997 GT2 Vs. Viper SRT10 !

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really have something against traction control dont you!!!!! Sounds like some childhood withdrawl.

I have nothing against traction control on non-Vipers. You want it, you need it, go get a car that has it - there are plenty of them.

BTW I feel the same way about ABS.

And yes, it probably is childhood withdrawl. I was born in 1960, got my license at the demise of the muscle car era and suffered through the boxy uninspiring 80s wanting to slit my wrists. (preemptive apologies, as something tells me you were hotrodding something from the 80s and actually thought you were the ****) So when Dodge came out with the no-nonsense Viper in 1992 my life began again. And now non-car guys like you wanna water it down just like every other car.

Were are my razor blades?

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ring times mean jack over here bro....Look no further than the last C&D lightening lap where both Z06 and Viper went against each other...Same day same approximate time same driver etc...Keep in mind the track is 4+ miles long...Long enough for the Z06 to exert its dominance over the Viper.....It only beat the Viper by .5 in 4+ miles...Yes it won but makes you put Ring times in perspective...

To break it down further so you see exactly where Im coming from lets consider the Ring times...According to the Ring the Z06 is over 30secs faster then the Viper....That kind of superiority would show up on most tracks especially a long one like VIR with comparable turns like the Ring.....Why then only a .5 advantage for the Z06???Ring times dont mean squat unless both cars had MFG times behind them...The Viper has never had the benefit of Chrysler development or factory sponsored laps of the Ring....BTW the Viper also ran VIR faster then the 997 911 tt...You know the 911 did a Z06 beating 7:40 at the Ring...The Ring is a nice accomplishment but its far from a foolproof way to judge which car will be faster on every track..

Also look at the Vipers history vs the 911.....It dominated the 993 911TT on tracks even though the 993 911TT did much better times at the Ring..Check old MT or C&D articles if you dont believe me.......Lets just wait and see what both are capable of before we all cast our votes....To not give the Viper a chance is foolish...Its only had a history of humbling the technomarvels of the supercar world....I too think the GT2 will edge it out but I cant see it embarassing the Viper by more than 1-2secs...I think it will be close enough to be a drivers race...Cant wait for the head to head...

I would expect the GTS and RT10 to dominate the corresponding 911's, I also stated that I think the Viper would surely be potent if tested on the same level as the Porsche's and Corvette. I have no problem acknoledging the cars potential and merit as a track car, it has been proven time and time again. Not arguing that.

I also know the ring times for the Viper are nonsense and will argue that till no end.

I would like to make something clear, in the world we live in today, factory street cars are coming with about as much HP as even a closed wheel race car can effectively handle on a road course. This means that with pro drivers the margins of victory will be very small comparatively. Even comparing the ring, if it was 4-5 seconds there would add up to what 1-2 seconds on a normal course. The ring is an anomaly regardless because it doesnt not exemplify the avg.

With that being said I think the gap will be substantial in this manner (meaning just what you said but I think closer to 2 seconds, which is sizeable for cars this potent), but I do not wish to get to comparing mag times etc. I'd rather be driving on the track. We can reserve judgements for when the cars are acutally compared.

I have nothing against traction control on non-Vipers. You want it, you need it, go get a car that has it - there are plenty of them.

And yes, it probably is childhood withdrawl. I was born in 1960, got my license at the demise of the muscle car era and suffered through the boxy uninspiring 80s wanting to slit my wrists. (preemptive apologies, as something tells me you were hotrodding something from the 80s and actually thought you were the ****) So when Dodge came out with the no-nonsense Viper in 1992 my life began again. And now non-car guys like you wanna water it down just like every other car.

I see. So I'ma non car guy because I grew up in a different era? Because I like the fact that F1 has evolved to people being able to survive crashes as opposed to almost certain death, and technology has poured down into the street cars from the race cars more than ever, people are going faster than ever, and driving takes more skill than ever??

LOL, some kind of logic that is, sounds more ignorant and stuck in ways to me than anything. You expect a car in 2010 to have the same technology as it did in 1992? You need to get over it and act your age, you have plenty of 92-2002 technology to choose from, the new viper will have to step up or die. I'm surprised you dont complain about the suspension being the same, and advancing from the earlier models, or do you just fopcus on things that you can pinpoint and make a fuss about? Let's keep the same suspension as well and make the car ill-handling again, so the purists can think they know how to drive!

