96 GTS - having issues closing the hood

ACRJUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up a 96 GTS. When I had the dealer inspect the car, the hood closed perfectly.

I tried to close it myself for the 1st time today. It appears the rear section is lined up, then i go to the front to close the hood, pushing with both hand above the air intake. There is about a 1 inch gap all the way across the front of the hood. Anyone know what im doing wrong?

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how hot is it outside? the plastic heats up differently from the hood and will/can expand contract compared to the hood, check as well that all the plastic pins are in place. as the gap seems to be the same all the way across it would appear to be heat related. check it in the shade, also be carefull when pulling up on the drivers side consistently when opening the hood as this can cause deflection over time,

OP
OP
A

ACRJUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im in AZ so its really hot, but the car hasnt been diven recently. Where are the plastic pins? thanks for the response.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are I believe(without going and looking) 5 plastic push pins just underneath where you are pushing the hood down to close it, these attach the fascia on the top, but it does not sound like these are the problem, just sitting outside could cause it, or being 60 degrees or 110 out even in shade, bet if u wash it the gap will close up

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[QUOT

Put both hands evenly spaced about 10-12" on each side of the front vent in hood and press down evenly and firmly pushing down hard and it should close right...if it don't, do it again till u get the hang of it, ha......also make sure you know you didn't leave your sunglasses or tool or whatever laying under the hood before you close it....I have done that before, ha....

E=ACRJUD;3194210]I just picked up a 96 GTS. When I had the dealer inspect the car, the hood closed perfectly.

I tried to close it myself for the 1st time today. It appears the rear section is lined up, then i go to the front to close the hood, pushing with both hand above the air intake. There is about a 1 inch gap all the way across the front of the hood. Anyone know what im doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Close the front in two stages. Line up the back of the hood, slowly close the front with your hands above and on both sides of the naca duct. You will feel the first latch grab. Now give it a Hardee push from this height to lock it on the second stage. I've seen it where owners try to shut the hood all the way through both stages and the second stage doesn't grab.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It takes a nice little bit of down force to get it to close all the way. What you are referring to happens when you don't use enough force. You can't go from the almost closed stage to closed...you have to re-pop the hood and start again.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Close the front in two stages. Line up the back of the hood, slowly close the front with your hands above and on both sides of the naca duct. You will feel the first latch grab. Now give it a Hardee push from this height to lock it on the second stage. I've seen it where owners try to shut the hood all the way through both stages and the second stage doesn't grab.

It takes a nice little bit of down force to get it to close all the way. What you are referring to happens when you don't use enough force. You can't go from the almost closed stage to closed...you have to re-pop the hood and start again.

What they said. Just to be very clear on that last closure part, with the hood fully open, look at where the hood bolts to the metal structure that holds it up and open. Those 2 locations are where you want to apply force after you have lowered the rear portion fully into the guides at the bottom rear of the engine compartment. While the hood is fully open, look at where the 2 latches are at the very front. If you need/want to make a final push, that is where you should push. I don't have to do a last push 98% of the time. I do check my closure by lightly pulling up at the forward portion of the hood in the fender well to see that it is latched.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really should not push at the very front, you risk breaking the nose off the flimsy, unsupported section. Only in the fully down position would I ever apply pressure to that area but I have never had to. One you get stage one locked, a quick thrust will lock stage 2. Showed this to one of my locals who would simply slam the hood from full open to full closed and he switched his method because his didn't always work.

OP
OP
A

ACRJUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, i think i got it all figured out now! Had a nice little learning curve but its all good now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R