loved every bit stunning you lot from over the pond love your cruise control, our roads arnt long enough

OP
OP
E

Elohim1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well , I did about 800 miles in the 03. It was absolutely amazing !
I even went thru some very heavy rain. The kuhmo tires did quite well.

Way more comfortable than my Honda ridge line.

Looking forward to getting the gen 4 tomorrow.

F

FrgMstr

First one I bought I drove it from Massachusetts to Dallas, second one I bought from Minneapolis to Dallas. Two great drives. DO IT!

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one with a lumbar curve in my spine?? I picked up my Viper in Vegas and drove it north to Edmonton, Alberta. I was bloody near crippled by the time I hit Montana. The seats are like a reverse lumbar scoop in them, it's messed up. 10$ square throw pillow from Wal-Mart to put behind my back made it amazing though. Looking to get some lumbar support added to my seats at an upholstery shop this year hopefully.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Am I the only one with a lumbar curve in my spine?? I picked up my Viper in Vegas and drove it north to Edmonton, Alberta. I was bloody near crippled by the time I hit Montana. The seats are like a reverse lumbar scoop in them, it's messed up. 10$ square throw pillow from Wal-Mart to put behind my back made it amazing though. Looking to get some lumbar support added to my seats at an upholstery shop this year hopefully.

I agree a little with you there. It would be nice if there was some kind of adjustment in the seat like the old gen 1/2 air bags.