You are arguing over a mental concept that you cant let go of. You are so stringent that you rebuke even the options, which is rediculous. But I'm done with you, it's not worth my time because I know guys stuck in their ways like you will never change, but the Viper will, and has.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see. So I'ma non car guy because I grew up in a different era?

No, you are not a car guy because are not capable of appreciating a Ferrari for it's unique character, or a Porsche for it's unique character or a Viper for it's unique character. To you it's all about whichever is the fastest and has the latest and greatest electronic goodies.

You rely on nannie aids to make you a better driver and you don't realize the difference between nannie tech and performance tech.

You couldn't turn a fast lap in a non-ABS car to save your life and after flatspotting four corners you'd blame the car for being a POS.

And the fact that you don't understand any of the above is why you are not a car guy. You are an image guy. Enjoy your image.

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:*****: :clap2: :hail: :lmao:

No, you are not a car guy because are not capable of appreciating a Ferrari for it's unique character, or a Porsche for it's unique character or a Viper for it's unique character. To you it's all about whichever is the fastest and has the latest and greatest electronic goodies.

You rely on nannie aids to make you a better driver and you don't realize the difference between nannie tech and performance tech.

You couldn't turn a fast lap in a non-ABS car to save your life and after flatspotting four corners you'd blame the car for being a POS.

And the fact that you don't understand any of the above is why you are not a car guy. You are an image guy. Enjoy your image.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:clap2: x2

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people get into argument over comparing apples and oranges is beyond me... GT2 and Viper are different cars as far as I can see... And as far as I can see IF GT2 is going to nail Viper on any track any day (which it will) it is not going to be because of its traction control but because of its lower weight (mainly) and all other substances making it a hugely more engineered car then Viper is (gearbox, the engine, suspension... just name it). Now - whoever will nail Viper in GT2 will have to know to drive GT2 the same way as a Viper driver must know Viper in order to stay on track through the curves. These two cars are so different with weight distribution being a primary factor that you just can't compare them, much less get into argument over these two... Nose heavy. Ass heavy. Go on...

On a nanie tech thing - I for one would love to have defeatable traction control (meaning controlling spin on rear wheels when too much power applied) for cold and wet days but I would throw out things like PSM (alas Porsche Stability Management) in a heartbeat since it is no good for car to be a drivers car. It's so funny looking at P'guys cooling their brakes after only a few laps wondering 'gosh am I braking so much?' only to realize that PSM applies through the brakes and thay can't switch it off:))) While I am making in my Viper one consistent lap after another for full 30 minutes:))) (Although it's very said to get into corners behind GT3, these 300+ extra pounds are killing me...)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ferrari's unique character has changed over the years, and so has Porsches and so has the Vipers, and they get the same moans and groans from people like you who never want anything on the car to change and for them to stop selling because of it (the end result) yet technology has been crucial in making cars faster and safer at the same time while still putting an emphasis on driver ability.

I have driven older Porsches that are ten times more difficult to drive than a Viper, no abs, bad snap oversteer, and all kinds of handling difficulties with no problem, you judge me based on what? Nothing, you are an average track driver with a fast car. You have no idea of my driving ability. Niether can you differentiate between me saying TC would be helpful for the MAJORITY of viper drivers (meaning having nothing to do with myself).

If you honestly think you are a better driver than me, I have offered a challenge, yet you refuse to accept. There are several racing series that have ABS, and TC, but I suppose you are better than the pros too huh? Your logic is aweful and muiguided.

When you are ready to actually show some skills on the track instead of running your mouth, then let me know, until then, dont challenge my driving skills when you know nothing about me.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you are ready to actually show some skills on the track instead of running your mouth, then let me know, until then, dont challenge my driving skills when you know nothing about me.

But I do know something about you from your naive, uniformed and immature writing style. You've peppered this site with it and probably the vette site too if I bothered to troll there as you do here.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
people like you who never want anything on the car to change and for them to stop selling because of it (the end result) yet technology has been crucial in making cars faster and safer at the same time while still putting an emphasis on driver ability.

Oh noes. Now we need to put paddles and TC on Vipers or nobody will buy them!!!

Apparently you don't realize how few Vipers are built annually and the reason behind it.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm with Chuck on this one....this post makes me wish I hunted you down at the ralley last week. Except I was born in the late 70's :D

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh noes. Now we need to put paddles and TC on Vipers or nobody will buy them!!!

Apparently you don't realize how few Vipers are built annually and the reason behind it.

To be someone who thinks they can drive, your comrehension skills are aweful, if I say yeah to TC, then I have to be an advocate for Paddles, auto pilot, full leater and everything huh? I hope you dont do your own work on your car with comprehension skills like that.

You continue to challenge my driving skills yet start back pedaling everytime I challenge you to meet at a track, what's up man, put up or shutup!!!!!!!!

I CHALLENGE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be someone who thinks they can drive, your comrehension skills are aweful, if I say yeah to TC, then I have to be an advocate for Paddles, auto pilot, full leater and everything huh? I hope you dont do your own work on your car with comprehension skills like that.

You continue to challenge my driving skills yet start back pedaling everytime I challenge you to meet at a track, what's up man, put up or shutup!!!!!!!!

Feel free to take out your penis every time you're on a losing side of an argument. :rolleyes:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to pipe in here. If it burns gas and goes fast - it's a safe bet that I'll like it.

Some cars I like more than others but that's simply my preference. However, when I race I want the fastest car on the track at that moment. I only like it if I can win in it. I race about 15 times a year (a NASCAR stock car on the oval and I roadrace a GT3 Toyota) and I'm only happy with the car if I win.

For track days it's much more complicated. I want a car that makes ME feel good. One that I can have fun in. And for me, the Viper tops the list.

As a track driving school instructor I get to drive many cars from the Exige S (great car - no fun), McLaren SLR (ton of fun - wierd brakes) to the Ferrari F-430 (fantastic car), Porsche Carrera GT (excellent car) and the Masratti MC-12 (I LOVE THIS CAR!!) and Corvette Z06 (just not fun).

Frequently we get students ask us to drive their cars and give them a bit of a thrill ride. I had a student ask me to do this that had an SRT-10. Well - I fell in love. For the dollar it's the most fun car out there. I had just sold my NSX so I bought an SRT-10 at the first opportunity and I've loved it since.

BTW - styling also matters. It can make you feel good about your car and with Porsche the stylist were either drunk or they spent their art classes drawing frogs. Seriously - if you can draw a frog you can be a Porsche stylist!

My $0.02.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feel free to take out your penis every time you're on a losing side of an argument. :rolleyes:

Losing side???? You 2-3 people are getting blasted in several threads for your stuborness, yet I'm on the losing side?

Besides there is only so many times I'm going to let someone tell me I cant drive because I think a car should have TC for it's owners (NOT ME). If he thinks that and is so good that he can criticize me, then he can back it up, no?

Then he runs to the cave and his little do-boys come to the rescue, let his behind try and cash the check that his mouth wrote. If you talk about people unjustly for long enough, eventually you'll get called on it.

RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My Gawd, I'm being "challenged" by a 16-year-old. ooooooh.

My 2008 schedule will be on my site by the end of the year. You are welcome to come to any of the events...if you're old enough by then. Some of the organizations have minimum age limits.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gawd, I'm being "challenged" by a 16-year-old. ooooooh.

My 2008 schedule will be on my site by the end of the year. You are welcome to come to any of the events...if you're old enough by then. Some of the organizations have minimum age limits.

The same ole circles we go in huh?

You - "you **** at driving and need TC"
Me- "well lets meet at the track"
You - "......................................"
Me- " hello ...... where did you go?"
You- bring your daddys car 9 year old

You are so very predictable, but continue back pedaling, as you always do, you talk the talk and then run, very commendable.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Losing side???? You 2-3 people are getting blasted in several threads for your stuborness, yet I'm on the losing side?

Besides there is only so many times I'm going to let someone tell me I cant drive because I think a car should have TC for it's owners (NOT ME). If he thinks that and is so good that he can criticize me, then he can back it up, no?

Then he runs to the cave and his little do-boys come to the rescue, let his behind try and cash the check that his mouth wrote. If you talk about people unjustly for long enough, eventually you'll get called on it.

RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow... you can count to 3 now. Did mommy put a gold star on your forehead? :rolaugh:

Since you're such the hot stud at the track, why don't you post some times on different tracks for us. I mean, I'd like to get a good idea how good you really are. Of course, you can lie your @$$ off, but we'll assume you're an honest person for yuck's sake.

Perhaps maybe even a picture in front of your "car". I mean you're here on a Viper site with no Viper... maybe you're really 16, zit-faced and driving your mom's corolla. I'm not saying that's the case, just a possibility. We're all verified as legit with VINs and many have met offline. You're a nobody troll.

But hey, if you're embarrassed of your penis, you can walk away. We won't make fun of you... much. You play it straight, and we might even show you a little respect. As it stands now, you're just alll talk. :pokey:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same ole circles we go in huh?

You - "you **** at driving and need TC"
Me- "well lets meet at the track"
You - "......................................"
Me- " hello ...... where did you go?"
You- bring your daddys car 9 year old

You are so very predictable, but continue back pedaling, as you always do, you talk the talk and then run, very commendable.

Yeah, I'm running. :rolleyes: My site is in my sig. How many times do I gotta tell you you are welcome to come to any of the events and prove to me what a great and knowledgable driver you are. And if it is that important to you please come, because you aren't really saying anything very intelligent on this board.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And for the record, I can knock off a 2:24 at Sebring in my no-nannie 10-year-old, stocker GTS. Some could beat that, some couldn't. I've got 13,000 posts on this board, have been here for eight years and everybody here knows me. Please don't make another stupid comment about "running away" from anything, it really makes you look like a bigger idiot than suspected, which is all any of us really know about you. Got a website? Myspace? Car? Or just another trolling child having fun? In that case, enjoy. It's been fun.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... you can count to 3 now. Did mommy put a gold star on your forehead? :rolaugh:

Since you're such the hot stud at the track, why don't you post some times on different tracks for us. I mean, I'd like to get a good idea how good you really are. Of course, you can lie your @$$ off, but we'll assume you're an honest person for yuck's sake.

Perhaps maybe even a picture in front of your "car". I mean you're here on a Viper site with no Viper... maybe you're really 16, zit-faced and driving your mom's corolla. I'm not saying that's the case, just a possibility. We're all verified as legit with VINs and many have met offline. You're a nobody troll.

But hey, if you're embarrassed of your penis, you can walk away. We won't make fun of you... much. You play it straight, and we might even show you a little respect. As it stands now, you're just alll talk. :pokey:

And for the record, I can knock off a 2:24 at Sebring in my no-nannie 10-year-old, stocker GTS. Some could beat that, some couldn't. I've got 13,000 posts on this board, have been here for eight years and everybody here knows me. Please don't make another stupid comment about "running away" from anything, it really makes you look like a bigger idiot than suspected, which is all any of us really know about you. Got a website? Myspace? Car? Or just another trolling child having fun? In that case, enjoy. It's been fun.

And you dont look like an idiot, criticizing someone's driving skills becasue of a feature they think would be good overall on a car??? Teapot..........

I have a site vmaxatl.com, I own it (SN Heavychevy), there are pictures there and you'll likely find "some" laptimes. But you better beleive when I learn Sebring, I'll be going faster than 2:24. 996 Turbo S w/ ECU EXHAUST COILOVERS, that's it 3600 lbs race weight 440 rwhp.

I had the fastest lap out of everyone at this weekends Nasa event running time trials. By over 1.2 seconds (1:36.6) , I run a couple of (2-3) seconds behind built Z06's w/ more power and 450 lbs less racing weight at Road Atlanta (on 25 cycle old hoosiers) (1:35.6). TTU which is my time trial class (nasa-tt.com), is one class above class TTS which has a track record of 2:24 at Sebring and there is no track I am not capable of beating the TTS class record by more than a couple of seconds.

I'm pretty new as I have only done this for 1.5 years. But you wont talk like that to me and not expect to have to back it up, you can beleive that. Especially since we have cars that would likely be classed the same. Great drivers are humble and never criticize anyone else unless asked to, so obviously you havent learned the most important aspect of racing.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither does your "About Us" page.

And please don't make me register with another discussion board. I'm not the trolling type. Just send me a temp username and password. I'll be nice, I promise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960