'97 Viper stalls while driving

ViperBing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'97 Viper stalls while driving

I have a 1997 Viper that just started to stall while driving. The engine would shut off completely without any real stumbling. Almost as if the key was shut off. However, all the gauges would still work and the radio would continue to play. If I shut the car off and try to restart, it would start instantly and run fine. It initially did it twice in a short time period. Then it didn't do it again until the next day where it did it once, and then ran fine for the rest of the day. Later in the day, it stalled 3 times in 30 miles.

Any possible ideas? I am not sure that if the fuel pump shut off the car, it would die so quickly? Maybe a possible bad connection leading to the VEC2, the fuel pump booster, the fuel pump itself or a bad factory wire?

No codes are being thrown by the computer.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'97 Viper stalls while driving

I'm guessing but if no codes are being thrown, then it might seem logical that there is a short in the wiring or a loose wiring connection. Unfortunately, you will have to debug this by trial and error.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is it dieing when you come to a stoplight and put the clutch in? If so, you may have too much fuel being pulled out at high vacuum by the VEC2. If you have a negative number in there, you can bring it up to 0 and see if that solves your problem.

If it is dieing while driving, especially when you hit a bump, you might check your crank position sensor splice, the one down by the drivers side fender well and make sure it is secure. You can check the connection with the car idling and see if you notice if it cuts out when you mess with it.

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine was doing this all of the suddenon Saturday night. Come to find out, it was the crank position sensor.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score

How old is the battery?
Weak batteries do VERY strange things...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte