96 GTS Rear O2

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the car care if I disconnect the rear O2 sensors? I am guessing they were not used until later years. I ask because, I want to use those bungs for widebands if the car is not really using those sensors. If they are, I will have a couple bungs welded on my collector. Thanks

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know myself, but would you want the widebands pre or post cats?

OP
OP
B

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No cats so that will not be much of an issue. I just figured the bungs were already welded on the Corsa and I could just use them.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using the down stream bungs will cause a delay in the readings between what the up stream and the down stream sensors read. The gasses will also cool before they hit the down stream sensors and may cause inccurate readings.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
o2 caps are also available for the rear sensors from JEG's and summit at around $8 each

OP
OP
B

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that the A/F readings will lag a few 100 RPM's if I use the rear sensors but I would be ok with that. Just think about when Jason Heffner tunes his monster cars he uses a tail pipe sniffer. That is even farther down the exhaust and will produce even more lag but he makes it work.

In a previous car I have dynoed both ways. Dozens of times with a tail pipe sniffer and a few times with a **** I welded next to the front O2 sensor. I did notice the lag but adjusted for it when adding fuel.

From what I am reading, it sounds like my 96 will not care if the rear O2 is in or not. Is that correct?